HiFiMan Susvara
May 8, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #3,646 of 25,437
Is it too big or small? How can a 2.5mm not fit... no idea. Mine looks exactly like yours.

Is it this connector?

eidolic-2018-2-5-mm-ts-oppo-audioquest-pm-1-2-sennheiser-hd800-connector-plug-plugs-connectors-01-700x700.png

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #3,647 of 25,437
Yes is that connector. It feels as if the tip is to fat and I need to really force it to go in.. Is that normal? I really don't want to force it unless is normal. The other type just go in like normal.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3,649 of 25,437
At a meet, I heard the THX drive the Susvara just fine. I guess I don't listen that loud. Even on the THX, the Susvara was still the best sounding can in the room.

The only other thing here is that you are comparing a $300 amp with a $6K amp. I don't think you have to go to that extreme to beat the THX. An amp in the middle ground will surely do the job too???
The susvara still sounds good on the THX, and better than most headphones. But the lowend even at lower volumes really does struggle to keep up to what they're capable of.
Its not at all that they sound bad on the 789, they don't.
They sound good, but then when you put them on an amp that can run them properly they just open up and sound bottomless.

Having used them on the 789 for a week or so whilst I waited for my AHB2 to arrive, I wasn't expecting much difference as I was already very happy with them on the 789. But then I hooked them up and immediately my face lit up with a smile. It was a real "Oh holy **** THAT'S how they're supposed to sound!"

The difference I can most easily compare it to would be going from a two-way studio monitor setup, to a two monitors + subwoofer setup, with the crossover done perrrrfectly.
Suddenly the impact, depth, control all improved. As did the stage and other areas of the FR due to transients not being screwed up when the lowend got busy.

I'm not at all saying you need to go all the way to the AHB2 to run susvaras, the reason I picked it was because it and the 789 are both THX based, and so I'd be able to hear the differences in power alone and not amp flavouring.
The fact that other (mostly dynamic) headphones sound nearly the same (though slightly better on the AHB2) shows that worked.

I'm just saying that you do really need a beefy amp if you want to get the performance out of the headphones you just spent 6k on. And its not just about wattage, these things need current, a LOT of it.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #3,650 of 25,437
I just try to force, that’s a no go. They are different for sure. My caliper resister an over all 2.5mm OD BUT at the tip it register 2.29 on the silver and 2.25 on the copper. This is true for both the Susvara cable and the copper cable. (Minuscule difference on the tip but is making a difference.)

This is crazy many people use this connector with their Susvaras. Why is mine different? Is this a “hidden” revision thing?

May 9, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,654 of 25,437
They could have been discontinued now, I got them from Norne Audio, 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply... Yea, It seems like a tolerance problem on my susvaras.
This are .4 bigger on the tip and seem to be the problem. I am not sure if to contact HiFiMan or just let it be.

The cable maker was awesome and took them back to change the connectors to the ones that work.

May 9, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,655 of 25,437
Suddenly the impact, depth, control all improved.

Exactly, the sensation of scale and crack they can do if powered well, damn! But probably one of the best things about this is that Susvara goes crazy loud and isn't shouty or piercing. It just effortlessly goes and goes, hits harder and harder.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 10, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #3,657 of 25,437
Just ordered a pair. Do these come with a 4pin XLR cable stock? Based on everything I've read, really looking forward to hearing these.

May 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3,659 of 25,437
Just ordered a pair. Do these come with a 4pin XLR cable stock? Based on everything I've read, really looking forward to hearing these.
They do...though you may want to consider ordering a custom one. The stock one is...well see for yourself https://streamable.com/n92kbk
it literally makes noise by itself

The headphones are amazing (but need serious amping)
The box is the best of anything i've owned
The cable should not exist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back