HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,197 of 25,511
can I ask please how the susvara compares to hifiman HE1000SE, and would hugo tt2 be enough to power it and would it be a good synergy between susvara and hugo tt2

Dec 26, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3,198 of 25,511
can I ask please how the susvara compares to hifiman HE1000SE, and would hugo tt2 be enough to power it and would it be a good synergy between susvara and hugo tt2

TT2 has enough power from the XLR outputs on the rear. I prefer my current set up with the Kinki EX-M1 over the direct from the TT2. Synergy is ok, but not great with the Susvara direct from the TT2, after extended listening, I found it a bit bright and piercing.

No clue about the HE1000se, as I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. Apologies.

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #3,199 of 25,511
TT2 has enough power from the XLR outputs on the rear. I prefer my current set up with the Kinki EX-M1 over the direct from the TT2. Synergy is ok, but not great with the Susvara direct from the TT2, after extended listening, I found it a bit bright and piercing.

No clue about the HE1000se, as I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. Apologies.

that's not good news as i was considering selling my SE to upgrade to susvara, how bout into the following chain

ifi ican pro---hugo tt2--- susvara

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,201 of 25,511
Hmm Studio Kinki, huh? I thought I had heard all the names before. I would really like to know what else the fabricate in that studio, apart from integrated amplifiers, especially after normal working hours:)

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #3,202 of 25,511

If the treble on Susvara is bright and piercing when driven by the XLR outputs of the Hugo TT2, doesn't that mean that the Hugo TT2 is underpowered for driving the Susvara? The XLR outputs from the back of the Hugo TT2 are reported as 20WPC at 8ohms per their spec sheet. Since the Susvara is almost as inefficient as the HE-6, then 20WPC at 8ohms isn't enough. Amps with >=40WPC at 8ohms have been recommended for driving the HE-6.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #3,203 of 25,511
Just thought I'd share some recent Susvara insights.

1) My Susvara was suffering from the squeaky gimbal syndrome. Super annoying and makes the headphones feel cheap. Well, I fixed them today! :) took off the two little philips screws on the inside of where the headband connects to the ear cups. Inside there is a little metal rod and tube that allows you to swivel the ear cups.

I just greased them with petroleum jelly and reattached them. No more squeaky sound - completely silent! Now they don't feel/sound cheap

2) I had been running my susvara directly from my ADI-2 DAC which only has single ended output. It sounded pretty good. I felt, there was little difference whether I did balanced or single ended.

When I got my AAA 789, I tried it single-ended so that I could use the XLR outs to feed my speaker amp instead.

It sounded horrible. Distorted and like from a tin can. I also tried other dacs, and through single ended output, sounded exactly the same. I had mistakenly concluded that it just sucked.

Turns out the single-ended output on AAA 789 is complete crap. Just tried the balanced outputs of the ADI-2 DAC into the AAA 789 and used the balanced headphone output....

Man it sounds amazing again! Never use the AAA 789 single ended inputs or outputs. they suck.

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,204 of 25,511
If the treble on Susvara is bright and piercing when driven by the XLR outputs of the Hugo TT2, doesn't that mean that the Hugo TT2 is underpowered for driving the Susvara? The XLR outputs from the back of the Hugo TT2 are reported as 20WPC at 8ohms per their spec sheet. Since the Susvara is almost as inefficient as the HE-6, then 20WPC at 8ohms isn't enough. Amps with >=40WPC at 8ohms have been recommended for driving the HE-6.

I find reading about susvara and power requirements very interesting....I am currently using the formula s/powerman combination with the susvara and I find it a wonderful match....I think the combo maxes out at 6 watts in 16ohms and yet I see no evidence of any trouble driving the susvara...I have also owned more powerful HP amps and find the formula s combo to better them....just one man opinion

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #3,206 of 25,511
I am not sure what the point of a susvara jr would be, we already have the 1000se which is pretty much a susvara jr!

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,208 of 25,511

Users who are viewing this thread

Back