HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #2,986 of 24,903
it does, it still needs ample power but not as much as susvara

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,987 of 24,903
Agree that the Abyss's require less power for sure (about half as much, seems like), but as far as I can tell, they're still the hardest to drive headphones out there aside from the two aforementioned Hifimans.

So still a prime candidate for the ole speaker amp treatment, IMO. Although the designer has made regular cautionary responses to the question of using speaker amps with them, so I'd have to assume they're definitely vulnerable to getting blown out if fed the wrong amount of power!

Nevertheless, I'm really interested to find out for myself how the TC responds to a good speaker amp compared to the GS-X's, V281's, and Formula S's of the world. And how it stacks up to the Susvara driven by the same speaker amp...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #2,988 of 24,903
Used to have the GSX MkII and it doesn't really do HE6 justice, a cheap 20 watts speaker amp easily bests it in bass extension, soundstage and headroom. Since Susvara has roughly the same sensitivity as HE6, I would suggest getting a cheapo speaker amp instead of the GsX. Not that the GSX isn't good, they just aren't beefy enough for the most power-hungry cans i.e. Abyss, Susvara, he6.
Agreed.

Most of us here not recommending the gsx happen to be ex-owners of it
Oh also, we have since moved on to better amps for the Susvara.
If the GSX was that ideal we would have kept it anyway, just saying

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #2,989 of 24,903
Agreed.

Most of us here not recommending the gsx happen to be ex-owners of it
Oh also, we have since moved on to better amps for the Susvara.
If the GSX was that ideal we would have kept it anyway, just saying
Yeah. I've always regretted paying the full price for GsX. It isn't a bad amp per se, but for the price you can do much better.
Even when I had the GsX I never thought its an all-rounder. The sound has this hardness that's really hard to describe, music just doesn't sound fluid.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,990 of 24,903
Agree that the Abyss's require less power for sure (about half as much, seems like), but as far as I can tell, they're still the hardest to drive headphones out there aside from the two aforementioned Hifimans.

So still a prime candidate for the ole speaker amp treatment, IMO. Although the designer has made regular cautionary responses to the question of using speaker amps with them, so I'd have to assume they're definitely vulnerable to getting blown out if fed the wrong amount of power!

Nevertheless, I'm really interested to find out for myself how the TC responds to a good speaker amp compared to the GS-X's, V281's, and Formula S's of the world. And how it stacks up to the Susvara driven by the same speaker amp...
I think Joe's either seen enough headphones fallen victim to speaker amps or is extremely averse to the idea of speaker amps driving HPs. Fang openly encourages people to power HE6/Sus with speaker amps while Joe gathers every tid bit of info he can to discourage that.

Hell, I power my 007s with 80W speaker amps thru SRD7pro adapter. They're fine.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #2,991 of 24,903
quite sure I will be selling my brand new Susvara in the coming weeks. $3700.

anyone interested DM me to get 1st in line.

they are great... but I really think I enjoy the Bass response of the 4Z. Going to test an LCD 4. If they work the Susvara are gone.

FYI.. Susvara are WAY better than LCD 24 in every aspect.... everything is better... bass, mids highs.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,992 of 24,903
I use the formula s/powerman combo with my TC and find it a marvelous combo.....I also had used the 281 which was good but not as good and the wells Milo again good but not as good....I have less than zero interest in a speaker amp

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #2,995 of 24,903
It would be great if someone could compare the HPA4 with the AHB2 driving the SUSVARA, especially with the CHORD DAVE or equivalent level DAC.

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing, having just (finally) gotten the AHB2 to go between my Dave and Susvara (and friends).

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #2,996 of 24,903
I think Joe's either seen enough headphones fallen victim to speaker amps or is extremely averse to the idea of speaker amps driving HPs. Fang openly encourages people to power HE6/Sus with speaker amps while Joe gathers every tid bit of info he can to discourage that.

Hell, I power my 007s with 80W speaker amps thru SRD7pro adapter. They're fine.

I had the much more sensitive Sennheiser HD800 run from the taps of a power 250watt power amp & it was fine. I can only see the Susvara or Abyss blowing the drivers if the volume is at max on those power amps when turned on.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #2,999 of 24,903
I can only see the Susvara or Abyss blowing the drivers if the volume is at max on those power amps when turned on.

Yes, power amps feeding Susvaras from taps directly might sound scary, but one would have to go to really loud unlistenable levels to break them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #3,000 of 24,903
Haha, I was just thinking the same thing, having just (finally) gotten the AHB2 to go between my Dave and Susvara (and friends).
Bimmer100 has an opinion:

Is the HPA4 driving the Hifiman Susvara enough or will I need to use the ABH2 speaker taps to get the most out of the Susvara?

the HPA4 has more than enough power to drive the susvara. I own both HPA4 and AHB2 and would never consider using the AHB2 with the susvara's. I'm quite happy with the performance and few amps have the grunt for the susvara's. however HPA4 will deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back