HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 24, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #2,881 of 25,491
Anyone else here have their "HarmonyPads" fall apart on them? It's happened to me twice in six months.

The first time was with the original pads that came with the Susvara (at least I assume they were the original pads, as I got them used...). Both sides started tearing in multiple points -- almost simultaneously, interestingly enough -- all in the course of about a week.

After I paid for replacements, six months later, one side started tearing, and within a few days the leather was disconnected from the plastic ring around a greater-than-180 degree arc.

By "tearing" I mean simply that the leather-ish material was disconnecting from the plastic rings, as all that's holding them in place is a very narrow contact patch of glue around the circumference of the plastic ring. Either the glue is seriously defective, and/or it's just a bad decision (design flaw) to bond the leather material to plastic in this manner in the first place.

Anyway, just a PSA, if you notice this start happening to your pads, you can probably head it off by using some super-glue on the disconnected area and prevent it from tearing any further. I did this on my failing pad with success (though because so much of it had disconnected, and my arts-and-crafts skills are about a 0.5 out of 10, the leather is a little bunched up in a couple places and so it looks a little janky, but whatever for now, at least they're functional for the time being).

Email them. They gave me a free set no questions asked. I did send a picture of my old pads, receipt and certificate.

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #2,882 of 25,491
Ah yea, that's good info. They said they'd replace them if I can produce the original owner's invoice, which I'm trying to obtain now (I may not be able to tho, we'll see).

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #2,883 of 25,491
On a different note, I bought the Lazuli Ultra cable from a buddy. This is of course an.. uh.. polarizing cable due to its list price. But it's a pretty interesting cable in a number of ways. I don't want to say more until I've lived with it for a while and done more A-versus-B testing against the incumbent, which is a Lavricables Grand Core 20.

One thing for sure though, having borrowed this cable for a while previously recently, is that whether it works well or not for a given user is largely a matter of synergy and preference. Of course that should go without saying, but is worth saying again, as these "Ultra"-expensive cables can sometimes draw out our irrational expectations based on price alone...

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,884 of 25,491
On a different note, I bought the Lazuli Ultra cable from a buddy. This is of course an.. uh.. polarizing cable due to its list price. But it's a pretty interesting cable in a number of ways. I don't want to say more until I've lived with it for a while and done more A-versus-B testing against the incumbent, which is a Lavricables Grand Core 20.

One thing for sure though, having borrowed this cable for a while previously recently, is that whether it works well or not for a given user is largely a matter of synergy and preference. Of course that should go without saying, but is worth saying again, as these "Ultra"-expensive cables can sometimes draw out our irrational expectations based on price alone...

I'm all for expensive cables for cosmesis and ergonomics. I just don't have the ears to really discern the difference between cables. Sometimes I feel I can hear some difference, but I have never found any cable to sway my decision to get a headphone or not. That being said I did pay a lot for my cable. :dt880smile:

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #2,885 of 25,491
Anyone else here have their "HarmonyPads" fall apart on them? It's happened to me twice in six months.

The first time was with the original pads that came with the Susvara (at least I assume they were the original pads, as I got them used...). Both sides started tearing in multiple points -- almost simultaneously, interestingly enough -- all in the course of about a week.

After I paid for replacements, six months later, one side started tearing, and within a few days the leather was disconnected from the plastic ring around a greater-than-180 degree arc.

By "tearing" I mean simply that the leather-ish material was disconnecting from the plastic rings, as all that's holding them in place is a very narrow contact patch of glue around the circumference of the plastic ring. Either the glue is seriously defective, and/or it's just a bad decision (design flaw) to bond the leather material to plastic in this manner in the first place.

Anyway, just a PSA, if you notice this start happening to your pads, you can probably head it off by using some super-glue on the disconnected area and prevent it from tearing any further. I did this on my failing pad with success (though because so much of it had disconnected, and my arts-and-crafts skills are about a 0.5 out of 10, the leather is a little bunched up in a couple places and so it looks a little janky, but whatever for now, at least they're functional for the time being).

I am now on my 3rd set of earpads in the first 18 months of use. They are extremely poorly constructed and they disintegrate easily. HiFiMan needs to perform a major revision of their construction that doesn't involve a simple glue job. It is ridiculous that such an expensive headphone would have such poorly made earpads.

Jeff.

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,886 of 25,491
I'm all for expensive cables for cosmesis and ergonomics. I just don't have the ears to really discern the difference between cables. Sometimes I feel I can hear some difference, but I have never found any cable to sway my decision to get a headphone or not. That being said I did pay a lot for my cable. :dt880smile:

As a Susvara owner I can say that these cans respond to cables (and every single product in a system as well) rather nicely, but a degree of cable input depends heavily on setup. The more transparent it is, the easier it is for all differences to emerge.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 26, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,887 of 25,491
As a Susvara owner I can say that these cans respond to cables (and every single product in a system as well) rather nicely, but a degree of cable input depends heavily on setup. The more transparent it is, the easier it is for all differences to emerge.

I have accepted the fact that I just don't have the hearing acuity to pick up the sublties of cables. I wish I do because I invest in nice cables.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,888 of 25,491
I have accepted the fact that I just don't have the hearing acuity to pick up the sublties of cables. I wish I do because I invest in nice cables.

I’m in the same camp as you. I buy nice, aftermarket cables because of how they look, how they feel, and at the perfect length for my preferences. But I never hear much difference, and if I do at all, it’s a very tiny difference.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #2,889 of 25,491

It's so tempting to inject some marketing in here... I must resist!

On a more serious note, buying cables for their looks is also an idea. Headphones are looking better and better after all, it makes sense to have nice additions for them. OK, to me it makes sense. I like nicely looking things.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,890 of 25,491
Manny cablers not only look better but also may be easier to use, tangle less...be lighter etc

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,891 of 25,491
It's so tempting to inject some marketing in here... I must resist!

On a more serious note, buying cables for their looks is also an idea. Headphones are looking better and better after all, it makes sense to have nice additions for them. OK, to me it makes sense. I like nicely looking things.

I also went through a phase of obsessing over power supply and linear power supplies.

y4mY3-YO-EZ-01Pal3p0IxLuYeY0UOHtSsmMuZvokyWLuGzh4-J_6QmfAegRUsEIQIimEhL-xWQfodSZe1WzIBMMlvA9vHt1toDt9l6AEjnuK4npk4NAo2aq7y_jccPknq3iEblG8SlhrEkE7KkJrYaDnX-2B3S-vp_Tod2dl7qj1aPPztoG2i0tZSGtNvxVZX6fMuWlqV9tEvMQYTOe4cuUg

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,892 of 25,491
I also went through a phase of obsessing over power supply and linear power supplies.

Power supply is quite critical if someone asks us, but most likely now you now that after all your experiences.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #2,893 of 25,491
HP and cables and power supply are expensive because they sound good.:wink:

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #2,895 of 25,491
Hey guys I'm considering investing in the Susvara and am curious if the WA22 will be able to power it to quality levels. If not any other amp recommendations that aren't insanely priced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back