HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 2, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #2,476 of 25,535
Let's wait for the new Heddphone to come out. I have slight inclination that it will as good or even better as the Susvara for a third of the price.
What headphone?

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #2,478 of 25,535
This "Heddphone" is 38 ohms and 90 dB SPL/1mW according to their website. In terms of insensitivity, this is not far off from the Abyss Phi TC, which is 47 ohms/88 dB. So we may be again talking about the upper end of what the typical headphone amp can drive effectively, or, what I would call comfortable speaker amp territory. I guess we'll see though.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,479 of 25,535
After owning the Susvara for almost a year now. I can confidently say, it's just hard to beat. One quality we don't usually use to describe headphones is euphoria. It gives you a very unique sense of enjoyment. I don't usually keep gear for more than 6 months.
I completely agree. I got the Susvara’s out yesterday and from the first note on I sat with a smile on my face. This is the most complete headphone I’ve heard to date. I’m really struggling to find fault in it. It’s open sounding, dynamic, has superb imaging, impactful bass, and has this air around the notes that makes it so effortless in its delivery. Maybe 3D aura realism is a good way to describe my experience with the Susvara’s.

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #2,480 of 25,535
it is magnificent....tough to choose between it and the abyss TC

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2,481 of 25,535
it is magnificent....tough to choose between it and the abyss TC
When I had my Abyss Phi’s they were 1A and 1B in sound. What gave the Susvara’s the edge for me was comfort. I didn’t have to adjust the Susvara’s at all when on my head but I was always fiddling around with Abyss to get the right fit. Another thing I didn’t like about the Abyss was how the fit would change the sound depending how they were sitting on your head. No such issue with the Susvara’s.

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #2,482 of 25,535
agreed, that said the TC is an improvement on the Phi's and if you are in the mood for a more dynamic larger sound the abyss is your HP......both are extraordinay

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,483 of 25,535
When I had my Abyss Phi’s they were 1A and 1B in sound. What gave the Susvara’s the edge for me was comfort. I didn’t have to adjust the Susvara’s at all when on my head but I was always fiddling around with Abyss to get the right fit. Another thing I didn’t like about the Abyss was how the fit would change the sound depending how they were sitting on your head. No such issue with the Susvara’s.
What amp are you using to drive the SUSVARA?

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #2,484 of 25,535
What amp are you using to drive the SUSVARA?
Burson Timekeeper with the Pro iCan as the preamp and Hugo 2 as my DAC

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,485 of 25,535
After owning the Susvara for almost a year now. I can confidently say, it's just hard to beat. One quality we don't usually use to describe headphones is euphoria. It gives you a very unique sense of enjoyment. I don't usually keep gear for more than 6 months.

I completely agree. I got the Susvara’s out yesterday and from the first note on I sat with a smile on my face. This is the most complete headphone I’ve heard to date. I’m really struggling to find fault in it. It’s open sounding, dynamic, has superb imaging, impactful bass, and has this air around the notes that makes it so effortless in its delivery. Maybe 3D aura realism is a good way to describe my experience with the Susvara’s.
Good points...
I myself found the Abyss phi bass not as totally accurate as the Susvara.
I also found the Susvera to sound more organic and more natural over the stax009.

So yeah, I can see how the Susvara can be viewed as the most overall completely well rounded headphone, at that highest resolve, end game level.
The others are still all at the top, but as they say in movies, "there can only be one".
So far, I don't believe the Susvara is beaten in this aspect of total well rounded satisfaction, even with the Raal sr1a.
Yet this is all personal preference at this point.

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #2,486 of 25,535
The Susvara is never really good without excellent amplification according to the majority of posts so need to have a package system. I have a DAVE and exploring best amp combination for the money to use with Susvara and have no way to audition and do side by side comparisons.

It would be great if someone could do a review of the Susvara comparing various amps since there appear to be two camps, a relatively low power headphone amp enthusiast and high power speaker amp enthusiast. In many cases the dedicated headphone amp is more expensive than a speaker amp. Case in point:Eleven XI Audio Formula S Headphone Amplifier and PowerMan.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #2,487 of 25,535
I have just purchased the susvara, great to join the discussion here. Will check which cable suits susvara also!

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,488 of 25,535
I saw dhc, brise, and danacable. Any recommendations?

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,489 of 25,535
I saw dhc, brise, and danacable. Any recommendations?
I’m using the DHC Prion 4 Cable and it’s fantastic with the Susvara’s. I got mine second hand from friend of mine here on Head-fi. So I got it for a nice discounted price. I see them come up for sale in the classifieds from time to time. It might worth checking out.

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,490 of 25,535
Hi,

Agree with @Slim1970 , DHC Prion 4 no doubt. In my case special spades connectors to speakers tabs since I use a VIVA Solista amp.

True that Susvara has no competitor at least in my favorite field, Classical Symphonies, even if MySphere 3 has a larger soundstage (more airy, also very accurate) but far away so immersive.
Susvara needs power, for sure, but a powerful tube amp with big output transformers brings to headphones very deep bass and openness I find imho not encountered in transistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back