HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #1,921 of 24,902
i have my dave at -3 when connected to my violectric 281

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,922 of 24,902
Is there a recommended volume level on the Dave when you have it connected to a hp amp? HPA-1 to be exact? I remember reading on here somewhere -9 dB was ideal. At maximum of 19 dB, I do get some static listening to Susvaras but seems okay up to about 10 dB and was wondering if it could be harmful.

You use your Dave in the Preamp mode. I use my Dave in the DAC mode when connected to an external headphone amp or an external preamp. In the DAC mode, the volume control of Dave is off (and I think it is fixed to -3 dB).

EDIT: wufospls2 was faster :)
I have never compared the DAC mode to the Preamp mode set to -3 dB.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #1,923 of 24,902
Searched the thread and couldn’t find it... has anyone had a chance to spend time with both Susvara and HE1000se and can comment on the differences? I own a HE1000se but I only heard Susvara briefly st CanJam last year so that wasn’t a good evaluation at all.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,926 of 24,902
I would love some new pads for the Susvaras, something deeper with more cushion perhaps. I purchased a pair of dekoni pads they had recommended for the Susvara but they were way too small. I told them about it as I was returning them. They took out Susvaras as compatible hp for the pads on their website since.

I ordered Brainwaz XL Sheep Skin. They are coming tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,928 of 24,902
I'm THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a XIaudio Formula S to pair with my susvara, any last words or interventions before I actually go ahead?

Do it

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,929 of 24,902
I would love some new pads for the Susvaras, something deeper with more cushion perhaps. I purchased a pair of dekoni pads they had recommended for the Susvara but they were way too small. I told them about it as I was returning them. They took out Susvaras as compatible hp for the pads on their website since.
I love the original velour pads which came with HE1000. Can't see the reason why Hifiman don't make them as an optional purchase for the Susvara as well.

Some people complained that they get warm over time, but I'll take the additional warmth, which isn't all that annoying, over polyester pads which they started shipping with v2 and are clearly not as comfortable.

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,930 of 24,902
I'm THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a XIaudio Formula S to pair with my susvara, any last words or interventions before I actually go ahead?

Are you just getting the S or are you getting the Powerman also?

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,931 of 24,902
Are you just getting the S or are you getting the Powerman also?

Just the S is the main priority for now. I'm kinda short changed for cash because of a couple purchases outside of Hifi but I can still scrape together enough for the amp. The power supply can come later.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the upcoming canjam, that they'll unveil something even better there...

Project86's review of the Niimbus US4+ has also gotten me really interested in that amp but the second hand market doesn't seem to have many currently seeing that its so new.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #1,932 of 24,902
I installed the Brainwavz XL Sheep Skin pads today. They are very good fit. It's not perfect like the stock pads, but they are as close as it gets. The stock pads has slight tear drop shape, so they are not perfectly round. I had to order earpad mounting rings from Hifiman which is $30 ($20+$10 shipping from China). These rings are flimsy as hell. The outer part of one of them snapped, but it's minor enough where once the pads are installed I couldn't tell a difference. This is my first experience swapping out Hifiman pads, and it's not a great experience. The way they are designed makes it quite difficult to snap all 4 clips back in place. It was a lot of effort, and I didn't want to damage the driver. The good thing is that the driver part is very robust. It does upset me that for $6K, Hifiman couldn't add a magnetic earpad mounting system like Abyss.

Overall these are definitely more comfortable than the stock pads. My ear now never touches the driver. In terms of softness, it's slightly softer than the stock pads.

I'll update you guys on the sound change, initial impression is that it sounds a little airier probably due to deeper pads. Overall not dramatic.

Note in the top Brainwavz have too wide of a sleeve, so I had to trim a little off to help put them on. The stock pads (bottom left) are glued on to the mounting ring.

20190105_213050.jpg
20190105_224941.jpg
20190105_224955.jpg
20190105_225032.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,933 of 24,902
Update of the Brainwavz:

I was unhappy with how the sleeves of the pads being loose fit. So today I took them off and used some shoe glue to glue the sleeves 360 degrees around the mounting ring. Now cosmetically, it looks really nice. If you are going to get the Brainwavz, I would do it in the following steps.

1. Trim the earpad sleeves, so there is about 1 cm of it remaining.
2. Insert the mounting ring onto the earpad.
3. Use a qtip and apply thin layer of shoe glue around the outer most plastic rim of the mounting ring.
4. Wait 1 hour and install. There is a trick of how to snap the mounting ring onto the ear cup. After 2 slots are in, for the 3rd and last slots, you want to grab the outer and inner part of the ear pad, press down and twist it into the groove.

20190106_140008.jpg
20190106_140455.jpg

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #1,934 of 24,902
Final update on the Brainwavz:

After 2 days of listening, the stock pads simply sound better. There is better sound stage and separation. I measured the inner diameter between the stock and Brainwavz, they are almost identical. So the differences are the depth (Brainwavz is deeper and the stock is tapered) and material. Maybe it's that wedge designd which makes the stock pads sound better? If you are on the fence probably just stick with stock.

It's a shame. I really like the look of the sheep leather on the Susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,935 of 24,902
Final update on the Brainwavz:

After 2 days of listening, the stock pads simply sound better. There is better sound stage and separation. I measured the inner diameter between the stock and Brainwavz, they are almost identical. So the differences are the depth (Brainwavz is deeper and the stock is tapered) and material. Maybe it's that wedge designd which makes the stock pads sound better? If you are on the fence probably just stick with stock.

It's a shame. I really like the look of the sheep leather on the Susvara.

Thats a shame, they really do look great on the Susvara.

I've been listening to the Susvara this morning after a couple weeks with the Diana Phi only. They are still such a superb sounding headphone. So glad they are a part of my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back