HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,456 of 25,538
I just installed the Paul Pang v2 USB Pcie card, and using ifi iPower to power it. I can hear the improvement right away. It's not monumental but very audible. PC/USB noise is very real.

I'm pretty curious about it. First thing... When I made my custom built desktop computer / media server I was really picky with the PSU. I selected a 750w Seasonic Prime Titanium Certifiated PSU. I don't know what impact it has to audio and noice, but I know it's about the best PSU you can get when it comes to custom built computers with ATX factor in a home enviroment. It has high quality capitotors from japan etc. etc. Less noice too!? However I'm feeding my DAC from a toslink output on the motherboard. I have this one: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12683/asrock-z370-gaming-itx-ac-review

The cable is a good quality approx. 140 USD for 1,5m Van den den Hul Optocoupler Mk2 Toslink cable to the DAC.

If I had the Susvara or HD800 with the DAC. DO you think I will get better sound by using the Paul Pang than the Toslink?

There is also a v3. You think there is some real difference between v2 and v3?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,457 of 25,538
I'm pretty curious about it. First thing... When I made my custom built desktop computer / media server I was really picky with the PSU. I selected a 750w Seasonic Prime Titanium Certifiated PSU. I don't know what impact it has to audio and noice, but I know it's about the best PSU you can get when it comes to custom built computers with ATX factor in a home enviroment. It has high quality capitotors from japan etc. etc. Less noice too!? However I'm feeding my DAC from a toslink output on the motherboard. I have this one: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12683/asrock-z370-gaming-itx-ac-review

The cable is a good quality approx. 140 USD for 1,5m Van den den Hul Optocoupler Mk2 Toslink cable to the DAC.

If I had the Susvara or HD800 with the DAC. DO you think I will get better sound by using the Paul Pang than the Toslink?

There is also a v3. You think there is some real difference between v2 and v3?

The most well regarded USB cards are JCAT Femto http://jplay.eu/ml_post_slider/jcat-usb-card-femto/ and SOTM
tX-USBexp https://sotm-usa.com/products/sotm-tx-usbexp-audiophile-pcie-to-usb-audio-card?variant=31708862732. However, I couldn't make myself pay that much for a USB card. I bought the PPA v2 used. He's up to V4 now I think. To be honest, you are probably better off just getting a uPD720201 or uPD720202 from NEC / Renesas based generic USB card like this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158394. The benefit of the custom audiophile USB cards is that you can actually use your own power supply. Many on computeraudiophile.com use LPS with their USB cards. I'm pretty happy right now, but by end of the year, I need to decide to further upgrade PC or go with a dedicated media server.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,458 of 25,538
I mostly use my iPhone most of the time nowadays as a source for DACs and amps to HPs. I’m not sure what the file format is (256kbps AAC?), but it works great. I have the McIntosh MCT80 through a McIntosh MHA150 as well for the more obscure stuff in my collection on HPs.

I have a large collection of mobile fidelity and DCC CD, SACDs,and vinyl that I listen to on my loudspeaker setups when not using Apple TV.

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,461 of 25,538
for whose who own this, at the box, what country makes it? and how's the R&D in china vs. the ones in say UK or Germany?

Susvara is made in China, the same as all the Hifimans. In terms of R&D, I have no clue. In terms of fit, finish, and materials, the Susvara could be better. However, it makes up for what it lacks in those areas in terms of sound quality. That is just me though, for others, it may not.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,462 of 25,538
Susvara is made in China, the same as all the Hifimans. In terms of R&D, I have no clue. In terms of fit, finish, and materials, the Susvara could be better. However, it makes up for what it lacks in those areas in terms of sound quality. That is just me though, for others, it may not.
I agree with you about that. As per my review last year, the cost does not justify its aesthetics however sonically, I do prefer it over my SR-009/Electra combo even (but I still have faith in the electrostats therefore one fine day hope to have the SR-009S & DIY T2 combo). One other little gripe I do have is that I have heard differences between Susvaras. Don't get me wrong, even a lesser sounding Susvara sounds great but a little disappointing another unit could sound better.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,463 of 25,538
I agree with you about that. As per my review last year, the cost does not justify its aesthetics however sonically, I do prefer it over my SR-009/Electra combo even (but I still have faith in the electrostats therefore one fine day hope to have the SR-009S & DIY T2 combo). One other little gripe I do have is that I have heard differences between Susvaras. Don't get me wrong, even a lesser sounding Susvara sounds great but a little disappointing another unit could sound better.

I remember your unit having different (I thought, but wasn't sure) "SUSVARA" writing at the gimbal. I wonder if it is a prototype unit, or pre production that Hifiman used as a sample? Just an idea as to why there might be variance in the units you have heard, no clue if that is the case or not.

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,464 of 25,538
I remember your unit having different (I thought, but wasn't sure) "SUSVARA" writing at the gimbal. I wonder if it is a prototype unit, or pre production that Hifiman used as a sample? Just an idea as to why there might be variance in the units you have heard, no clue if that is the case or not.
So I compared my unit with Masuda-san’s whilst trying out his new fancy amp. I initially had no intention to compare the Susvara units as I assumed both would just sound the same.

He asked me to try it out as he had just come back from a trip from SE Asia & he mentioned to me a customer of his had commented that his Susvara sounded different Masuda-san’s. As such it prompted me to compare.

Naturally from my perspective it’s 1st hand comparison of my unit’s to his, and his comment about his customer is 2nd hand info to me.

For Masuda-san’s perspective, it’s comparing 2 other Susvara units to his, both comparisons being 1st hand experience.

I don’t know who the other customer is & whether that other Susvara owner has a prototype or not. Also as mine has a serial # on a stamped card, it doesn’t look “prototype-ish” to me. In fact when I got my Susvara, Hifiman was already selling the Susvara.

Again even though there are differences to what I’ve heard, I’m still very highly impressed with my unit and is still the current top headphone in my possession.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,465 of 25,538
so I read the review above, but I don't have much faith in made in china "quality" product. I haven't seen any made in china product that last in my house. My current headphone is UltraSone Signature Pro. China R&D is a contradiction in terms. The only reason I am interested in this head phone is because it can rotate 90 deg., so it's good as a portable head phone. But who's to say this headphone justify the cost of $6K? And how long does the headphone last? how many yr. warranty is this?

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,466 of 25,538
so I read the review above, but I don't have much faith in made in china "quality" product. I haven't seen any made in china product that last in my house. My current headphone is UltraSone Signature Pro. China R&D is a contradiction in terms. The only reason I am interested in this head phone is because it can rotate 90 deg., so it's good as a portable head phone. But who's to say this headphone justify the cost of $6K? And how long does the headphone last? how many yr. warranty is this?
hello, you're absolutely right, you ask the right questions, people do not know the duration of a headset of 4, 5 or 6000 €, more helmets are expensive and more they are fragile, I have a headphone audeze lcd4 who is two years old and has been changed by audeze, a broken menbrane,
audeze was nice, and changed the headset,
but that it would be spent with hifiman, and a lot of entry-level headphones at hifiman finishes are to be reviewed, .........

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,467 of 25,538
For what it's worth, Hifiman's customer service was top notch here in the US. I recently had an issue with my HEKv2. I contacted support, received a RMA number, shipped them to a US Hifiman address, and they replaced them with a new pair all in two weeks. My Susvara are absolutely beautiful and I do not see the "font" on the HP's packaging having any relation to their R&D efforts.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,468 of 25,538
The price argument is old. There's 70-80 pages worth of it here already. No need to add anymore. If the Susvara is not for you, then it's simply just not for you. Move along.

[OT to the Susvara]
Per my review of the Signature DJ's :-

[Added: 19th Nov '12] In Comparison To Its Signature Pro Older Brother

Earlier I mentioned of the 1st demo Signature Pro didn't sound correct especially compared to the Signature Pros in the shops. I went back to the distributor and told them of my findings and they pulled out 2 other Signature Pros for me. One with an older serial number (in the early 100's, and another in the high 400's - whereas the first demo I had was in the low 500's. All 3 sounded different and they didn't appear to be batch or serial grouping related. The 500's sounded closer to the low 100s whilst the best of the 3 was the high 400's. As such I swapped the initial 500's demo for the low 400's.
[/OT]

As from my review 6 yrs ago, I don't think it matters where a product is made in, at least in my past experience the Signature Pros suffered from differences across units too. Granted it's a $666 headphone vs a $6000 but I believe your argument stresses more about where it's made, rather than cost differences.

Mind you, aside from my post, I'm not certain if anyone else has commented about hearing differences in multiple Susvara units.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,469 of 25,538
close. Ultrasone Signature Pro, when I bought it 2 yr. ago, it's $1200, w/ street price at $1600. Today, at ebay, the price range from $1000 to $1433

Workmanship from a country dictates quality. You won't buy a Ferrari made in china, would you?

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,470 of 25,538
close. Ultrasone Signature Pro, when I bought it 2 yr. ago, it's $1200, w/ street price at $1600. Today, at ebay, the price range from $1000 to $1433

Workmanship from a country dictates quality. You won't buy a Ferrari made in china, would you?

I would buy it if it is the best car in terms of my important personal preferences :) And that's why I bought Susvara - for its sound quality :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back