HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #31 of 25,507
Don't feel bad, your post is as impactful frankly, and I agree after testing on less powerful, and quality inputs, susvara is not a monster to enjoy buy can be on many types of systems. Better ones are just better...

Thanks, I am using a simple JDS Labs OL DAC, feeding the Marantz PM-5005 into the HE Adapter box, into the Susvara, and I can enjoy that system for long periods of time. I am not fortunate enough to be in a high earning job (only 23 to be honest), but at least I am working in a job I like. I would never be able to afford either the Susvara or the monoblocks listed above, but can appreciate these headphones for what they are, a true work of art.

Many people drive the HE-6 off old vintage amps, the Susvara sounds better out of the Marantz PM-5005 than my other amp the PM-44 MKII SE, the PM-44 is too smooth, wheras the PM-5005 is flatter but still slightly smooth which allows for long, fatigue free listening, and plenty of power for the Susvara.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #32 of 25,507
I believe from my testing, and won't know until the tour commences, a highly resolving dac with a get out of the way amp is just what susvara needs. I would be surprised that these warmish sounding cans need more warmth regardless of the 3-5 kHz peaks....

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 25,507
For such a premium product and packaging, the lettering on the metal name plate was a completely amateur job.

Crooked and unaligned letters and words, poor kerning spacing between letters. I don't even know how you could do such a poor layout job if you're using standard software. Seriously, they should redo it, and it would take just 10 minutes for someone with graphics experience to do it right.

If they couldn't get the lettering correct, I can only imagine how poor the build quality is...

Although being from China

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #34 of 25,507
Still, it is important. For $6'000 everything's important. Every detail there is. I've had several HiFiMAN models in the past and almost every sounded nice or very nice. Still, none was perfect as far as build quality goes. HE-1000 V1, which I own, don't look like $2'999 product. Times more affordable HD800 is much better in this regard. I'm talking about materials used, their assembly and overall craftsmanship.

I respect what HiFiMAN does, I really do. I voted with my wallet and bought HE-1000 after all, which proves the point. Still, after knowing a number of this manufacturer's DAPs and headphones, I can only say that it's not 'there' yet when it comes to build quality. It's not Astell&Kern of headphones but rather iBasso or FiiO. That's my subjective take on the HiFiMAN case and I believe that a bit of constructive criticism won't hurt but influence them to make products of greater build quality than thus far.

I agree with this. I had the HiFiMan Edition X recently and it looked and sounded awesome but in no way did it feel like a $1,300 headphone. The Beyerdynamic 1990 I have is half the price and it's just beautifully constructed and solid in comparison. I've said it before - HiFiMan headphones are like having a Ferrari engine in the body of a low priced compact car.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #35 of 25,507
I agree with this. I had the HiFiMan Edition X recently and it looked and sounded awesome but in no way did it feel like a $1,300 headphone. The Beyerdynamic 1990 I have is half the price and it's just beautifully constructed and solid in comparison. I've said it before - HiFiMan headphones are like having a Ferrari engine in the body of a low priced compact car.

So...you are saying that the SusVara is a $12000 Headphones in a body for a $6000 Headphones construction ? Hmmmm....ok, going back to my Stax 009 and Grounded Grid.

Wait...did I say that I would also pickup Focal Utopia before this ? Oh, and I did too....I will keep trailing the thread to see how far the SusVara will stack up to the above sin comparisons, given that I wouldn't have enough pocket to swallow one to do so though

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #36 of 25,507
If they couldn't get the lettering correct, I can only imagine how poor the build quality is...

Although being from China, I would assume this is par for the course

Please avoid comments like that, it's not constructive. Plenty of amazingly well built brands come out of China, such as Audio GD.

Direct your comments more directly towards Hifiman. They need to improve their build quality, let's hope UNLIKE the HE X, they started with Metal Gimbals and a "design focused with durability" anything $1000 plus should be built to last and as of lately Hifiman has seen fit to launch poorly made products only to follow up with a better built V2, I hope the Susvara breaks that trend.

Also I've not heard, but these measure amazingly well! The HE 4 HE 560 and Susvara all follow a pretty similar trend in FR, so these should be a joy to listen to. I'm excited to hear how they compare to the HE 6 as well ^^ I've always wanted to upgrade from my HE 4 to the HE 6 but I don't have the time for mods nor an Amp to run them. So hopefully a Second hand Susvara might be the way I go

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #37 of 25,507
Still, it is important. For $6'000 everything's important. Every detail there is. I've had several HiFiMAN models in the past and almost every sounded nice or very nice. Still, none was perfect as far as build quality goes. HE-1000 V1, which I own, don't look like $2'999 product. Times more affordable HD800 is much better in this regard. I'm talking about materials used, their assembly and overall craftsmanship.

I respect what HiFiMAN does, I really do. I voted with my wallet and bought HE-1000 after all, which proves the point. Still, after knowing a number of this manufacturer's DAPs and headphones, I can only say that it's not 'there' yet when it comes to build quality. It's not Astell&Kern of headphones but rather iBasso or FiiO. That's my subjective take on the HiFiMAN case and I believe that a bit of constructive criticism won't hurt but influence them to make products of greater build quality than thus far.

This is exactly my feeling about HiFiMAN. I love my HE-1000, but they'll probably be the last pair of HiFiMAN headphones I buy, I owned the HE-560 before them and honestly the 560 feels like a more premium build than the 1000. The only thing on the 1000 that's half decent is the 'Window Shade' grille, the entire headband assembly is a loose, janky, mess.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #39 of 25,507

Summary:
If you have the requisite funds to purchase this headphone AND have an amplifier power enough to drive them with ease they will not disappoint. I am not going to get into a price/value debate as that has been hotly discussed ad nauseam on this site and others. If you are demoing the Susvara's make sure they have had at least 150 hours on them (as is recommended in the informative manual) and that the dealer gives you more than adequate time to evaluate them for yourself preferably in your own system.

For me the Susvara's are the best sounding headphone I have heard and I find I thoroughly enjoy them everyday. To me that tells the story.

To Edwood - I hope that you do not take any offence at my musings. With at least 2 or 3 other threads I thought it best to post my impressions here.

.]

You have an impressive system isquirrel! Thanks for your impressions on the Susvara, excuse the offtopic but how are you liking the MSB Select II? Do the two power supplies increase its sound quality to justify their purchase?

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #40 of 25,507
Whitigir - you took my analogy too literally. My point - great driver tech and sound in a cheap frame. But I guess inner beauty is more important. :)
:D, well...when it gets to be ridiculously pricey, I would expect everything to be meticulously done, even the engraved/printed letters or logo and as much as everything else. Is it that much unreasonable ? I know Stax has an awesome build though

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #41 of 25,507
Man head fi is an ego builder or destroyer, lets get back to the music, sound quality, and honest prference descriptions.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #42 of 25,507
:D, well...when it gets to be ridiculously pricey, I would expect everything to be meticulously done, even the engraved/printed letters or logo and as much as everything else. Is it that much unreasonable ? I know Stax has an awesome build though

Certainly not unreasonable. I would expect the same thing.

Yes, I'd imagine the 009 build to be superb. That's my dream ear-speaker - saving up for that (perhaps next year sometime). Just don't expect the same from HiFiMan (just a general impression, others might think otherwise).

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #44 of 25,507
6000 dollars Naahhh..... and on top of that people who buy this will buy 1200$ cables to fully realize the "potential" of their pride and joy. The 4000$ Kimber Axios AG would make the Susvara truly "HEAVENLY"

What's next $8000-$10000 headphones, I don't like this trend. I can't see myself spending more than 2000$-2500$ on a headphone.

That's why I moved from Headphones to Speakers, and no regret. Can't compare speakers vs headphones, speakers are in way different league, well above.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #45 of 25,507
That's why I moved from Headphones to Speakers, and no regret. Can't compare speakers vs headphones, speakers are in way different league, well above.
If you have a treated room yourself and not bothering anyone in the house, speakers are way better, and a 10k system is hell of a system already :D but it could always go much further than that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back