HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 18, 2017 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25,484

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
I haven't seen a dedicated thread to this headphone yet, so I thought why not create one,

So who has heard them?

Post impressions and pictures below :D

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hifiman/susvara.html

SUSVARA20170510.jpg

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 25,484
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 25,484
The HiFiMan HE-6 finally has a true Successor.

Meet the Susvara. I was able to hear them at the LA Audio Show last month, but now I have received them personally from HiFiMan. Thanks so much to Dr. Fang Bian and the HiFiMan team. I have been a long time fan of HiFiMan products, ever since the original HE5. I still have my original working HE6. With all the new innovations like the outstanding and unique HE1000, there was always a little spark in the back of my mind that felt the true spirit and sonic signature of the HE6 was still not fully succeeded. Don't get me wrong, I love my HE1000's, but the Susvara is something completely different.

Initial impressions are that the detail and imaging are better than the HE1000. The HE1000's soundstage is larger and wider than the Susvara, but the Susvara's soundstage is a little deeper. The Susvara has significantly tighter and faster bass, especially the lowest frequencies. The HE1000's mid bass sounds almost muddy by comparison. The high frequencies with the Susvara can be a little peaky at times if your source or music is harsh. But I always found the HE1000 to be a little bit laid back compared to the HE6 monster. For bass heads, the HE1000 is probably still going to be the winner, but the Susvara goes lower and flatter bass. It's quite spine chilling to hear/feel it.

I've had a short time with the Susvara, I'll have a more in depth proper review up in the future. So for now, enjoy the unboxing pictures.

They really went all out on the packaging for Susvara.

Brushed Metal Name Plate
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_01-1280.jpg

Leatherette (not sure if it's real leather or not) encased box
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_02-1280.jpg

Those that have owned the Sony MDR-R10 will remember the little hard cover book it came with, the Susvara has a nice owner's story book.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_03-1280.jpg

Not your run of the mill owner's manual booklet.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_04-1280.jpg

The Susvara is free at last!
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_05-1280.jpg

Beautiful drivers showing through the grill, they're incredibly thin, it's almost like they're not there, you can really feel air moving through them if you blow a fan towards your head. Outside sounds pass right through, these cans are as open and airy as it gets.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_06-1280.jpg

Familiar head band assembly, very comfortable and adjustable, even for my huge noggin.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_09-1280.jpg

And yes, they lay completely flat as well.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_10-1280.jpg

Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_11-1280.jpg

Susvara comes with two removable cables, one 4 Pin XLR Balanced, and one 1/4" single ended.
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_12-1280.jpg

HiFiMan HE Line Up. From Left to Right, HE1000, Susvara, and HE6
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_13-1280.jpg

Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_14-1280.jpg

Happy Hamster!
Edwood_HiFiMan_Susvara_15-1280.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 25,484
Alright have three susvara threads subscribed now, look forward to impressions thread.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 25,484
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 25,484
Did you buy these headphones yourself by paying the full MSRP?

The HiFiMan HE-6 finally has a true Successor.

Meet the Susvara. I was able to hear them at the LA Audio Show last month, but now I have received them personally from HiFiMan. Thanks so much to Dr. Fang Bian and the HiFiMan team. I have been a long time fan of HiFiMan products, ever since the original HE5. I still have my original working HE6. With all the new innovations like the outstanding and unique HE1000, there was always a little spark in the back of my mind that felt the true spirit and sonic signature of the HE6 was still not fully succeeded. Don't get me wrong, I love my HE1000's, but the Susvara is something completely different.

Initial impressions are that the detail and imaging are better than the HE1000. The HE1000's soundstage is larger and wider than the Susvara, but the Susvara's soundstage is a little deeper. The Susvara has significantly tighter and faster bass, especially the lowest frequencies. The HE1000's mid bass sounds almost muddy by comparison. The high frequencies with the Susvara can be a little peaky at times if your source or music is harsh. But I always found the HE1000 to be a little bit laid back compared to the HE6 monster. For bass heads, the HE1000 is probably still going to be the winner, but the Susvara goes lower and flatter bass. It's quite spine chilling to hear/feel it.

I've had a short time with the Susvara, I'll have a more in depth proper review up in the future. So for now, enjoy the unboxing pictures.

They really went all out on the packaging for Susvara.

Brushed Metal Name Plate

Leatherette (not sure if it's real leather or not) encased box

Those that have owned the Sony MDR-R10 will remember the little hard cover book it came with, the Susvara has a nice owner's story book.

Not your run of the mill owner's manual booklet.

The Susvara is free at last!

Beautiful drivers showing through the grill, they're incredibly thin, it's almost like they're not there, you can really feel air moving through them if you blow a fan towards your head. Outside sounds pass right through, these cans are as open and airy as it gets.

Familiar head band assembly, very comfortable and adjustable, even for my huge noggin.

And yes, they lay completely flat as well.

Susvara comes with two removable cables, one 4 Pin XLR Balanced, and one 1/4" single ended.

HiFiMan HE Line Up. From Left to Right, HE1000, Susvara, and HE6

Happy Hamster!

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 25,484
The ear pads and cables look the same as those for the Edition X and HE1000. Is that the case? If so, very disappointing given the huge price mark up from the HE1000.

The earpads are a different shape due to the shorter and rounder housing

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 25,484
6000 dollars Naahhh..... and on top of that people who buy this will buy 1200$ cables to fully realize the "potential" of their pride and joy. The 4000$ Kimber Axios AG would make the Susvara truly "HEAVENLY"

What's next $8000-$10000 headphones, I don't like this trend. I can't see myself spending more than 2000$-2500$ on a headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back