HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 19, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #11,251 of 25,427
Just for interest: Ifi Pro series isn't beefy enough for Sus?
I really liked their hardware Xbass feature which is working without harming the rest of the frequency spectrum and think Sus can profit from that.
Alternative could be putting an Ifi DAC in front

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #11,252 of 25,427
I really liked their hardware Xbass feature which is working without harming the rest of the frequency spectrum and think Sus can profit from that.
U can use them as a preamp Into a beefier amp. Xbass (pro iCan and iTube2) in a preamp does sound good with susvara.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #11,253 of 25,427
U can use them as a preamp Into a beefier amp. Xbass (pro iCan and iTube2) in a preamp does sound good with susvara.
I can vouch for this (the ican pro is an integral part of my rig), but make sure it’s a MUCH beefier amp.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #11,254 of 25,427
Ifi should bring out a beefier successor of the Pro IDSD
I love everything in one package.
The reasons for me are: smaller footprint but also the perfect synergy of the components which you have to usually make great efforts for to come close with a mixed stack.
A pity that Shanling hasn't yet introduced their new M30 Poweramp module

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #11,255 of 25,427
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #11,256 of 25,427
I’ve never tried this Kann Cube, but I’ve heard people saying it works with the Susvara. I have no idea though:

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...&scg=CG210210&spos=3&tcg&tpos=0&gcode=SC35560
Quoting and translating a quick review from a German hifi forum
- the output power is specified with 12Vrms in balanced operation on the highest amplifier power. That is 4.5 watts into 32 ohms. This power is at no time even remotely available. My tests have shown that at the highest amplifier setting, the Kann Cube delivers less than 600mW into 32 ohms in balanced mode. On paper, an RME ADI-2 DAC is inferior to the Kann Cube in terms of output power. The ADI-2 DAC has "only" 1 watt into 32 ohms. But the ADI-2 DAC is still much more powerful than the Kann Cube.
- I used my Hifiman HE1000 V1 with the Kann Cube balanced (Mid-Gain, Volume ~ 130-140). In my life I have never heard so much distortion in music playback. The amplifier of the Kann Cube does not manage at all to drive the HE1000 without distortion.

Thx though for some suggestions.
I think I might really wait for Shanlings new power amp module and drive Susvara out of the stock M30 in the meantime

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #11,257 of 25,427
Ifi should bring out a beefier successor of the Pro IDSD
I love everything in one package.
The reasons for me are: smaller footprint but also the perfect synergy of the components which you have to usually make great efforts for to come close with a mixed stack.
A pity that Shanling hasn't yet introduced their new M30 Poweramp module
You could probably look into the Burson Timekeeper 3i as an all in one for the Susvara. Soundnews had a good review and tested it with the Susvara as well

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #11,258 of 25,427
You could probably look into the Burson Timekeeper 3i as an all in one for the Susvara. Soundnews had a good review and tested it with the Susvara as well
That is indeed an outstanding price value suggestion from what I am reading...
Thx
PS: am wondering how they connect Susvaras?
To the front 4,4mm ports or the rear speaker ports?

Edit: in this review Susvaras are mentioned to need a tad more juice than this...
Guess he had been using the front headphone ports and not the speaker ports...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #11,259 of 25,427
The iCan Pro is beefy enough.
14W into 16 Ohm is still 3.6 into Susvara.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #11,260 of 25,427
That is indeed an outstanding price value suggestion from what I am reading...
Thx
PS: am wondering how they connect Susvaras?
To the front 4,4mm ports or the rear speaker ports?

Edit: in this review Susvaras are mentioned to need a tad more juice than this...
Guess he had been using the front headphone ports and not the speaker ports...

You can check out the written review too. I believe he’s happy with the power out of the speaker taps to the susvara

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/power-amps/burson-timekeeper-3i-review-one-for-all-and-all-for-one/

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #11,261 of 25,427
You can check out the written review too. I believe he’s happy with the power out of the speaker taps to the susvara

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/power-amps/burson-timekeeper-3i-review-one-for-all-and-all-for-one/
Yep, written review is excellent but didn't mention which ports were used.
My video quote from above is from the same reviewer?
If you listen starting at around track position 6:48 Susvaras are mentioned to not come to their full potential out of the headphone amplifier...

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #11,262 of 25,427
Yep, written review is excellent but didn't mention which ports were used.
My video quote from above is from the same reviewer?
If you listen starting at around track position 6:48 Susvaras are mentioned to not come to their full potential out of the headphone amplifier...
“After trying plenty of integrated and power amplifiers at my place with Susvara, only a few units improved their dynamics to unrecognizable. From them all, Benchmark AHB2 put in bridged mode (2 x AHB2), offered the highest engagement factor, the most impactful presentation and sincerely…the absolute best dynamics I’ve ever heard in my life out of headphones. It is my honor to mention that Timekeeper 3i is being added into this very short loudspeaker amplifier list, that worked outstanding with the notorious Susvara.”

You can be sure the Susvara was driven out of the speaker taps as he mentions he drives the Sus from the Timekeeper as a speaker amp.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #11,263 of 25,427
Thx for digging into the video!

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #11,264 of 25,427
Sep 19, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #11,265 of 25,427
It’s a tad soft in the bass not quite matching spec , xbass fixed it a little bit it’s just not quite there , as a preamp but it’s great since you still have access to the features and tube modes , with tube swap it’s really nice touch of tube sound with Susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back