HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #11,101 of 13,999

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus
Adding to the never ending discussion of amps for Susvara.. So, I'm looking to get an amp to pair with my RME ADI 2 DAC.

Currently considering Nimbus, Bakoon 13r, or waiting for Enleum 23r. It seems to me that both nimbus and bakoon seem to adored by most on this thread. Which of these would be better for me to pair with the RME DAC and Susvara?

Are there any other amps for consideration around this 4-5k price range? Or any cheaper alternatives that give similar performance?
The Niimbus is over $6k.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #11,104 of 13,999

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Thats more or less how I felt. I thought I'd probably end up deciding between the nimbus and the bakoon. Unfortunately I don't have the option to loan or audition either at the moment.

Thats why I'm trying to guage the opinions of the members here to figure out which would be better for my needs. Do you think one is better than the other? Also do you have any thoughts on bakoon's predecessor Enleum 23r?

Gotcha, makes sense. I know not being able to makes it harder.

I can't speak to what's better. Haven't heard them. I would say don't stress too much, as ultimately there are plenty amps that sound great with the Susvara. This thread is proof of that and you've already identified great options. Pull the trigger on one of the best available to you and I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #11,105 of 13,999

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
Thats more or less how I felt. I thought I'd probably end up deciding between the nimbus and the bakoon. Unfortunately I don't have the option to loan or audition either at the moment.

Thats why I'm trying to guage the opinions of the members here to figure out which would be better for my needs. Do you think one is better than the other? Also do you have any thoughts on bakoon's predecessor Enleum 23r?
SoundNews has a new review on the Burson Timekeeper 3i. See section VII "Passing the Susvara Test." He gives a strong recommendation for driving the Susvara with the Timekeeper's speaker taps. In answering one of the questions in the comments, he discusses why he uses two AHB2 in Bridge Mode to drive his Susvara but why using the Timekeeper 3i for music enjoyment might be a better solution. I think the Timekeeper 3i is around $2500, putting out 100W Class A/B to the speaker connections. The headphone out is 2W Class A which wouldn't work for our Susvara's but should be good for other headphones in your selection. I'm looking to upgrade my Flux FA10. The VOLOT and the Timekeeper 3i are on my shortlist.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #11,106 of 13,999

aaf evo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone! Coming from the IEM side of the hobby. Joining the Sus gang, the only headphone I’ve tried was a Focal Clear and I wasn’t too much of a fan. All the praise about the Susvara made me want to go straight ”to the top” but I am doing it a little weird. Just buying the headphone for now and seeing how I find the overall feel/fit/feeling of it on my head first, then I plan to jump head first into the amp rabbit hole if I can get used to wearing headphones after being an IEM guy basically my whole life.

Looking forward to it!

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #11,108 of 13,999

normie610

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone! Coming from the IEM side of the hobby. Joining the Sus gang, the only headphone I’ve tried was a Focal Clear and I wasn’t too much of a fan. All the praise about the Susvara made me want to go straight ”to the top” but I am doing it a little weird. Just buying the headphone for now and seeing how I find the overall feel/fit/feeling of it on my head first, then I plan to jump head first into the amp rabbit hole if I can get used to wearing headphones after being an IEM guy basically my whole life.

Looking forward to it!
Wow, never thought seeing you here! 😁 welcome to Susvara club, you won’t be disappointed

edit: although for EDM, the TC would probably be more suitable for you

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #11,109 of 13,999

aaf evo

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, never thought seeing you here! 😁 welcome to Susvara club, you won’t be disappointed

edit: although for EDM, the TC would probably be more suitable for you

I’ll probably make my rounds 😉

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #11,110 of 13,999

Sajid Amit

1000+ Head-Fier
For the Susvara specifically, if you're going to spend $4-5k, I would strongly consider a true speaker amp. And preferably SS, as I personally think the Susvara probably benefits best from one. I would see if I could get a dealer to either loan you or let you audition the nimbus or bakoon + speaker amps and decide from there if possible. I know that's not always easy to do though.
+1 to true speaker amp + SS

Amazing isn’t it how we never tire of sharing advice on our experiences with amps for the Sus, lol.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #11,112 of 13,999

paradoxper

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm leaning toward the Bakoon because it has the versatility to power speakers which is nice but I'm curious if someone can elaborate on their own experience with either amp or possibly both.
As your budget is slated at $4-5k, why aren't you considering a speaker amplifier? Is size constraint a factor for you?

I never had the opportunity to pair the Niimbus with the Susvara but it was quite good with the TC although unfortunately way, way overpriced for relative sound quality.

I'd urge you the DIY route for maximized ROI or target speaker amps.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #11,113 of 13,999

FooFighter

Headphoneus Supremus

Looking forward to it!
Congrats!
Once you have it and keep it and decided for a power amp, I'd be interested how DX300 Max will perform as DAC with the Sus...

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #11,114 of 13,999

dk604

New Head-Fier
As your budget is slated at $4-5k, why aren't you considering a speaker amplifier? Is size constraint a factor for you?

I never had the opportunity to pair the Niimbus with the Susvara but it was quite good with the TC although unfortunately way, way overpriced for relative sound quality.

I'd urge you the DIY route for maximized ROI or target speaker amps.
I am considering speaker amps such as the Bakoon amp 13r or its predecessor Enleum 23r but yes it would be nice for me to have an amp which can fit on my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread