HiFiMan Susvara
May 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #8,716 of 25,541
I have been a long time eyeing up the Susvara and reading the forum about to pull the trigger to go with my WA33 EE JPS.......but @Bonesy Jonesy what have you done to me.

I see the HIFIMAN EF-1000 & SUSVARA COMBO seems to be good value when purchased together now you got me thinking !
(Sorry about the damage on delivery).

What do I do ?
Yes Clive101, that is what I thought with buying both the EF1000 and Susvara together.

My damaged (power supply) EF1000 is going to be totally replaced by Hifiman who are currently building another unit as we speak.

My damaged EF1000 is currently with the UK Hifiman Distributor after my local UK (Birmingham) Hifiman Dealer tried it and found it was badly humming.

My local Hifiman Dealer has kindly loaned me a Pathos inPol Ear Headphone Amp until my new EF1000 is built and delivered to me.

So this evening have been listening to my music with my Susvara's via the Pathos Inpol Ear connected to my M Scaler & DAVE via balanced XLR out and it sounds very nice indeed. Nice even neutral sound across the frequency spectrum, with nice clarity, separation nice deep bass and a great soundstage.
This is also with stock tubes and after reading the Inpol EAR thread rolling the tubes with some nice NOS tubes improves the sound up another notch.

The Inpol Ear is a hybrid design like the EF1000 and puts out about 5 Watts to the Susvara via balanced output which is half of the EF1000.

I have the volume on the Inpol Ear around 150 to 155 with it's maximum being 180. The sound isn't grossly loud but comfortably loud to hear everything the music offers and what the Susvara can offer.

The EF1000 will put out over 10 Watts to the Susvara so can imagine it will sound like the Inpol Ear on steroids !

XBztcfbxTb6%0pZHlPDQ9w.jpguUlK4DpjQca2tfThw1zsYA.jpg

May 13, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #8,717 of 25,541
So do you who
Yes Clive101, that is what I thought with buying both the EF1000 and Susvara together.

My damaged (power supply) EF1000 is going to be totally replaced by Hifiman who are currently building another unit as we speak.

My damaged EF1000 is currently with the UK Hifiman Distributor after my local UK (Birmingham) Hifiman Dealer tried it and found it was badly humming.

My local Hifiman Dealer has kindly loaned me a Pathos inPol Ear Headphone Amp until my new EF1000 is built and delivered to me.

So this evening have been listening to my music with my Susvara's via the Pathos Inpol Ear connected to my M Scaler & DAVE via balanced XLR out and it sounds very nice indeed. Nice even neutral sound across the frequency spectrum, with nice clarity, separation nice deep bass and a great soundstage.
This is also with stock tubes and after reading the Inpol EAR thread rolling the tubes with some nice NOS tubes improves the sound up another notch.

The Inpol Ear is a hybrid design like the EF1000 and puts out about 5 Watts to the Susvara via balanced output which is half of the EF1000.

I have the volume on the Inpol Ear around 150 to 155 with it's maximum being 180. The sound isn't grossly loud but comfortably loud to hear everything the music offers and what the Susvara can offer.

The EF1000 will put out over 10 Watts to the Susvara so can imagine it will sound like the Inpol Ear on steroids !

XBztcfbxTb6%0pZHlPDQ9w.jpguUlK4DpjQca2tfThw1zsYA.jpg
So would you recommend the Impol Ear without any reservations, given all Susvara amp pairings you have heard so far?

May 13, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #8,718 of 25,541
So do you who

So would you recommend the Impol Ear without any reservations, given all Susvara amp pairings you have heard so far?
If I just had or only needed a headphone amplifier then yes I would definitely put the Inpol Ear on my serious consideration short list to power the Susvara.

May 13, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #8,719 of 25,541
If I just had or only needed a headphone amplifier then yes I would definitely put the Inpol Ear on my serious consideration short list to power the Susvara.
That means a lot as a recommendation coming from you, and I think the Impol Ear just got another fan.

May 14, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #8,720 of 25,541
May 14, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #8,721 of 25,541
My Auris Nirvana drives the Susvara without breaking a sweat. Very loud volume levels are obtained at about 10:30 on the volume control. But as most of us know, it's not about volume level, it's about dynamics, full body sound, with great bass punch and a expansive soundstage. I get all of that with the Nirvana driving the Susvara. The power meters on the Nirvana are only at 20% during dynamic passages in very dynamic recordings such as "The Planets (Jupiter)" by Zubin Mehta and the LA Orchestra. Other headphones in my collection don't even budge the Nirvana's power meters (except my modded K340 which moves the meters). I think the Susvara/Nirvana has deeper and better quality bass than my Utopia and overall more enjoyable than any headphone that I've listened to including the SR-009 and the TC.
And, found this previous post on this thread. Hi @SteveM324, have you ever compared the Sus on the Nirvana to the Sus on speaker amps?

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #8,722 of 25,541
May 14, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #8,724 of 25,541
Has anyone tried the Auris Nirvana with the Susvara?

On min 1:46, the founder says that the Nirvana was designed for the Susvara:

Also, I had read this glowing review of the Nirvana-Susvara combo on Stereophile, earlier: https://www.stereophile.com/content...e-amplifier-focal-stellia-casque-de-musique-0

Go for the Niimbus and the game is over!
I sold everything SR009, Utopia no contest vs Susvara. And my SR009 was driven by a KGSShv Carbon. I only have the SR007 SZ2xxx bass port mod which gaves me another sound signature vs the Susvara. But after you hear one of them it's difficult to go back to SR009 or Utopia.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #8,725 of 25,541
I did have the opportunity to try the Susvara off the Nimbus and it sounds great. Although as far as solid state goes, I am quite happy with my Accuphase e380 (have tried a few dozen amps en route), lol.

I was just wondering about the Auris specifically, not having heard it. :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #8,726 of 25,541
I sold everything SR009, Utopia no contest vs Susvara. And my SR009 was driven by a KGSShv Carbon. I only have the SR007 SZ2xxx bass port mod which gaves me another sound signature vs the Susvara. But after you hear one of them it's difficult to go back to SR009 or Utopia.
Go for the Hifiman EF1000 with the Susvara....and the game is over !

May 14, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #8,728 of 25,541
On a different note, I am trying to sell off the Pass Labs XP12. However, the thing is, mine is 220-240V, which means the buyer has to be based in the UK, EU, or Asia.

Any ideas on what websites I could try?

How much are u selling it for? I may have some ppl interested. Shoot me a pm.

May 14, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #8,729 of 25,541
Lol, not really. But you know how it is. You are always open to new gear (info?) 🙂.
Yeah, the thrill of reading up on and trying New gear never stops.

Go for the Hifiman EF1000 with the Susvara....and the game is over !
The game is never over. There is always morw gear to at least read about...
On a different note, I am trying to sell off the Pass Labs XP12. However, the thing is, mine is 220-240V, which means the buyer has to be based in the UK, EU, or Asia.

Any ideas on what websites I could try?
Why do you sell it?
Which Preamp takes its place?
Ever considered a McIntosh C70?

Good to know that your gear has the correct voltage :p
That means everything you sell could be of potential interest to me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back