HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,481 of 11,973

VintageAudio

100+ Head-Fier
Earstudio ES100 and Hifiman Susvara

Just bought a new balanced cable for my Susvara which terminates in a 4-pole 2.5mm jack.

Did this because from that jack, I can adapt it to a standard 3.5mm jack, or balanced XLR or whatever I need depending on my amp.

Anyhow, just for kicks, I plugged it into the balanced port on the EarStudio ES100 MK2...

And it works!

It's not Bakoon Amp-13R quality, but honestly, it pumps enough into them to be enjoyable.

Absolutely amazing. Completely unchains me from the desktop and allows me to take Susvara on-the-go.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,482 of 11,973

BassicScience

500+ Head-Fier
Earstudio ES100 and Hifiman Susvara

Just bought a new balanced cable for my Susvara which terminates in a 4-pole 2.5mm jack.

Did this because from that jack, I can adapt it to a standard 3.5mm jack, or balanced XLR or whatever I need depending on my amp.

Anyhow, just for kicks, I plugged it into the balanced port on the EarStudio ES100 MK2...

And it works!

It's not Bakoon Amp-13R quality, but honestly, it pumps enough into them to be enjoyable.

Absolutely amazing. Completely unchains me from the desktop and allows me to take Susvara on-the-go.
Very cool product (ES100) I hadn't been previously aware of. I find it somewhat incredible that it could drive Susvara satisfactorily, though. Is the sound better than using it with a high sensitivity headphone?

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #6,483 of 11,973

VintageAudio

100+ Head-Fier
Very cool product (ES100) I hadn't been previously aware of. I find it somewhat incredible that it could drive Susvara satisfactorily, though. Is the sound better than using it with a high sensitivity headphone?

I'd say for $100ish bucks for an Earstudio ES100 off of Amazon - its worth a trial (don't like - just return it).

Susvara's are so resolving, that even from an ES100, you'll get an enjoyable experience.

Generally speaking, you won't get a thick, more full bodied presentation like from a Bakoon Amp-13R), but its still very enjoyable. Lots of clarity, detail and air, but a surprising amount of bass out of that little, lightweight, cheap plastic ES100.

I'd love a few more Susvara owners to give a whirl and weigh in. I'll do some more listening too and provide commentary along the way. its a big change to be able to walk around the home with Susvara and a little ES100 clipped on it.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #6,485 of 11,973

Dave01236

Head-Fier
Hi fellow headfiers, I was previously a he1000SE user. I was a huge fan of these headphones but I am now upgrading to the Susvara in the coming weeks. Very hard for me to wait since I am currently stock with the sennheiser 6xx headphones. Great headphones for the price but they definitely don't compare to the SE of course. Unfortunately for me, the right driver of my HE1000SE died, after 2 to 3 years of continuous use. I'd say I put 3 to 6 hours of use on them, per day. I think they had between 2500 to 3500 hours in total, but it's hard to say. But now I am moving on to much bigger things with the Susvara. I will have a brand new pair for much cheaper since they will take my defective he1000se in return. And I know they are definitely defective since I have tried different cables and amps with the headphones, right side stays silent. Anyway, overall I am satisfied with the customer service Hifiman has provided me.

Now I've been wondering for quite some time, what are the main differences between the SE and the Susvara? What justifies the price difference between both pairs of headphones. Do the susvaras have tighter bass, more air, more precise imaging than the SE? Perhaps the susvara has a smaller soundstage since the ear cups of the headphones are different? That's something I read but I'd like to have confirmation on this about the soundstage. I hope someone that had both pairs of headphones could help me with that. That'd be appreciated ! :o2smile:

I will be powering the Susvara with the cayin ha300 amp, with takatsuki 300B tubes. I also have the Yggdrasil DAC. Fortunately for me I will have a 3,5mm Susvara so the Norne audio silvergarde S4 cable that I ordered for the SE will be 100% compatible.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #6,486 of 11,973

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6,487 of 11,973

Dipesh

100+ Head-Fier
So my friend on our discord still finds Susvara not good. She complains its very bight and forward and actually prefers empyrean and stellia. Is this a sign that susvara is underpowered? She is using top a90.
I don't think susvara is brighter than Stellia. When I tried Empyrean , I felt music sounded veiled. Susvara is probably the most balanced headphone I tried. It does require a lot of power. I am running Ampandsound 's Nautalis. Some members suggest speaker amps.()

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #6,488 of 11,973

nwavesailor

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently came to the Susvara from 18+ months of Empy and then a VO. I just sold my Empy's last week and while I enjoyed my time with them they are, as @Dipesh suggested, somewhat veiled in comparison to the Susvara. (Dipesh and I have very similar ampsandsound amps!)

We all hear differently and she is not a fan......... No right or wrong, her ears your ears!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #6,489 of 11,973

Bonesy Jonesy

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't think susvara is brighter than Stellia. When I tried Empyrean , I felt music sounded veiled. Susvara is probably the most balanced headphone I tried. It does require a lot of power. I am running Ampandsound 's Nautalis. Some members suggest speaker amps.()
Yes 100% agree with you Dipesh on the Empy and Susvara.

Never heard the Susvara to be bright or forward sounding with the mids and highs with any music genres.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #6,490 of 11,973

ThanatosVI

Headphoneus Supremus
Is she using the balanced out?
If so then the issue is not beim underpowered.

The only time I heard someone refer to the Susvara being bright Was when he fed his Wa33 a hot Signal. Maybe something similar happened here.

And then there is still the possibility, that she simply prefers the other headphones.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6,491 of 11,973

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
After some more listening, I think I will keep using the Dekoni pads. I like the feel of the leather especially with longer sessions; smooth and cool on the face. As the sponge compresses less, the clamp is a bit more than stock. Also, i quite like the presentation ie a bit less intimate and more airy/open. The bass sounds tighter, still extends down as low, but is slightly lesser in amount; this is more apparent with the Milo Reference but not as obvious on the WA33. I can live with the slightly reduced bass, given I enjoy the rest of what the pads bring to the table.

They're worth a try.

*edit
I forgot to mention, somehow with the Dekoni pads, the music layering is more apparent and I'm hearing better imaging/placement.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #6,492 of 11,973

MatW

Headphoneus Supremus
After some more listening, I think I will keep using the Dekoni pads. I like the feel of the leather especially with longer sessions; smooth and cool on the face. As the sponge compresses less, the clamp is a bit more than stock. Also, i quite like the presentation ie a bit less intimate and more airy/open. The bass sounds tighter, still extends down as low, but is slightly lesser in amount; this is more apparent with the Milo Reference but not as obvious on the WA33. I can live with the slightly reduced bass, given I enjoy the rest of what the pads bring to the table.

They're worth a try.

*edit
I forgot to mention, somehow with the Dekoni pads, the music layering is more apparent and I'm hearing better imaging/placement.
I also received them. Installation was very easy, fortunately. I am on the fence about how I like them. They are somewhat deeper than stock, but I had hoped for a bigger difference. Not sure yet which I prefer in terms of sound, will do some switching back and forth.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,493 of 11,973

donato

500+ Head-Fier

It's always tricky to get system synergy. i built my setup specifically for my Susvara, but even then there are times my system did sound bright with my Susvara (even with my XP-12/XA25). This happened after I upgraded from my Spring KTE to my May KTE. I was using a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse interconnect between DAC and pre which was a revelation with the Spring KTE, but was too bright for my taste with the more neutral May (I ended up solving this by swapping in a Norne S4 interconnect, also silver). So it's hard to say where her issue might be specifically.

She likes Empy and 1266, but finds Susvara bright. From everything I've read, I don't think I would like 1266 because of it's FR in the upper ranges. From what others have said about Empy, it sounds veiled compared to Susvara; if she's not valuing the detail (and possibly microdynamics, timbre) from the Susvara, then maybe it's just not a good fit for her preferences. There is no perfect headphone that works for everyone. We each have our own preferences and hear in our own way, so it may just come down to that.

I'd also add, that I don't use my Susvara for everything I listen to. I prefer it for vocal, acoustic, intstrumental, but will use my EQ'd LCD-4 for more bass dependent genres (esp. if they are also bright crappy recordings). I don't recall her mentioning what kind of music she listens to, so that might also be a factor (e.g. if you're looking for bass slam, then you probably won't pick a Susvara over a 1266).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #6,494 of 11,973

gwos

Head-Fier
It's always tricky to get system synergy. i built my setup specifically for my Susvara, but even then there are times my system did sound bright with my Susvara (even with my XP-12/XA25). This happened after I upgraded from my Spring KTE to my May KTE. I was using a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse interconnect between DAC and pre which was a revelation with the Spring KTE, but was too bright for my taste with the more neutral May (I ended up solving this by swapping in a Norne S4 interconnect, also silver). So it's hard to say where her issue might be specifically.

She likes Empy and 1266, but finds Susvara bright. From everything I've read, I don't think I would like 1266 because of it's FR in the upper ranges. From what others have said about Empy, it sounds veiled compared to Susvara; if she's not valuing the detail (and possibly microdynamics, timbre) from the Susvara, then maybe it's just not a good fit for her preferences. There is no perfect headphone that works for everyone. We each have our own preferences and hear in our own way, so it may just come down to that.

I'd also add, that I don't use my Susvara for everything I listen to. I prefer it for vocal, acoustic, intstrumental, but will use my EQ'd LCD-4 for more bass dependent genres (esp. if they are also bright crappy recordings). I don't recall her mentioning what kind of music she listens to, so that might also be a factor (e.g. if you're looking for bass slam, then you probably won't pick a Susvara over a 1266).
I love Empyrean sound, to my ears it's like photography in sepia.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #6,495 of 11,973

Dipesh

100+ Head-Fier

They're worth a try.

*edit
do you have link to the site where I can buy the those dekoni pads ?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread