HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 31, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #6,466 of 11,973

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine on our sonic visions discord tried susvara with topping A90 and was really disappointed (felt it wasnt much better than empyrean). Sad.

I was looking forward to her being blown away.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #6,467 of 11,973

nwavesailor

Headphoneus Supremus
I am using something that should work and is inexpensive for my tube amp.

It is a Furman PST-D8

https://furmanpower.com/product/15a-8-outlet-surge-suppressor-w-smp-lift-evs-and-2-filtered-banks/

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 6.01.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #6,468 of 11,973

nwavesailor

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine on our sonic visions discord tried susvara with topping A90 and was really disappointed (felt it wasnt much better than empyrean). Sad.

Wow, that's surprising to me coming from having the Empy for the past 1 1/2 years as my primary hp. IMO they are SO different but then again we all hear differently.

Just last week my GF tried the Empy, Verite open and Susvara. She went into it thinking that she would not hear any difference. She was less than 10 seconds into a Dire Strights tune she knew well and I could see from the look on her face that she had never this song so clearly. She tried the VO and Empy and thought they sounded pretty nice too but was shocked at the detail and clarity of the Susvara! It was powered by a TT2 and Bigger Ben amp, not the A90 however.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,469 of 11,973

sahmen

Headphoneus Supremus

Well it may not be the fault of the Topping at all, if that is meant to be the takeaway from your friend's experience. Sometimes, the end result also depends on other components in the chain, the music one is listening to, and even the listening practices of a particular listener. It has taken me a few months to learn to appreciate the special graces of the Susvara, and identify what sets it apart from the HeKSE, which I also adore. The distinctions between the two now appear bigger and more striking than they did at the beginning, when the susvara first arrived.

My rigs are most likely different from your friend's, but I do have the A90, and while I would not necessarily call it "superlative" or "exceptionally mind-blowing" with the Susvara, as compared to other amps I also use, I have not personally found it to be disappointing at all. I would personally call it a particularly decent performer, especially at its price-point, but that is probably just me... Just saying. :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #6,470 of 11,973

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
it takes time to really learn to appreciate better equipment...there are so many variables at work...obviously the music you listen to ...the volume...the source etc.....gotta live with it for a while

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #6,471 of 11,973

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
She listened to abyss TC on the A90 and was shocked and blown away and thought it sounded different and in many ways better than anything she has (stellia, hd800S, empy, radiance). But Susvara was a massive disappointment for her and its a used unit thats been run in also. I am really surprised given how many ppl here and indeed other people in the discord who own susvara love it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #6,472 of 11,973

BassicScience

500+ Head-Fier
She listened to abyss TC on the A90 and was shocked and blown away and thought it sounded different and in many ways better than anything she has (stellia, hd800S, empy, radiance). But Susvara was a massive disappointment for her and its a used unit thats been run in also. I am really surprised given how many ppl here and indeed other people in the discord who own susvara love it.
Maybe she just doesn't like the sonic signature of the Susvara. Maybe the A90 isn't up to showing it in its best light (I've never heard that amp, so just speculating). Why would one person's reaction to any piece of audio equipment make you wonder why scores of other people love it?

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #6,473 of 11,973

ufospls2

Headphoneus Supremus
That does make sense to me in a couple ways. The 1266 TC's are more of an immediate change and instantly apparent, and sound unlike most other headphones. The Susvara are more of a "conventional" headphone experience, albeit an extremely refined one. The Susvara takes a bit more time to appreciate what its all about. Whilst the A90 maybe isn't the "best" amp for the Susvara, I would think it would let the person know what the Susvara is like, so I'm not sure that would factor in to their feelings too much.

It could just be the Susvara isn't for them, which is certainly possible as well :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,478 of 11,973

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe she just doesn't like the sonic signature of the Susvara. Maybe the A90 isn't up to showing it in its best light (I've never heard that amp, so just speculating). Why would one person's reaction to any piece of audio equipment make you wonder why scores of other people love it?

I guess so. We all have different subjective preferences. I guess I just haven't seen a ton of people actually be underwhelmed by it, but maybe I was just surrounded by susvara fans and so had a distorted local perspective.

That does make sense to me in a couple ways. The 1266 TC's are more of an immediate change and instantly apparent, and sound unlike most other headphones. The Susvara are more of a "conventional" headphone experience, albeit an extremely refined one. The Susvara takes a bit more time to appreciate what its all about. Whilst the A90 maybe isn't the "best" amp for the Susvara, I would think it would let the person know what the Susvara is like, so I'm not sure that would factor in to their feelings too much.

It could just be the Susvara isn't for them, which is certainly possible as well :)

Good points. Sajid did say A90 is excellent with susvara so dunno ?

comfort of TC was a negative factor for me. Decided on Susvara . I am using ampsandsound Nautilus. Expensive but worth every penny.

This was weird too. She found TC extremely comfortable lol.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #6,479 of 11,973

Dipesh

100+ Head-Fier
I guess so. We all have different subjective preferences. I guess I just haven't seen a ton of people actually be underwhelmed by it, but maybe I was just surrounded by susvara fans and so had a distorted local perspective.

Good points. Sajid did say A90 is excellent with susvara so dunno ?

This was weird too. She found TC extremely comfortable lol.
😁 At home is listen to speakers. Headfi is for office and have to move my sight between 3 monitors. The movement made it impossible to use TC

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #6,480 of 11,973

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
20210201_181952.jpg

Received the Dekoni Fenestrated Elite pads. They were quite easy to install, thanks to the credit card trick by @ra990. The leather is very soft and smooth; I like it. However, not as lush or luxurious as my Utopia pads.

20210201_182147.jpg

They come labelled L and R, so no mixups there.. As someone pointed out, only a thin edge of leather is glued onto the blue plastic piece. It would be nice if a bit more leather was glued on, at the very least to inspire some confidence in durability.

20210201_182048.jpg

The stock pad on the left is visibly thicker than the Dekoni pad on the right. However, the foam in the Dekoni pad is not as soft, and therefore compresses less than the stock pad. I don't feel my ear touching the driver cover using the Dekoni pad.

20210201_182340.jpg

Pic above from the back.

20210201_182352.jpg

Pic above from the front. Some unevenness in the seams and pad thickness.

20210201_182432.jpg

When installed, the seams should line up with the plug ports (I believe).

Sound wise, I agree with the guys before me.. Slightly less bass in amount and overall punchiness, but similar extension and detail. Soundstage definitely sounds wider. I did find the top end quite similar sounding with regards to detail and clarity, but it overall slightly less forward and easier to push up the volume without becoming harsh or grainy.

I think there are some tradeoffs with these pads.. Will do some more listening tonight. One thing I really like is the leather is smoother and cooler on my face than the stock pad cloth surface, which felt a bit scratchy/itchy and a little warm after some time.

Attachments

• 20210201_182054.jpg
    20210201_182054.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread