HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #4,891 of 11,810

beemerphile

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, FYI : So I'm an official member of the"a 'fellowship of the Susvarians" since this morning. My unit (the Susvara) landed today, and so far I am listening to it on this system :

Sonore Optical module (optone audio LPS 1.5) ==>> Uptone Etherregen (Paul Hynes SR4T LPS) ==>> Metrum Ac Ambre (I2S) ==>> Sonnet D.Morpheus ==>> Flux Lab FA-10 ==>> Susvara

Welcome to the club. Your chain is very close to mine (Ambre > Morpheus > Class A amp) and I am sure that the sound is exceptional. But for others who may be putting together a similar chain from scratch, from a system budgeting perspective I am curious about the sonic benefit of the optical module and etherRegen and a couple of expensive LPS's. Everything up to the Metrum is asynchronous data in packet form and the Ambre comes with optical isolation at its ethernet input. The pi is further galvanically isolated from the signal processing and timing sections. The two clocks in the Ambre are very good. I2S is the optimum connection to the Morpheus. If you are streaming from the internet, the packets have already made their way through a high number of copper and optical switches. I have some difficulty understanding how the last one can become sonically important. I did a test at my home by replacing the wired ethernet with an optical link straight from my HP managed switch (which has optical ports) to a media converter at the Ambre. It is the same switch that my Synology NAS is connected to via a 4-ethernet trunk. So for FLAC files on the NAS this is about as direct and isolated as one could get. Maybe it is my tin ears, but I could hear no difference. We agree on the Metrum, Morpheus, and Susvara (which is the heart of the matter) but I would suggest that someone building this chain from scratch spend the remainder of the system budget on the highest quality and most system-synergistic class A power amplifier that they can get. I am just another anonymous opinion on the internet, but my ears can't hear ethernet and the stock Hifiman cables on the Susvara, though they have a cheap rubbery feel, are good bi-metal silver/copper cables and sound fine.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #4,892 of 11,810

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
@beemerphile

I use the ER. Have tried removing it from the chain, but the music then sounds like it is missing something. I can't explain it, but it just sounds better with the ER.

I read the thread on the ER on audiosciencereview before purchasing it, so I bought it with skepticism.

I'd say, give it a shot and if you don't hear any difference with it, send it back.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #4,894 of 11,810

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,896 of 11,810

beemerphile

100+ Head-Fier
I got very simillar device in my setup, it provides nice SQ bump.
Guess I'm going to be an outlier here. I'm not in the "try things and send them back" school and I believe that circuit and system simplicity are very worthwhile goals. My current system is high quality, but it is the simplest it has ever been from the non-oversampling DAC to the Class A amp. It has also never sounded better. I know that true audiophiles are not supposed to say this, but I am satisfied. I have no more problems to solve, and if I am missing something, I just don't care. It's taken me a long time, a lot of money, and I've been down a lot of rabbit holes to get here, so I think I'd just like to bask in it for, oh, the rest of my life.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #4,898 of 11,810

Jon773

100+ Head-Fier
Guess I'm going to be an outlier here. I'm not in the "try things and send them back" school and I believe that circuit and system simplicity are very worthwhile goals. My current system is high quality, but it is the simplest it has ever been from the non-oversampling DAC to the Class A amp. It has also never sounded better. I know that true audiophiles are not supposed to say this, but I am satisfied. I have no more problems to solve, and if I am missing something, I just don't care. It's taken me a long time, a lot of money, and I've been down a lot of rabbit holes to get here, so I think I'd just like to bask in it for, oh, the rest of my life.

So what is your setup?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #4,900 of 11,810

Ciggavelli

1000+ Head-Fier
How is Chord Dave plus Mscaler?
I love it. You of course need an external amp for the Susvara, but since the DAVE and M-scaler are so detailed, you can add an external amp without a noticeable degradation in resolution

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #4,902 of 11,810

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
I've only tried susvara with WyWires and AC Silver. I prefer the silver cable. the WyWires is no slouch, but I'm not a big fan of its build and ergonomics. That deal sounds OK but depends what u need the adaptors for. Otherwise, without extras, for the usual price, I'd rather get the silver cable.

I have X6 in gold+silver, and X8 in gold plated silver (don't know what sonic differences they would make considering both have gold and silver, but can't make 1:1 comparison as X6 is iem and X8 is headphone). Shared characteristics I would say are smooth highs and lots of bass (rounded and a bit boomy, rather than tight), crazy super lush and thick mids.

I may be just a silver kind of guy, but I find a well implemented silver cable plays well to the Susvara's strengths.

I'm with you. I almost always prefer high quality silver with headphones, but especially with the Susvara.

The realism silver imparts with its clarity, quick transients and extension on both ends is rarely matched by copper wires IMO. The design matters ofcourse, but the conductor usually makes the bulk of the difference IME.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #4,903 of 11,810

sahmen

Headphoneus Supremus
Welcome to the club. Your chain is very close to mine (Ambre > Morpheus > Class A amp) and I am sure that the sound is exceptional. But for others who may be putting together a similar chain from scratch, from a system budgeting perspective I am curious about the sonic benefit of the optical module and etherRegen and a couple of expensive LPS's. Everything up to the Metrum is asynchronous data in packet form and the Ambre comes with optical isolation at its ethernet input. The pi is further galvanically isolated from the signal processing and timing sections. The two clocks in the Ambre are very good. I2S is the optimum connection to the Morpheus. If you are streaming from the internet, the packets have already made their way through a high number of copper and optical switches. I have some difficulty understanding how the last one can become sonically important. I did a test at my home by replacing the wired ethernet with an optical link straight from my HP managed switch (which has optical ports) to a media converter at the Ambre. It is the same switch that my Synology NAS is connected to via a 4-ethernet trunk. So for FLAC files on the NAS this is about as direct and isolated as one could get. Maybe it is my tin ears, but I could hear no difference. We agree on the Metrum, Morpheus, and Susvara (which is the heart of the matter) but I would suggest that someone building this chain from scratch spend the remainder of the system budget on the highest quality and most system-synergistic class A power amplifier that they can get. I am just another anonymous opinion on the internet, but my ears can't hear ethernet and the stock Hifiman cables on the Susvara, though they have a cheap rubbery feel, are good bi-metal silver/copper cables and sound fine.

Thanks for your warm congratulatory message. Your questions about the use of my switches and power supplies are asked in good faith, so I welcome them. I am no engineer, but I know from some readings I have done that there are various types of electrical and digital noises (or to use the usual jargon, "common mode noise," "leakage current noise," "ground plane noise," "clock phase noise," "jitter," etc. etc.) that can plague an audio signal, and that not all these types of noise can be successfully addressed by one component alone.

You sound like someone with a mind for techie stuff (an electrical engineer maybe?) so I shall direct you to this paper by John Swenson of Uptone 'audio, who is the "guru" from whom I have garnered what little I know about all these types of "noises," and related "gremlins" and "ghouls" one might run across on the pilgrimage to audio nirvana :

>> Link John Swenson's white paper <<

Two more things:

1. I am supplying this info because you asked, and I am assuming you did so in good faith. I am not trying to convince you to buy anything or change your mind about the resolutions you've announced about not buying anything else.,

2. As for the Etherregen, it works, period, at least to these ears. I noticed its effects in minutes, if not seconds after placing it in my chain, which I ironically thought was already very resolving and practically noise-free. Well, it is not the first time I have encountered this irony of noticing the existence of certain types of noise only when they're no longer there, and my audio black background (which I mistook for the optimal in "black ') has become even blacker. (hence the joke about "gremlins" and "ghouls" :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile:)

There is a discussion of John Swenson's White paper on the Audiophile Style site, in case that interests you :

>> Link: Discussion of white paper <<

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #4,905 of 11,810

MatW

Headphoneus Supremus
Atom to M scaler with USB or optical. I use USB. M scaler to Dave with double BNC cables. I use Wave stream. Dave to the amp with XLR or RCA, depending on whether it's balanced or not.

Users who are viewing this thread