HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,536 of 11,878

Johnny1982xyz

100+ Head-Fier
Strange that AIC10 can change sound connecting to speaker taps instead of the xlr ... it should be exactly the same connection to the hardware ...

actually as I tried my susvara (unfortunatly didn't had the possibility to listen it to the aic10) i preferred susvy from tubes than SS

for cables ... i make my own cables ... most of the time i use the one I made with OCC silver wire by neotech that enances speed , detail and imaging ... but sumetimes i use another cable made with duelund tinned copper wire tha gives a thouch of warmth and enanche musicality

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #2,537 of 11,878

fredfung28

100+ Head-Fier
Strange that AIC10 can change sound connecting to speaker taps instead of the xlr ... it should be exactly the same connection to the hardware ...

actually as I tried my susvara (unfortunatly didn't had the possibility to listen it to the aic10) i preferred susvy from tubes than SS

for cables ... i make my own cables ... most of the time i use the one I made with OCC silver wire by neotech that enances speed , detail and imaging ... but sumetimes i use another cable made with duelund tinned copper wire tha gives a thouch of warmth and enanche musicality
As I remember, its from a member here @biscottino , but actually it is not changing the sound but adding some more power to it. Maybe speaker side has more power than the 4pin. I have no idea

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,538 of 11,878

llamaluv

1000+ Head-Fier
OCC silver wire by neotech that enances speed , detail and imaging ...

+1 for Neotech silver wire. I use them with another headphone and the improvement over stock was the most dramatic I've ever experienced. I've never heard it with the Susvara though. Would love to compare it to my Lavricables.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,539 of 11,878

bozebuttons

Co-organized 1st International HF Meet (NY 2006)
Godfather of Babylon
I just got the Susvara's in the past couple of weeks. Most of my listening time has been with a Chord MScaler / Chord 2 TT ( DAC/Headphone Amp ) plugged into the front headphone jack listening to Tidal Master tracks or local digital tracks over my home network. Today, I've started doing a little A/B testing as I setup in another room connecting the cans to a MSB Analog Dac / ARC REF75 Amplifier / Hifiman HE-Adapter ( basically my old audiophile gear that was hooked speakers ).

With the tube system there is more musicality and less fatigue in addition to what sounded like better bass, however less crisp. When switching back the Chord stack there was lot more crispness / depth heard however bass again is much weaker.

Thoughts from anyone that has been down this path?

Cheers,

Chris
Hook the Susvara directly to your speaker amp with a adapter cable ,no need for hifiman adapter,I use my susvara that way with a hegel h20 250watt amp or a Passlabs XA25 25 watt class a amp ,just make sure to lower volume all the way when turning on system or off. give that a try but
you will need to unhook your speaker cables otherwise your speakers will play at the same time.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,541 of 11,878

gordec

1000+ Head-Fier
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,542 of 11,878

Articnoise

Headphoneus Supremus
Hook the Susvara directly to your speaker amp with a adapter cable ,no need for hifiman adapter,I use my susvara that way with a hegel h20 250watt amp or a Passlabs XA25 25 watt class a amp ,just make sure to lower volume all the way when turning on system or off. give that a try but
you will need to unhook your speaker cables otherwise your speakers will play at the same time.

ARC REF75 is a tube amp so I would not recommended that. At least some resistance on the taps is required.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #2,543 of 11,878

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry I don't know how XI is doing with Susvara as in HK there are no distributor or seller. I think AIC-10 should be one of the top amp that is same with viva egoista as I have kind of compared it in HK where my friend has it. And there are a review from http://gpoint-audio.com/new-riviera...ted-amplifier-test-by-fidelio-on-musicalhead/ here, which stated that the aic10 is in the very top class. So I don't know if XI is good for Susvara or not.
I heard that XI is using JPS cables inside its amp as it originally paired and tuned for 1266. So, I don't know if it is good pairing with Sus or not, I think it can be able to drive it good but I don't know if the tone colour suit or not

i have both the 1266 TC and the susvara and am using the formula s /powerman combo with both.....the amp is fantastic with both and the best i have heard with planars...what i love is the amp is made for HP's unlike speaker amps and do not overpower the HP which i find gives them a relaxing yet powerful presentation...highly recommended

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #2,544 of 11,878

Matez

Member of the Trade: Forza Audio Works
i have both the 1266 TC and the susvara and am using the formula s /powerman combo with both.....the amp is fantastic with both and the best i have heard with planars...what i love is the amp is made for HP's unlike speaker amps and do not overpower the HP which i find gives them a relaxing yet powerful presentation...highly recommended

I had no idea Susvaras can be overpowered :k701smile:

Jokes aside, they seem kinda limitless in a way.

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,545 of 11,878

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
to me a speaker amp is simply not practical....i have my desktop HP system next to my bed, already it was hard enough to figure out how to use the Formula s and powerman with the rest of the equipment...a speaker amp is impossible for me...in addition the speaker amp is only practical perhaps for the susvara and limited with other HP's...I am very happy with the headphone amp

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,546 of 11,878

cladane

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Of course if there is kinda problem with tubes speakers amps don’t use them but imho they are the best amps for Susvara which is quite never overpowered.
Point is that not any tube amp manufacturers can build speakers amps allowing headphones directly connected to the speakers tabs. Actually I know two of them: VIVA with the Solista and Ariès Cérat with their Genus. No resistor needed, no hum.

True that the Riviera AIC is at par with the Egoista 845, even if I found a bit more soundstage on the Egoista and a bit more impact with the AIC. But really a question of taste in this case at the same high level.
Imho, the XI is very nice but not in the same league. Soundstage, sound richness (suits more Abyss than Susvara). But very good at his price point.

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,547 of 11,878

Thenewguy007

Headphoneus Supremus
Entreq makes ground boxes from $900-$9,000 USD. Is this really worth the investment? Aren’t grounding problems with TOTL amps addressed in the design of their power supplies There seems no end to the expensive tweaks that may or may not be even discernible to most ears.

What's worse, is that those $9,000 Entreq grounding boxes are just wooden boxes full of rocks! Ones you can get for pennies on ebay or Aliexpress & like two thin cheap bent copper plates that also sell for just cents.
There is a cheap speaker terminal connector drilled into the wood & that's it.

Someone of whatsbestforum accidentally cut the cover on his expensive Entreq USB cable, only to find out that underneath the cotton sheath, was a plain generic $1 USB cable.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,549 of 11,878

Slim1970

Headphoneus Supremus
FWIW I use a speaker amp with no problems at all and it sounds fantastic.
Same here. I even use the HE-Adapter and the Susvara’s still sounds better from a speaker amp than any headphone amp I’ve heard them on. Right now I’ve been using the 29W Burson Bang with a dual V6 Classic op-amp and the warmth and musicality of that amp is very, very inviting. It has plenty of oomph and drive as well.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #2,550 of 11,878

Whitigir

Headphoneus Supremus
What's worse, is that those $9,000 Entreq grounding boxes are just wooden boxes full of rocks! Ones you can get for pennies on ebay or Aliexpress & like two thin cheap bent copper plates that also sell for just cents.
There is a cheap speaker terminal connector drilled into the wood & that's it.

Someone of whatsbestforum accidentally cut the cover on his expensive Entreq USB cable, only to find out that underneath the cotton sheath, was a plain generic $1 USB cable.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ignal-grounding-preliminary-measurements.476/

Users who are viewing this thread