HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #2,371 of 25,547
Yo yo yo! This is Kylo Ren. Let me give you my take on the SR1A. Ever since Rey showed no interest in me, I started getting into headphones instead of trying to conquer the galaxy. Power is over rated.

The SR1A reminds me most of Utopia in terms of treble, clarity and speed. It blows by the Utopia in all 3 aspects. Instead of feeling very confined in a closed sound stage, the SR1A is very open. It is suppose to be open because it only has padding on the top and front of the unit. 60% of the ear speaker has no earpads. The biggest mystery about the ergonomics is that you can move it forward and back ward because it has a back strap. Moving it as forward as you can give you the biggest soundstage.

y4mRKLhYl8_zoMxti3Ux1w5FYOcjwfdIF2eYjVRLNzpiueICSZBJqSnUUvQkKJfN_8yelt5pafMP0jJrn1fWBlIX-VfuDNZnzFPRiTD64NATSvIQ5NlKe4vGIQXv1ryy422dyzZ-h1X3F5PWsW_dtRpduS7BMLDmpuuMMC1ApIzLXDYPoW-kqRotHL9P-GyAd_Wc0XzhmtpOcXXZvlGZbANiw

I also feel like letting the ear speakers swing open about 30 degrees give the best sound. One thing I don't appreciate as contrary to most reviews so far is the imaging. It's not as holographic as I expected. If anything, I feel like Susvara is better in that aspect. It's more precise. I played with positioning as much as I can. Out of all the headphones I have heard I rank imaging as the following: Sennheiser HE1 > Jade II > Susvara > Abyss Phi > SR1A = HD800.

y4mDsnUAo3q1WVWv_6MyrRbN1oK7bjd3kqavVnD8d7qQUMzfvG745jAekI0XQoOp4oS3dUwwp9QIyE2cHZbQ6Q_vU20YnFMTnCQ8H08IBTTlv5kAz2PNRdGdGuvScVNT4HWuwNMYziWMXF_hA1o3-aYcQ--kIbykN5kZzyrHnWhXTB3Th69x3gV9y3z8DHSejm-kCDOaCZ6AYTC0kCPLi34Ug

You have to understand that the SR1A is just a different beast than Susvara. They are so different, but both are technically excellent in their own. Susvara is very analogue sounding with greatness across the spectrum. It's thick and impactful with mids to kill for. The SR1A is the fastest set of ear speakers I have heard. It is so fast it can make bass sound lacking, but in fact, the bass is very present but it decays so quickly, it doesn't hang around. This is purely a matter of preference. The treble also extends forever in the SR1A. You may love that or may feel fatiguing at time.

My best analogy is that SR1A and Susvara are two beautiful women, both 9.5/10. They are not 10/10 because Rey is the only one who's perfect. However, they are 9.5/10 from different race. If you are an Ewok, you would prefer a 9.5 Ewok over a 9.5 Wookie. Ideally you have both, but sound signature is everything.

My chain: Pro iDSD -> NAD M22 v2 -> SR1A

I gotta Facetime Rey. I'm out may the sound be with you.

y4m3n5JbqwCcjKcIgCurgAYG9sb8EcJUKMH-zmBmTN8a-8gFoGAa7z_wlWfz-5UT4zPYLxYHn3iZzbW0yyvv-M09uH22MSQF3z3ovWl1q4KtW03NS9h8aeJe2Q5YZUSxMZgvHN3bYZr1zOS7kmJDpaJ44yldfqFGGY4cK4G3MuV6ysFaLU0zN50lfY9MKtapwXuujm1Cj1UevXdPkaZse_kQg

y4mrFa7g1PvoI4ryOmmGgdJGbLfiBYzB-If0MGq9JQ3Fcoe4yvAzTVStBxGVNtxfxsqkLy4fTgeLL-OOh8avkciO8pJ8DI7BlCd2yrRhXmfDh0bvBo-F9UwKfU6LFEuri5KyqZUdigbHUOuG4RMRlEYbYocTfDm5LPqzBBXlg6u3DR_nPa4ugJLIj-_LnVY-y5C2cfOBNt3sPqNiNYoTX2A7A

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #2,374 of 25,547
Well from to be fair, ive also heard thin sounding susvaras from some pairings
So i wont jump to conclusions just yet.
Its just for my preferences i like a richer sounding headphones
I wont say the raal thin, its just not full relative to well set up susvaras,

Anyway ive only heard it once and for a short while and only on one setup

Synergy is everything

I think talking point that has been overlooked is the comfort level of the SR1a. They require the listener to sit absolutely straight and not move the head/neck so much. Even a slight recline would cause the wings to move to a sub-optimal position. My neck got so stiff after awhile. To me the fit/comfort level is below the Abyss Phi TC and just nowhere near the Susvara.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #2,375 of 25,547
I think talking point that has been overlooked is the comfort level of the SR1a. They require the listener to sit absolutely straight and not move the head/neck so much. Even a slight recline would cause the wings to move to a sub-optimal position. My neck got so stiff after awhile. To me the fit/comfort level is below the Abyss Phi TC and just nowhere near the Susvara.

So which SS speaker amp or headphone amp has the best synergy to get the Susvara to perform at its best level?

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #2,376 of 25,547
I've been using the Bryston 2.5B SST2 with both the Susvara and RAAL SR1a on a daily basis for the past two months and really like it a lot. Detail and resolvingness are its salient characteristics. Very dynamic on both headphones; bass is not lacking on the SR1a. Synergy and general tonal balance is solid with both, but pairs especially well with the Susvara. My favorite over the 3 or 4 other amps I've owned while I've had the Susvara.

But the best amp I've heard the two headphones on so far is @cradon's Pass Labs INT-150, which I was able to compare side-by-side against the above Bryston. Hearing it was the first time I've thought to use the term "holographic" as a descriptor with a clear conscience. Very smooth, and the most full-bodied lower-mids I've heard on the SR1a so far.

Also, I'm glad to see the RAAL getting mentioned now alongside the Susvara. The two are a natural pairing IMO, particularly with the speaker amp synergies at play with the latter.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #2,378 of 25,547

Comfort is fine if you use the rear strap and adjust the headband accordingly - you can't be on your back, but leaning into a sofa is absolutely fine.

I have the Phi CC and it's not nearly as comfortable as the SR1a. The Susvara is better than the Phi CC, though.

Well yeah, perhaps because they are literally open, lol. I am not surprised to see them described as lean compared to sealed earpads. I think I'm hopping off the hype train for now based on that feedback. Considered buying them blindly but now I am more comfortable waiting 'til CanJam SoCal for a demo first.

IMO an issue is that people are putting those onto amps that are relatively underpowered. It's like trying to write a review of the Susvara based on how they sound off a WA6SE or JDS atom. To me the fair comparison is finding a single amp that's both an overwhelmingly good headphone amp and has more than 100wpc into 8 ohms. The Simaudio 700i could probably do that, and maybe a Bryston monoblock setup straight from the taps. But you can't directly compare the SR1a's on a $2k speaker amp - where flaws are mostly going to be from the amp and not the cans - to the Susvara on a WA33e.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,379 of 25,547
I've not heard the RAAL. Regarding a speaker like presentation - I am hoping the Susvara with the Smyth A16 3D Audio processor will tick all right the boxes. If the A16 ever gets here and if it works it should be a game changer.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,380 of 25,547
Well yeah, perhaps because they are literally open, lol. I am not surprised to see them described as lean compared to sealed earpads. I think I'm hopping off the hype train for now based on that feedback. Considered buying them blindly but now I am more comfortable waiting 'til CanJam SoCal for a demo first.

A while ago I had K1000 for rewiring and loved them. That's the reason I'd give those Raals a blind go. That openness and out of my head sensation was glorious.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #2,382 of 25,547
Yo yo yo! This is Kylo Ren. Let me give you my take on the SR1A. Ever since Rey showed no interest in me, I started getting into headphones instead of trying to conquer the galaxy. Power is over rated.

The SR1A reminds me most of Utopia in terms of treble, clarity and speed. It blows by the Utopia in all 3 aspects. Instead of feeling very confined in a closed sound stage, the SR1A is very open. It is suppose to be open because it only has padding on the top and front of the unit. 60% of the ear speaker has no earpads. The biggest mystery about the ergonomics is that you can move it forward and back ward because it has a back strap. Moving it as forward as you can give you the biggest soundstage.

y4mRKLhYl8_zoMxti3Ux1w5FYOcjwfdIF2eYjVRLNzpiueICSZBJqSnUUvQkKJfN_8yelt5pafMP0jJrn1fWBlIX-VfuDNZnzFPRiTD64NATSvIQ5NlKe4vGIQXv1ryy422dyzZ-h1X3F5PWsW_dtRpduS7BMLDmpuuMMC1ApIzLXDYPoW-kqRotHL9P-GyAd_Wc0XzhmtpOcXXZvlGZbANiw

I also feel like letting the ear speakers swing open about 30 degrees give the best sound. One thing I don't appreciate as contrary to most reviews so far is the imaging. It's not as holographic as I expected. If anything, I feel like Susvara is better in that aspect. It's more precise. I played with positioning as much as I can. Out of all the headphones I have heard I rank imaging as the following: Sennheiser HE1 > Jade II > Susvara > Abyss Phi > SR1A = HD800.

y4mDsnUAo3q1WVWv_6MyrRbN1oK7bjd3kqavVnD8d7qQUMzfvG745jAekI0XQoOp4oS3dUwwp9QIyE2cHZbQ6Q_vU20YnFMTnCQ8H08IBTTlv5kAz2PNRdGdGuvScVNT4HWuwNMYziWMXF_hA1o3-aYcQ--kIbykN5kZzyrHnWhXTB3Th69x3gV9y3z8DHSejm-kCDOaCZ6AYTC0kCPLi34Ug

You have to understand that the SR1A is just a different beast than Susvara. They are so different, but both are technically excellent in their own. Susvara is very analogue sounding with greatness across the spectrum. It's thick and impactful with mids to kill for. The SR1A is the fastest set of ear speakers I have heard. It is so fast it can make bass sound lacking, but in fact, the bass is very present but it decays so quickly, it doesn't hang around. This is purely a matter of preference. The treble also extends forever in the SR1A. You may love that or may feel fatiguing at time.

My best analogy is that SR1A and Susvara are two beautiful women, both 9.5/10. They are not 10/10 because Rey is the only one who's perfect. However, they are 9.5/10 from different race. If you are an Ewok, you would prefer a 9.5 Ewok over a 9.5 Wookie. Ideally you have both, but sound signature is everything.

My chain: Pro iDSD -> NAD M22 v2 -> SR1A

I gotta Facetime Rey. I'm out may the sound be with you.

y4m3n5JbqwCcjKcIgCurgAYG9sb8EcJUKMH-zmBmTN8a-8gFoGAa7z_wlWfz-5UT4zPYLxYHn3iZzbW0yyvv-M09uH22MSQF3z3ovWl1q4KtW03NS9h8aeJe2Q5YZUSxMZgvHN3bYZr1zOS7kmJDpaJ44yldfqFGGY4cK4G3MuV6ysFaLU0zN50lfY9MKtapwXuujm1Cj1UevXdPkaZse_kQg

y4mrFa7g1PvoI4ryOmmGgdJGbLfiBYzB-If0MGq9JQ3Fcoe4yvAzTVStBxGVNtxfxsqkLy4fTgeLL-OOh8avkciO8pJ8DI7BlCd2yrRhXmfDh0bvBo-F9UwKfU6LFEuri5KyqZUdigbHUOuG4RMRlEYbYocTfDm5LPqzBBXlg6u3DR_nPa4ugJLIj-_LnVY-y5C2cfOBNt3sPqNiNYoTX2A7A

Absolutely epic post. Thanks for sharing man.

I'm still loving the Susvara!!! Epic combo with the Wells Audio Milo IMO.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,384 of 25,547
How much better does the Susvara sound paired to a speaker amp vs Wells audio Enigma or Headtrip II,, How about the Souedaware P1 with Susvara?

No idea sorry, haven't heard any of those pairings.

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,385 of 25,547
How much better does the Susvara sound paired to a speaker amp vs Wells audio Enigma or Headtrip II,, How about the Souedaware P1 with Susvara?

I tried Susvara out of the speaker tabs of MHA100 (50W per channel) and NAD M22 (300W per channel). Compared to the P1, M22 sounds very similar to the P1. You basically get close to what I think is Susvara's full potential. P1 and M22 are clearly better than MHA100. Susvara when driven to full potential should sound very full, open with precise imaging. You want 3W per channel out the amp. The P1 is about 5W-6W balanced.

Some reviewers say the XIAudio Formula S sounds better than P1, but I'm not sure how much better it can make the Susvara sound, but for the $2000 price difference, I'll stick with the P1. I think I'm still the only owner of the P1 amp who also has Susvara. I did have another local headfi friend listen to the P1, and he pretty much agrees, so take it with a slight grain of salt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back