HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,056 of 24,925
Sure but it won't be for a few weeks. My phone cam can't focus close enough to catch the details and I won't have my new camera for a few weeks. I should be able to use a macro mode to highlight the changes I mentioned.

Thanks for the reply. Will look out for the pics. Much appreciated :)

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,057 of 24,925
I think these headphones are next on my purchase list. They were phenomenal on the setups I tried. Such a pleasant out of the head sound experience and so smooth! I love them.

What did you think of the bass output? I heard them in both the Headamp room and at Hifiman and the bass was lacking on both setups. Now the sound stage....damn....the most 3D sound stage I have heard yet on an HP.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,058 of 24,925
I think it depended on the music type. The holographic sound was so amazing I never even paid attention to the bass part. Out of things I can afford, this headphone blew me away the most. It's so, so, so, smooth it's freaky at times.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,059 of 24,925
What did you think of the bass output? I heard them in both the Headamp room and at Hifiman and the bass was lacking on both setups. Now the sound stage....damn....the most 3D sound stage I have heard yet on an HP.
Not for bass heads. When there is bass it can be visceral. If you want your head to vibrate then go for the Abyss PHI. The Susvara integrates the full frequency spectrum in a natural presentation. Not sure I could say this about other HPs.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2,060 of 24,925
I think it depended on the music type. The holographic sound was so amazing I never even paid attention to the bass part. Out of things I can afford, this headphone blew me away the most. It's so, so, so, smooth it's freaky at times.

You are right I was amazed at the 3D presentaion.....even compared to the Stax. I gotta admit the Dr is a bit of a soundspace genius. The sound stage was well layered, even more so than the Meze which I did a direct comparison with.

Not for bass heads. When there is bass it can be visceral. If you want your head to vibrate then go for the Abyss PHI. The Susvara integrates the full frequency spectrum in a natural presentation. Not sure I could say this about other HPs.
Yes, I realized that the bass is more heard and not felt with these. Not sure they could be my dailies because of this, more likely the HEK 1000SE, which has more tangible bass and still has a great spatial presentation, just not as good as the Susvara's.

It's funny, I listened to the Abyss Phi's about fifteen minutes and still do not remember what they sounded like. Just didn't make that much of an impact on me.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,061 of 24,925
The Susvara has really good subbass and bass if you have the right amp. Some of the really good and popular amps in headfi are not sufficient to bring out that good bass. However, you may be just drowned in the sweet vocals with the Susvaras like me.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,062 of 24,925
The Susvara has really good subbass and bass if you have the right amp. Some of the really good and popular amps in headfi are not sufficient to bring out that good bass. However, you may be just drowned in the sweet vocals with the Susvaras like me.
So has anyone come up with a list of the very best amp pairing with the Susvara to bring out more sub bass without distortion or coloring and a pitch black back ground?

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,063 of 24,925
So has anyone come up with a list of the very best amp pairing with the Susvara to bring out more sub bass without distortion or coloring and a pitch black back ground?

As the Susvara isn't a very widespread headphones (likely due to its price) I doubt it. The Chord Hugo TT2 does a good job with the Susvara in terms of low distortion of colouring, however, if Sub bass and bass is what you are looking for a speaker amp is probably best. With that being said, EQ is also a helpful tool.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,064 of 24,925
Cradon is using a Pass labs 150 intergrated amp off its speaker outputs no lack of bass & really shows the strengths of the susvara.
I use the Eddie current studio with a highfedility trinity helix headphone module feeding the susvara with the Dana ultra cable.
Source is EMM labs CDSD transport feeding a Lampozator Gen 4 Big 7 which outputs 3 volts which gives you the extra gain for the amp
Volume knob around 10:30 to 11:00
For me the Susvara is my Go to headphone & nothing I heard at Canjam convinced me otherwise I owned the HEKV1 &2 the Susvara is the more refined headphone. I heard the RallSRA,Abyss ,utopia & many others.
I own multible headphones including stax 007mk1,origional Jade & Carbon HV
The Pass used would be the cheaper way to go

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,065 of 24,925
Cradon is using a Pass labs 150 intergrated amp off its speaker outputs no lack of bass & really shows the strengths of the susvara.
I use the Eddie current studio with a highfedility trinity helix headphone module feeding the susvara with the Dana ultra cable.
Source is EMM labs CDSD transport feeding a Lampozator Gen 4 Big 7 which outputs 3 volts which gives you the extra gain for the amp
Volume knob around 10:30 to 11:00
For me the Susvara is my Go to headphone & nothing I heard at Canjam convinced me otherwise I owned the HEKV1 &2 the Susvara is the more refined headphone. I heard the RallSRA,Abyss ,utopia & many others.
I own multible headphones including stax 007mk1,origional Jade & Carbon HV
The Pass used would be the cheaper way to go
How do you connect it to the speaker out? "Susvara".

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2,066 of 24,925

I have stated many times in this thread almost ad nauseam that I love the Soundaware P1 after trying a whole list of really good amps. P1 beats them all. It's probably one of the best amp in the $1500-$3000 or even higher price point. It's annoy because they have no US retailer, so you have to order from Asia. I was at a friend's house this weekend listening to his setup with Pro iCan and iESL driving the Susvara. The Susvara out of the P1 sounds better than the iFi stack. The amp is "only" $1500.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,067 of 24,925
How do you connect it to the speaker out? "Susvara".

Anything like this. 4pin XLR to banana plugs or spades. You could also use the hifiman HE-Adapter.

12 8strand-1.jpg

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #2,068 of 24,925
I use the Pro iCan as a preamp for my Burson Timekeeper power amp, which I have connected to the Hifiman HE-Adapter. As much as I’m a fan of the Pro iCan with other headphones the Burson Timekeeper ups the performance ante of the Susvara’s. The grip it has on the Susvara’s drivers is amazing. The way the Susvara’s respond the extra power is unreal. The Timekeeper is warm, dynamic and detailed. The bass out of the Timekeeper is deep, fast, layered, articulate and can slam if it’s in recording. The treble is airy and seems to extend forever. The midrange conveys all the passion of the music and sits perfectly in between the bass and treble. It’s the most incredible headphone I’ve heard and have the pleasure of owning. It’s sounds so three dimensional, natural, life-like and I’m glad more people are getting to at least experience them. To me they are worth every cent I paid for them.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #2,069 of 24,925
I use the Pro iCan as a preamp for my Burson Timekeeper power amp, which I have connected to the Hifiman HE-Adapter. As much as I’m a fan of the Pro iCan with other headphones the Burson Timekeeper ups the performance ante of the Susvara’s. The grip it has on the Susvara’s drivers is amazing. The way the Susvara’s respond the extra power is unreal. The Timekeeper is warm, dynamic and detailed. The bass out of the Timekeeper is deep, fast, layered, articulate and can slam if it’s in recording. The treble is airy and seems to extend forever. The midrange conveys all the passion of the music and sits perfectly in between the bass and treble. It’s the most incredible headphone I’ve heard and have the pleasure of owning. It’s sounds so three dimensional, natural, life-like and I’m glad more people are getting to at least experience them. To me they are worth every cent I paid for them.
Would it be possible to drive the Burson Timekeeper power amp, connected to the Hifiman HE-Adapter from the CHORD DAVE without a preamp and still get the phenomenal results you describe? Then $2600 looks like a great investment for that amp.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #2,070 of 24,925
I guess now I am looking for the most transparent SPEAKER amp connected to the Hifiman HE-Adapter with Chord DAVE without another preamp. In addition to the $2600 Burson Timekeeper, what other speaker amps in this price range are best to use this way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back