HiFiMan Susvara Review: The HE6 is Dead, Long Live the Susvara
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #31 of 49
The Susvara is 83dB efficient, the LCD4 is 95dB, so MILES away, sorry.....

when we talk about the driving of a headset, in addition to the efficiency value, we must keep in mind the value of the ohm of the headset, because it is the most determining for the power available to listen and drive a headset.
Considering 60 ohms of Susvara and 200 ohm of Lcd4, the same amp if it has 3 watts at 60 ohms, will have less than 1 watt at 200 ohms.
I do not know if you have direct experiences and I would ask you to provide them, for what concerns me, I speak of headphones that I have owned, listened to for a long time and try in various setups.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #32 of 49
when we talk about the driving of a headset, in addition to the efficiency value, we must keep in mind the value of the ohm of the headset, because it is the most determining for the power available to listen and drive a headset.
Considering 60 ohms of Susvara and 200 ohm of Lcd4, the same amp if it has 3 watts at 60 ohms, will have less than 1 watt at 200 ohms.
I do not know if you have direct experiences and I would ask you to provide them, for what concerns me, I speak of headphones that I have owned, listened to for a long time and try in various setups.

Headfonics review, and I have read elsewhere, the Susvara is nearly as low as the HE6 in efficiency. LCD4 way more efficient. I head the Susvara out of the Auris Headonia, and when I plugged in the LCD4 200ohm it was way louder.

Quote from the Heafonics review:
Efficiency
The Susvara is rated at 60Ω at 83dB which is a shade less efficient than the HE6 at 50 ohms and 83.5dB. Much of that has to do with the way the voice coil traces were constructed. The use of 24k gold conductor layer is something Hifiman have look at for years as an ideal way to keep the vibration mass on the nanometer diaphragm to a very low level compared to other materials.

Gold though has a much higher resistance level so simple conductor trace designs were used to keep the ohm rating manageable at 60 ohms. In doing so the efficiency level of the Susvara dropped to HE6 levels.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #33 of 49
There is a close correlation between efficiency and impedance, this because the amplifier reacts differently and often goes into trouble when the ohms are many and the sensitivity is not very high.
Honestly, the reviews leave the time they find, you say something and the next day you find someone who tells you something different.
In a direct comparison Susvara VS Lcd4, with my Viva Egoista, I had to raise the knob with the Lcd4 much more than with the Susvara.
Each amplifier reacts differently to the ohms of the headphones and the efficiency of this, there is not a written rule but only ears to listen.
If you like it and it gives you satisfaction, keep reading the reviews that are out there, but you'll only need to get an idea.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #34 of 49
There is a close correlation between efficiency and impedance, this because the amplifier reacts differently and often goes into trouble when the ohms are many and the sensitivity is not very high.
Honestly, the reviews leave the time they find, you say something and the next day you find someone who tells you something different.
In a direct comparison Susvara VS Lcd4, with my Viva Egoista, I had to raise the knob with the Lcd4 much more than with the Susvara.
Each amplifier reacts differently to the ohms of the headphones and the efficiency of this, there is not a written rule but only ears to listen.
If you like it and it gives you satisfaction, keep reading the reviews that are out there, but you'll only need to get an idea.

You need to update your profile, as you don't say you own the LCD4 and Viva Egoista.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #36 of 49
my profile is updated, the Viva Egoista has been sold and also the Lcd4, the last purchase a marvelous Pioneer SE Master1 that with the Aic-10 Riviera represents a superb top listening!!!
Apologies. I never knew that.

Genus-LCD4-night-web2.jpg

If you are looking for the ultimate headphone amplifier, I would recommend the Aries Cerat Genus:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ult...phone-amplifier-goes-to.898659/#post-14765210

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #38 of 49
I liked the HE1000 v2 a lot I had upgraded from the V1 but the Susvara is a more refined Headphone it isn't a night and day difference but once you hear it its hard to ignore.
At this level that last 5-10% difference gets expensive. Best to compare the 2 headphones yourself to see if its worth the difference in price.

Overall, the HE1000 v2 is more fun because of bigger soundstage and more bass, but the Susvara's better refinement cannot be denied. And yeah, the last 5-10% in Audiophile land is very very very expensive. :p

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #39 of 49
Overall, the HE1000 v2 is more fun because of bigger soundstage and more bass, but the Susvara's better refinement cannot be denied. And yeah, the last 5-10% in Audiophile land is very very very expensive. :p
Did you listen through a speaker amp? Others have posted a major improvement in performance compared to a dedicated less powerful headphone amp. Also, the HEKse is a true upgrade from the HEK v2 and comes even closer to the Susvara according to some reviews. Really hard to decide without side by side comparisons and would be very interested if anyone has done this (HEKse and Susvara connected to a speaker amp via tabs).

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #40 of 49
Did you listen through a speaker amp? Others have posted a major improvement in performance compared to a dedicated less powerful headphone amp. Also, the HEKse is a true upgrade from the HEK v2 and comes even closer to the Susvara according to some reviews. Really hard to decide without side by side comparisons and would be very interested if anyone has done this (HEKse and Susvara connected to a speaker amp via tabs).
I have not yet, but I'll definitely give it a go when I get a chance in the future. Probably won't be using a speaker amp for a long time, but I can certainly get some quality time comparing HE1000se to the Susvara with pinnacle level balanced output headphone amplifiers.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #41 of 49
I have not yet, but I'll definitely give it a go when I get a chance in the future. Probably won't be using a speaker amp for a long time, but I can certainly get some quality time comparing HE1000se to the Susvara with pinnacle level balanced output headphone amplifiers.
Please keep us informed of your impressions. At this price point, the only other flagships that can compete with Susvara is Abyss PHI and STAX SR009S.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #42 of 49
I got rid of my Asus Essence III DAC/AMP. I might replace it with the RME ADI-2 DAC. It's cheaper than the Essence III. The RME is 1k USD while Essence III was approx. 1,6k USD but except it's newer (2018 instead of 2014) I assume it's a much more bang for the buck. The question I got is if the "amp"-section in the ADI-2 would be enough for the Susvara!? The Essence III could handle LCD-4 but not Susvara. So, if somebody even tried this combination I like to know how it sounds too.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #43 of 49
I got rid of my Asus Essence III DAC/AMP. I might replace it with the RME ADI-2 DAC. It's cheaper than the Essence III. The RME is 1k USD while Essence III was approx. 1,6k USD but except it's newer (2018 instead of 2014) I assume it's a much more bang for the buck. The question I got is if the "amp"-section in the ADI-2 would be enough for the Susvara!? The Essence III could handle LCD-4 but not Susvara. So, if somebody even tried this combination I like to know how it sounds too.

No, probably not. You would be better to add a cheap speaker amp and use the ADI-2 as the DAC.

May 3, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #44 of 49

It wouldn't be nowhere near close I'd say.

Check out Brooklyn DAC+ and look for the balanced adapter, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ can totally drive HE6SE, if that's any indicator. You need a special balanced connector that combines its two 6.3mm headphone outputs to a single output that's 6W of power. I simply don't have anything even close to that around, and that really sounds amazing. Did a video, will do a review about it soon. I love the HE6SE + Brookyln DAC+ combo BTW

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #45 of 49
TBH I think GSX-mk2 is not providing enough power to drive susvara. Have you tried Headtrip yet? Might change the head-stage diagram you have there IMO
I am very interested in the head stage comparison between SUSVARA and HEK se comparing HEKse direct from DAVE without amplification and the SUSVARA with more powerful speaker type amp or high powered HP amp like the XI Audio S formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back