Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #3,678 of 4,250
Please be more specific.
500, 6, HEKse. And "watt".

The 500 needs a min of 2 watts @ 50 ohms. The 6 needs a min 4 watts @ 38 ohms. The HEKse I didn't have at home so the power question I can't answer but doubt it's a 1 watt or less. All 3 are very revealing - very - compared to the Sundara. The 500 can be forgiving. The other two are not. Not enough watts they sound bass shy and flat. Meh audio chain? They'll spit like vipers - and show one what is wrong.

Also the HE6se v1 & v2, HEX v2, Ananda not mentioned are all better although 4 watt min for the 6's. The other need less than 1 watt but it had better be quality.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #3,679 of 4,250
Thanks!

It seems that they are upgrading several models to the stealth magnets.

I hope Hifiman will update Sundara but will keep the original headband, the new headband is not comfortable for long listening session (hot spot on head).

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,681 of 4,250
Sounds amazing. I'll keep an eye on them, if I ever come across one in Japan.
In other news, Drop just dropped (sorry) $100 off the price of the Open or Closed Dan Clark's (which are supposedly the R/T - which I reallylike).

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #3,683 of 4,250
In other news, Drop just dropped (sorry) $100 off the price of the Open or Closed Dan Clark's (which are supposedly the R/T - which I reallylike).
Sounds like a good deal. However I'm honestly hesitant to order from Drop, as I've seen some people mentioning their qc issue. I fear it might be too much hasslein case something goes wrong since I'm in Japan.
Good news is, I just realized that a used pair of AFO (not RT) is available for $300 nearby, albeit without any filters. I'll see if I can audition them.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #3,684 of 4,250
Sounds like a good deal. However I'm honestly hesitant to order from Drop, as I've seen some people mentioning their qc issue. I fear it might be too much hasslein case something goes wrong since I'm in Japan.
Good news is, I just realized that a used pair of AFO (not RT) is available for $300 nearby, albeit without any filters. I'll see if I can audition them.
If you want the filters, email the folks at dan clark. Can’t be that expensive…

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #3,685 of 4,250
If you want the filters, email the folks at dan clark. Can’t be that expensive…
So I went to try the Aeon Flow (non-RT), both closed and open. Unfortunately something was 'off' with them... I didn't feel as much 'wow' as I did with Sundara... Maybe they are slightly darker?
The worse news is, my neck still doesn't like the weight of Aeon Flow. Guess I should really see a doctor at this point.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,686 of 4,250
So I went to try the Aeon Flow (non-RT), both closed and open. Unfortunately something was 'off' with them... I didn't feel as much 'wow' as I did with Sundara... Maybe they are slightly darker?
The worse news is, my neck still doesn't like the weight of Aeon Flow. Guess I should really see a doctor at this point.
I’ve never tried the flows, but if these bother your neck, you may wish to see a doc. They’re pretty light…

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #3,687 of 4,250
Plan to try driving the Sundara directly from the speaker outputs of the following:

(1) Wadia 151 PowerDAC mini [25wpc/8ohm]
(2) Bel Canto e.One C5i [60wpc/8ohm]
(3) Wyred4Sound mINT [100wpc/8ohm].

. . . adapter should arrive sometime next week. . .

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3,688 of 4,250
I bought a pair of Sundara for work! Just need to wait for it to arrive.

At the risk of being repetitive, what amp/ dac pairs well with these? Does a dragonfly cobalt have enough juice?

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #3,689 of 4,250
Congratulations!

Personally, I did/do not like the Cobalt with the Sundara; in fact, I did/do not care for the Cobalt at all (and don't think that it is worth the $329.95 MSRP). Would recommend the DF Red or Black, both of which I prefer to the Cobalt, although I don't think any of the DFs have quite enough push to do the Sundara justice.

Am currently running the Dragonfly Black v1.5 (in series with the Jitterbug) as a DAC/pre-amp, with the S.M.S.L. SP200 for the amplifier. Am also using an aftermarket headphone cable, with upgraded interconnects and power cord.

For the money, this is one of the most technically and musically competent, and just plainly enjoyable headphone set-ups I have ever owned/heard--"mid-fi" or otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_190242108.jpg
    IMG_20211116_190242108.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,690 of 4,250
The Sundara--breaking in quite nicely, thank you--and the SP200 are lots of fun to tweak around with and then listen for changes. Have settled on optimal aftermarket footers: RDC 2 cones with RDC bottoming discs. More expansive and transparent than the Herbies Gabon ebony cones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back