Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,376 of 4,250
I was considering something like Loki to try out to shelve some bass to compare with software EQ. I just have a DAC/Amp setup that cannot be replaced with some random one that happens to have bass boost. Everybody got their reasons.
hella understand my guy, if you don't need to mess with mids or treble hardly ever and the 3D sounds more of your lane i'm pretty sure the Zen CAN can run as a balanced preamp same as loki as it has a rear balanced output, anyway I thought about getting the loki too but I was just suggesting bcus I like the thing soooo much

edit- yes it can run as balanced preamp for headphone amp or even powered speakers

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,377 of 4,250
Hi Guys. Currently I have the Hifiman HE 400i 2020's. I want to upgrade to the Sundara's. Do you guys think it will be worth it? I watched a lot of reviewers on YouTube where they compared the two, the Sundara's were always the better one. Btw I use the Fiio K5 Pro that drives the 2020's with ease so that won't be a problem. Whould love to hear your thought on this👍👍

May 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,378 of 4,250
Hi Guys. Currently I have the Hifiman HE 400i 2020's. I want to upgrade to the Sundara's. Do you guys think it will be worth it? I watched a lot of reviewers on YouTube where they compared the two, the Sundara's were always the better one. Btw I use the Fiio K5 Pro that drives the 2020's with ease so that won't be a problem. Whould love to hear your thought on this👍👍
I did the same upgrade myself and am very happy with it. So, if it's in your budget, I would recommend it.

May 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #3,381 of 4,250
HiBy R6 2020 for the DAC and Topping A90 for the amp. No issues driving the Sundara with the Topping, although I don't think the R6 2020 would be powerful enough to properly drive it on its own.
I'm deciding between the Sundara's, Goldplanar GL2000 (double magnet), Beyerdynamic DT 1990 and the Sennheieser HD660s😂😂 I'm leaning towards the Sundys. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,382 of 4,250
I'm deciding between the Sundara's, Goldplanar GL2000 (double magnet), Beyerdynamic DT 1990 and the Sennheieser HD660s😂😂 I'm leaning towards the Sundys. What do you guys think?
I think you’re crazy ! 😄
I have heard all but the goldplanar.
Different beasts IMO. I could not stand 1990 treble (piercing treble that pushes artificial details for me). I like 660s FR but spatial qualities are less than stellar.
I honestly struggle to see what the 660 has over the Sundara.

that’s why I ended up with the Sundys, nothing to hate about them, excel at a lot of things.
Detailed, fast, good soundstage, a lot of space between instruments but presentation still not distant, decent impact when EQed.
Cherry on the cake, they’re the cheapest of the bunch.
his is only my experience, your tastes may be different.

May 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3,383 of 4,250
I think you’re crazy ! 😄
Different beasts IMO. I could not stand 1990 treble (piercing treble that pushes artificial details for me). I like 660s FR but spatial qualities are less than stellar.

that’s why I ended up with the Sundys, nothing to hate about them, excel at a lot of things.
Detailed, fast, good soundstage, a lot of space between instruments but presentation still not distant, decent impact when EQed.
I think the Sundys is the way to go for me. I have the HE 400i 2020 and like the sound of it, so the Sundys will be my best bet

May 9, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,384 of 4,250
Haven't heard the Goldplanar or DT 1990 (I do have some Amiron Homes on the way however) but I own the 660s and Sundaras. I prefer the Sundaras slightly. The 660s are warmer and more forgiving, while having the intimate vocals and presentation of the 600 family. The Sundaras probably do everything else better particularly in regards to soundstage and imaging which is huge for me. They are good compliments to each other however so you may want to consider having both in your arsenal to get different takes on the music as your mood dictates.

I wasn't sure about the specs on the Fiio so I looked it up and it should power either the Sundara or the 660s with power to spare. The main reason I looked it up however was to see if it would adequately power what I'm going to recommend to you as an alternative to either the Sundara or 660s, the DCA Aeon Flow Open X. The Aeon Flow Open X takes the best characteristics of both the 660s and Sundaras and puts it together into one superbly sounding, comfortable, and well built package. I own all three and I prefer the Aeons by a pretty wide margin over both the 660s and Sundaras (and I love both of those phones also).

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #3,385 of 4,250
I think you’re crazy ! 😄

Agree 100% with this.

May 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #3,386 of 4,250
Haven't heard the Goldplanar or DT 1990 (I do have some Amiron Homes on the way however) but I own the 660s and Sundaras. I prefer the Sundaras slightly. The 660s are warmer and more forgiving, while having the intimate vocals and presentation of the 600 family. The Sundaras probably do everything else better particularly in regards to soundstage and imaging which is huge for me. They are good compliments to each other however so you may want to consider having both in your arsenal to get different takes on the music as your mood dictates.

I wasn't sure about the specs on the Fiio so I looked it up and it should power either the Sundara or the 660s with power to spare. The main reason I looked it up however was to see if it would adequately power what I'm going to recommend to you as an alternative to either the Sundara or 660s, the DCA Aeon Flow X. The Aeon Flow X takes the best characteristics of both the 660s and Sundaras and puts it together into one superbly sounding, comfortable, and well built package. I own all three and I prefer the Aeons by a pretty wide margin over both the 660s and Sundaras (and I love both of those phones also).
I don't have the budget to get both😅

May 9, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,387 of 4,250

I wasn't sure about the specs on the Fiio so I looked it up and it should power either the Sundara or the 660s with power to spare. The main reason I looked it up however was to see if it would adequately power what I'm going to recommend to you as an alternative to either the Sundara or 660s, the DCA Aeon Flow X. The Aeon Flow X takes the best characteristics of both the 660s and Sundaras and puts it together into one superbly sounding, comfortable, and well built package. I own all three and I prefer the Aeons by a pretty wide margin over both the 660s and Sundaras (and I love both of those phones also).
That’s interesting. I have the itch for the Aeon after watching several reviews and reading opinions like yours.
what has stopped me until now is some reviewer (think it was resolve but can’t remember for sure) said it was lacking in dynamics and impact, which I value quite high in a HP.
can you share your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #3,388 of 4,250
That’s interesting. I have the itch for the Aron after watching several reviews and reading opinions like yours.
what has stopped me until now is some reviewer (think it was resolve but can’t remember for sure) said it was lacking in dynamics and impact, which I value quite high in a HP.
can you share your thoughts on this?
I don't find them lacking in dynamics and impact at all. There are two things to take in account with the AFO Xs. First they take a bit longer than normal to break in. Second they are a 16 ohm load and thus take a good bit of current to drive properly. I think folks that have complained about this have either not properly broken them in and/or are not driving them with an amp with sufficient current. Granted they don't slam quite like my Argons or a lot of the Focal phones out there. They are on par with both the Sundaras and 660s however and with the right amp (like a Schiit Lyr) have even better dynamics and slam then both of those. I love the AFO Xs and can't recommend them enough.

May 9, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,389 of 4,250
Got a used pair of these on the way as well as a Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+ stack. Will be my first desktop amp and these will also be the best headphones I've ever gotten (got used HD6XX on the way too). Can't wait. Might try the oratory1990 EQ settings like I did with my T2+ and KSC75X. Need to find a desktop PEQ program first though.

May 9, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #3,390 of 4,250
Got a used pair of these on the way as well as a Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+ stack. Will be my first desktop amp and these will also be the best headphones I've ever gotten (got used HD6XX on the way too). Can't wait. Might try the oratory1990 EQ settings like I did with my T2+ and KSC75X. Need to find a desktop PEQ program first though.
APO / Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back