Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #2,133 of 4,250
I am interested in the Hifiman Arya. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to this yet, but it is on my audition list because of how much I like the Sundara.
[/QUOTE

Not comparable imo. Arya much more spacious and alive

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,134 of 4,250
Anyone who owns a Sundara know whether the serial numbers are on the earcups, meaning you have to remove the ear pads in order to see them? If they are on the earcups, are the serial numbers on each cup or just one side?

Thanks.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,135 of 4,250
Anyone who owns a Sundara know whether the serial numbers are on the earcups, meaning you have to remove the ear pads in order to see them? If they are on the earcups, are the serial numbers on each cup or just one side?

Thanks
I changed the pads recently and I do recall seeing numbers on both drivers. Send hifiman an email to be 100% sure. They were quite helpful with my questions.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,136 of 4,250
I changed the pads recently and I do recall seeing numbers on both drivers. Send hifiman an email to be 100% sure. They were quite helpful with my questions.
Nice, thanks for the confirmation.

Mar 8, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #2,137 of 4,250
Today I bought a pair of used Sundara, and I'm absolutely happy with it. Compared to my HD598, Sundara just sounds so natural!
It's notably heavier than HD598, and the clamping is a bit stronger. I'll have to see how that turns out in the long term.
The only thing I don't like about Sundara is its cable that is shorter than ideal and too rubber-ish. A guy from Japan offers hand-made cable for $80-ish, so I might look into that.

Also, just in case anyone has auditioned / is going to audition Sundara at e-earphone Akihabara, Tokyo, beware that the Sundara on display sounds a bit weird imo. The soundstage seems to be off-center and is not as wide as a normal unit would present.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #2,138 of 4,250
Today I bought a pair of used Sundara, and I'm absolutely happy with it. Compared to my HD598, Sundara just sounds so natural!
It's notably heavier than HD598, and the clamping is a bit stronger. I'll have to see how that turns out in the long term.
The only thing I don't like about Sundara is its cable that is shorter than ideal and too rubber-ish. A guy from Japan offers hand-made cable for $80-ish, so I might look into that.

Also, just in case anyone has auditioned / is going to audition Sundara at e-earphone Akihabara, Tokyo, beware that the Sundara on display sounds a bit weird imo. The soundstage seems to be off-center and is not as wide as a normal unit would present.
I have both the Sundara and the HD598, and you’ll never find a more comfy pair of cans than the 598s, the comfort comparison is almost unfair! But the Sundara is pretty darn great. I have gotten a periapt cable (10’, for my normal listening position) and am very happy. Enjoy!

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,139 of 4,250
I like the Sundara as much as any of my other headphones and that's saying something next to ones that cost 2 and 3 times as much. If the Ananda has a similar sound signature as the Sundara with better detail retrieval then that will be my next headphone for sure.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,140 of 4,250
I like the Sundara as much as any of my other headphones and that's saying something next to ones that cost 2 and 3 times as much. If the Ananda has a similar sound signature as the Sundara with better detail retrieval then that will be my next headphone for sure.
Just wondering how they compare to your he400i?

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #2,141 of 4,250
Just wondering how they compare to your he400i?

The Sundara is better than the 400i in just about every way imo. It sounds much better with a more natural detailed sound and the only thing the 400i has on them is a little more bass impact but the Sundara's bass is better in every other way. The mids and highs are more detailed and have a clearer sound all together. I do wish the cups swiveled but it's really not a big deal because the fit just fine.

Hifiman hit a home run with the Sundara and if I had $500 to spend on a headphone I'd buy the Sundara for $350 and use the $150 for say a Dac/amp combo.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,144 of 4,250
@TeamHiFiMAN

If I purchase a sundara from either your website or amazon, Is there anyway to know if we are receiving a unit with properly working drivers? The reason i ask is because back in November 2019, I went through 3 sets of Sundaras, all brought from amazon, all of which had Driver issues (left sided driver lower volume and buzzing). Those were my first and only hifiman purchase and needless to say, I was extremely dissapointed and terrified to buy sundara again

However, I think I am ready to purchase a new set right now but only if theres guarantee that the driver issues are fixed. Please let me know.

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,145 of 4,250
I have the chance to buy this pair for a great price. Is this pair the upgraded version?

sun1.jpg
sun2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back