Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #961 of 4,250
Not highly analytical. But enough where I didn't like wearing them for more than 2 hours. They were more than the HD650 which I was comparing them to.

It was the closest example on my desk to give an example to.

Ok got it. I haven’t heard them yet, but have been keeping up with the impressions thread. Most people say they actually have a lower dip in the upper mid range than the 650.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #962 of 4,250
Tried out the HD800S and HD660S.

The HD800S is again massively wider in soundstage but I'm starting to think it has something to do with the unique fit of the headphones itself, giving it an illusion of more spaciousness. It has less bass than the HD660S and the Sundara but instruments have plenty of air and space to play around with which I attribute to the
super spacious and open soundstage.

Now I understand why bowei006 considered the HD660S analytical. The instruments are slightly more spaced out than the Sundara which allows you to pick out each individual instrument more easily. However, the Sundara renders each instrument with greater resolution and detail. Instruments are more wispy on the HD660S compared to the more textured Sundara. The Sundara is more fatiguing of the two imo due to the hotter treble. The bass of the HD660S thumps harder though the Sundara has better quality. I'd say choosing between the two would be a matter of preference. They aren't really an upgrade from one another.

Wanted to try out the HE1 but it's only for people with booking :'(
IMG_20180408_150413.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #963 of 4,250
After trying and comparing quite a number of headphones previously compared by other members in this thread I have to agree that the Sundara is smooth.

HOWEVER, this smoothness is not the type of smoothness that will smooth over micro details, the Sundara delivers those in spades. The smoothness refers to the frequency response. It doesn't have any annoying spikes so it's smoother in the frequency response, nothing is smooth about the sound. Instruments are very textured and highly detailed. Combine that with a great transient response and you have a very realistic sound.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #964 of 4,250
The HE1000 was the best in my opinion for the A8, has the right effect for the product. I had Stax SR007, it is probably as good in spatial sound if not better, but the problem is the amplification, too weak for action movies. I compared the SR007 with my modded HE400i powered by speaker amps and the HE400i blew them away.

Another problem with the HE1000, is I am reluctant to modify them due to the price. Hifimans can be a bit flimsy and prone to break very easily.

I want to pick up a secondhand pair of Sundara's and modify them like the HE400is, it might just be the middle ground I am looking for.

I had a look at a few of your posts over on the HE400i thread and could not but notice your modded version (only barely recognizable) LOL

Do I see a botch-job repair on broken yokes? :ksc75smile:

Have you done any mods that improve the sound and can you compare it to the Sundara?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-650#post-12893479

9198068_thumb.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #965 of 4,250
LCD XC
More peaky, slightly better instrument separation with similar resolution. A tad deeper soundstage.

Focal Listen
Not as peaky as the XC, loses out in detail. Bass quality is lower. Mid sound hollowed out.
IMG_20180408_162931.jpg

Acoustic Research H1
Significantly more forward sounding, smaller soundstage, doesn't have the crispness. Loses handily to the Sundara. Doesn't have the rumble of the Sundara.
IMG_20180408_164209.jpg

LCD X
Softer sounding edge, not as sharp, textures lose out a bit. Detail and instrument separation are better. Stronger mid bass impact. Depth and imaging are clearer. Lows are more powerful in general. I'd say these are a small upgrade overall over the Sundara despite the big price difference (dammit diminishing returns :frowning2: )
IMG_20180408_170556.jpg

STAX SR-009
Micro texture monster, bass drums sound wierd, everything else sounds grand. Instrument spacing isn't very spacious yet clarity is good. Soundstage is deeper than wide with very good echoes and decays. Sometimes vocals sound like the singers are pinching their noses, very peculiar :/

Very tiring listen
IMG_20180408_170542.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #966 of 4,250
I bought and listened to the Sundara's for exactly 5 mins.
Somewhere between 4:20 and 5:00, the left channel became the right channel, then the right channel died.
So, that is about $100 a minute I paid for them, before I returned them.
And as I was experiencing them for that 4:10 before they imploded due to horrible QC, I thought they sounded a little thin and I noticed the pads are like steel wool painted black.

Love the 560s.

This week I'll receive the Sennheiser HD660s, and get back with you on Wed or Thursday, 4-11 or 4-12 -18 and tell you what you need to know if you are in the market.
Ive waited till now to get these as Tyll despises them, yet Z-Reviews thinks they are phenoms.

-

-

Also, if you have not used my "Test your headphones page" here on the forum, then check out these videos I just recently created and posted on my Youtube channel recently, and follow "Fastguitars" to my Youtube Channel home page and spend a while.
I have created over 100 high Rez Audio videos, mastering (most) of them for audio using high end gear from good sound sources ( when available) , and in general they sound great, and you'll also find there a link to some of the best sounding "high Rez" Youtube videos that are available.
Its a good place to test your phones and probably discover some cool new music, as I post it all genres.

Here are 3 random examples of the music you'll find there that I created as videos
Have a listen and you'll like what you hear:).
Its all about the music, and the videos are just an excuse to get the music online.
You'll find something to like there, I guarantee it, and its a great way to test your headphones and evolve your music appreciation ability.
Enjoy, as you are always welcome there, and dont forget to bump up the videos to their full resolution (for best sound) if this does not happen automatically.

-
-

-
-

-

-

FB1

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #967 of 4,250
I bought and listened to the Sundara's for exactly 5 mins.
Somewhere between 4:20 and 5:00, the left channel became the right channel, then the right channel died.
So, that is about $100 a minute I paid for them, before I returned them.
And as I was experiencing them for that 4:10 before they imploded due to horrible QC, I thought they sounded a little thin and I noticed the pads are like steel wool painted black.

Love the 560s.

This week I'll receive the Sennheiser HD660s, and get back with you on Wed or Thursday, 4-11 or 4-12 -18 and tell you what you need to know if you are in the market.
Ive waited till now to get these as Tyll despises them, yet Z-Reviews thinks they are phenoms.
I'll let you know, soon enough.

FB1

Tyll didn't despise 660s. He marked it with 'stuff we like'. Consensus seems that 660s is not worth $300 premium over 6xx though.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #969 of 4,250
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG
IMG_7029.JPG
IMG_7035.JPG
IMG_7030.JPG
I had a look at a few of your posts over on the HE400i thread and could not but notice your modded version (only barely recognizable) LOL

Do I see a botch-job repair on broken yokes? :ksc75smile:

Have you done any mods that improve the sound and can you compare it to the Sundara?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-650#post-12893479

Oh no you found my old experimental Frankenstein modded HE400i's. I sold those ages ago, but without the headband mod.

I bought another pair of HE400i's about a year later used but like new, finally got the perfect pair without any of the problems I experienced with the previous two pairs I had. First pair had popping sounds in the drivers, very annoying at low volume and the second pair had channel imbalance.

My latest and third pair have been perfect and my mods have improved to my best yet, will post pics if you like.

Mods consist of
A) Black Replacement ear pads cushion For Brainwavz HM5
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-R...658796?hash=item3f8cf2c02c:g:SUwAAOSw43haDV1~
B) Cable upgrade (DIY)
C) Remove black material on grille and earpads
D) Apply anti-vibration blutak like material to inner cup ring

I plan to acquire a used pair of Sundara's and apply the exact same mods, either that or a pair of HE560's. I really want the HE1000 but just don't want to pay for it, too many other things going on, and I wouldn't mod the HE1000's either.

Applying the blutak reduces vibration in the earcups, which enhances the out of head experience with the A8 realiser.
Removing the grille and earcup material creates more air and less harshness, which also enhances the A8 Realiser's ability to render out of head experience.
Finally the thicker cable upgrade and the extra length give better power and dynamics due to less resistance in the signal path, the original cable is very limiting, not just the cable but the flimsy 2.5mm jack connection. Drilled it out and connect direct. This can be noticed especially when used with a powerful amplifier like a 250w speaker amp.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #970 of 4,250
Thanks Chillzone for the info! I am curious to know what you think the HE400i lacks as it appears to have very good mids (but I have never heard it)?

I think the Sundara is good but I am not blown away by it after some serious burn-in time and after the "new toy syndrome" subsides.

It does some things very well but other things I feel my dynamic drivers are better at, I am really looking for an all-rounder as I am a random listener.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #971 of 4,250
I think the Sundara is good but I am not blown away by it after some serious burn-in time and after the "new toy syndrome" subsides.

It does some things very well but other things I feel my dynamic drivers are better at, I am really looking for an all-rounder as I am a random listener.

Dynamic drivers like, say, the DT 1990 Pro? :smiley:

I kid, I kid! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts between the two.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #972 of 4,250
Thanks Chillzone for the info! I am curious to know what you think the HE400i lacks as it appears to have very good mids (but I have never heard it)?

Without power, planar cans lack the slam and attack that dynamic drivers can give, this may come off as polite and lacking. The problem I had with the Stax SR007, was the amplifiers that drive them, and I wasn't going to fork out $6k for the 200w BHSE, when under powered they just can't deliver the attack and slam I needed for action movies with the A8 Realiser. Problem with under powering speakers and headphones, is they cannot fill out the dynamic range at your preferred max volume. I had the same problem with Hifimans being under powered with cheaper amplifiers until I modded them and added speaker amps. Best I had but now sold, was the 250w MF A308CR combo hooked up to the HE400i's.

In order to fully experience music or movies for that matter, all the dynamic range must be produced in full without distortion. This requires amplification that can not only succeed in this area, but do so with ample headroom.

Currently I am using an old iFiCan, which is alright but nothing compared to the detail retrieval, slam, dynamics and attack the MF A308CR had. Adding that speaker amp just brought it up to entry level high fidelity, but not only that but with full dynamics in a planar headphone. I plan to buy another 200-250w high fidelity speaker amp at some point, wanted to hook it up to the HE1000, something like an Ayre. It was really magical to hear and I really miss it a lot.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #974 of 4,250
Would love to read some in depth comparison between the HE400i and the Sundara... Especially with the title of this thread. Not much help... :/ (Big HE400i fan looking with hungry eyes at the Sundara :) )

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #975 of 4,250
Got my sundara second time, worked for an hour and now the sound volume from right channel is lower than left. Complete opposite of what happened last time. This is some sort of sick joke. I think there are only a handful sundaras out there which work, Yaby1979 has one of them! These are going back to Amazon tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back