Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 17, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #3,346 of 4,250
This is the first headphone I've ever had that I haven't had the urge to update, end game for me, still very happy after a year.

Hifiman could have priced these at double the price and people would have been happy the the quality to price ratio.....one thing that interests me though, is if these sound this good at $500 AU then how good do the Arya sound when properly amped?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #3,347 of 4,250
This is the first headphone I've ever had that I haven't had the urge to update, end game for me, still very happy after a year.

Hifiman could have priced these at double the price and people would have been happy the the quality to price ratio.....one thing that interests me though, is if these sound this good at $500 AU then how good do the Arya sound when properly amped?
I agree. Just wish Chord would come out with the Mojo2 already so I can upgrade my amp/dac!

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #3,348 of 4,250

Arya's are endgame for so many people that if you don't like them then it's you not them but in the non-ironic breakup sense. Also "properly amped" can be had for well under $500 you don't need a $1000+ amp for headphones you can get gently used for around $1000 or really to get 99% performance from really any headphone lets be reasonable.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,349 of 4,250
I have the 2018 Sundara's and have honestly barely used them as their bass is to me, less than desirable.
They also sound a bit distant, Albeit they have a very clear top end.

I have not read through this thread in a long time but...Can anyone kindly fill me in on IF there is an upgrade path forward that appreciably improves the 2018 Sundara? Would the only straight forward option to improve bass response etc be pads or?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #3,350 of 4,250
I have the 2018 Sundara's and have honestly barely used them as their bass is to me, less than desirable.

I have not read through this thread in a long time but...Can anyone kindly fill me in on IF there is an upgrade path forward that appreciably improves the 2018 Sundara? Would the only straight forward option to improve bass response etc be pads or?
Audeze LCD 2F, or X, so 1500$ upgrade.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,351 of 4,250

you could just buy the updated sundara all you need are new pads from what I understand.... I would also invest in the Zen CAN the bass boost and 3d both help improve the bass (and it brings sub-bass up specifically for rolled off headphones like sundara) and soundstage respectively

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,352 of 4,250
Audeze LCD 2F, or X, so 1500$ upgrade.
I've listened to both before i got the Sundara. If you're after clean sound, those two will be significant downgrade. If you're just after bass quantity and a dark warm sound they are fine choices.

Of all the planars i've listened to,vs 2018 sundara the LCD-XC was slightly better, Meze emperean like a warmer and slightly bassier version of the sundara and HE-1000v2 sounded more airy but lacked the dynamics of the sundara.

I've heard good things about the HE-6 but i've never gotten the chance to try it.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #3,353 of 4,250

You could buy the updated pads from Hifiman: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/palipad.html

This will turn them into the 2020 or so silent revision Sundara that most reviewers and users agree was a pretty appreciable improvement. Eq also does wonders for the Sundara if you don't mind doing that (many people do). I find the Sundara responds extremely well with eq especially with bass.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,354 of 4,250
You could buy the updated pads from Hifiman: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/palipad.html

This will turn them into the 2020 or so silent revision Sundara that most reviewers and users agree was a pretty appreciable improvement. Eq also does wonders for the Sundara if you don't mind doing that (many people don't). I find the Sundara responds extremely well with eq especially with bass.

Thanks, that sounds like the best option,

Re; the other comments, much appreciated. I still have the 2018 Sundara here ...But will be getting the newer LCD X's soon. Which is why I was thinking if all goes well with the X's & I keep them (which are clearly a darker or softer signature) ...that it might be good to give the Sundara a pad update and have them as an alternate top end voicing option.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,355 of 4,250
That sounds like a good plan! You'll have two different sets of killer planars with different sound signatures.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #3,356 of 4,250

All you really need is a low shelf EQ man, then you get all the good stuff the Sundara has to offer + great bass.

I was underwhelmed by the Sundara until i applied Oratory's EQ and then added a bit more bass, here it is, i highly suggest you give it a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/toi8vyjholngvc2/Hifiman Sundara.pdf?dl=0

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,358 of 4,250
I've listened to both before i got the Sundara. If you're after clean sound, those two will be significant downgrade. If you're just after bass quantity and a dark warm sound they are fine choices.

Of all the planars i've listened to,vs 2018 sundara the LCD-XC was slightly better, Meze emperean like a warmer and slightly bassier version of the sundara and HE-1000v2 sounded more airy but lacked the dynamics of the sundara.

I've heard good things about the HE-6 but i've never gotten the chance to try it.

Intersting. Curious if you've heard the newer version of the LCD X? & think they could still be described as dark & warm. I'll get a pair soon to check out but my guess is they're still somewhat warm, but a bit less dark.

As well if you have the pali pads on your Sundara's that you seem to like quite a bit. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,359 of 4,250
Or Armin’s EQ; it’s a bit simpler, a bit more bass and sounds great to me:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ara-review-headphone.22529/page-4#post-747868
Is that really working? can you eq boost the bass and the sundaras still won't distort? that is what he says, and that guy is serious. Probably planars not just respond well to eq but do need eq always to sound right? audeze need eq too. In any case, can you get the missing bass out of sundaras with eq??? thanks!!

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #3,360 of 4,250
Is that really working? can you eq boost the bass and the sundaras still won't distort? that is what he says, and that guy is serious. Probably planars not just respond well to eq but do need eq always to sound right? audeze need eq too. In any case, can you get the missing bass out of sundaras with eq??? thanks!!
Yep, the Sundara will not distort if you boost the low frequencies, not even a little and not even if you boost by a LOT. And yes you can get all the missing bass and then some more, EQ makes the Sundara the perfect set at least for me, but people still refuse to even try because of that (the way the engineers wanted the sound to be) bulls***.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back