Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #181 of 4,239
Omgosh when is someone going to review these lol?! I want some answers from the guy with the Hugo2. I know that thing transforms headphones and I have a feeling that this semi open headphone with 80% thinner diaphragm probably sounds amazing on it.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #183 of 4,239
I have been hearing they are q bit dark which really isn't my cup of tea. I like Beyerdynamic DT880 out of the old standards for reference. Also I would be worried they would be too much like the M1060. Sounds like Hifiman usually has more going on in the top end.
They are not as dark as people make them seem lol. They have more clarity than the m1060s, which are straight up muddy, but they don't have that he-400i shrilly sounding clarity of the top end either which can get overly bright. You'd enjoy them. To me they were a straight up upgrade of the m1060s.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #184 of 4,239
They are not as dark as people make them seem lol. They have more clarity than the m1060s, which are straight up muddy, but they don't have that he-400i shrilly sounding clarity of the top end either which can get overly bright. You'd enjoy them. To me they were a straight up upgrade of the m1060s.

Woah!? M1060 muddy? You must have a different pair then I got, mibe are easily as detailed as my Beyers.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #187 of 4,239
Wearing the Sundara's right now. Build quality on the Sundara's brings a tear to my eye after recently buying the 400i for my wife and being a little shocked that they were once sold for about $450. I own original HE-400 and would have felt ripped off if I paid $450 for the "i" variant. I can see those plastic yoke joints just snapping some day down the road. Sundara is mostly metal BUT lightweight at the same time. Kind of an industrial build but it works. Something to note is there is NO horizontal swivel on the cup yoke. Fits my head fine but it is something to note and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I'm not going to explain the sound because I'm not so good at the terminology. But they do sound very good for the price point. Maybe not so detailed as mentioned before (in the grand scheme of all headphones), but that's fine, considering the price range.

I'm happy with my purchase. I have several higher end headphones (TH900, HD800s, D7200) but these definitely have a place to be listened to casually alongside my HD650s.

I'll wait for someone to chime in about the sound.

If anyone want's my opinion on what they are VS any of the above headphones, let me know and I'll do my best.

Would be on a Dell USB>Yggdrasil>Loki>Lyr2. Also have a Valhalla2 downstairs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #188 of 4,239
Something to note is there is NO horizontal swivel on the cup yoke. Fits my head fine but it is something to note and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
What, like the Audio-Technica 3D-Wing cans? That's unfortunate, and explains why I've seen comfort complaints.

Well, glad I picked up 560s for clearance price then.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #189 of 4,239
IMG_20180110_140234138_zpsjq6qutqj.jpg

This is what I mean. I suppose I should have said Left to Right Swivel. They do swivel up and down. Just looked at that AT HP and it looks like the opposite to this.

Again It was ZERO problem for me and I've had them on for a few hours now, I don't feel like they are in an unnatural position, but it is different than any other headphone I have. There is SOME play where the metal yoke slides up into the headband so there is some give...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #190 of 4,239
IMG_20180110_140234138_zpsjq6qutqj.jpg

This is what I mean. I suppose I should have said Left to Right Swivel. They do swivel up and down. Just looked at that AT HP and it looks like the opposite to this.

Again It was ZERO problem for me and I've had them on for a few hours now, I don't feel like they are in an unnatural position, but it is different than any other headphone I have. There is SOME play where the metal yoke slides up into the headband so there is some give...

I can see that being a big problem with angled pads

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #191 of 4,239
They come with mildly angled pads. I'd like to think I have an average head shape and I've been listening to them for about 6 hours nonstop and I'm VERY comfortable. The pads are about the same "spongyness" as the HE-400i I have hanging up and about 1/2" as firm as the original HE-400 I've got.

It is honestly not a problem at all for me, and I was worried about it originally. If you are able to test them I might recommend it, but not because they feel odd on my head, but rather to prove that it's probably non-issue.

If I had to rank them I'd say the only more comfortable headphone I own is the Denon D7200. And that is 2x the price. I'd say comfort is a TIE for the HE-400i. HD650 is close after, but only because I think the HD650 squeeze my head harder.

I want to stress that it is something to NOTE, but not necessarily something to hinge a purchase on.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #192 of 4,239
Wearing the Sundara's right now. Build quality on the Sundara's brings a tear to my eye after recently buying the 400i for my wife and being a little shocked that they were once sold for about $450. I own original HE-400 and would have felt ripped off if I paid $450 for the "i" variant. I can see those plastic yoke joints just snapping some day down the road. Sundara is mostly metal BUT lightweight at the same time. Kind of an industrial build but it works. Something to note is there is NO horizontal swivel on the cup yoke. Fits my head fine but it is something to note and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I'm not going to explain the sound because I'm not so good at the terminology. But they do sound very good for the price point. Maybe not so detailed as mentioned before (in the grand scheme of all headphones), but that's fine, considering the price range.

I'm happy with my purchase. I have several higher end headphones (TH900, HD800s, D7200) but these definitely have a place to be listened to casually alongside my HD650s.

I'll wait for someone to chime in about the sound.

If anyone want's my opinion on what they are VS any of the above headphones, let me know and I'll do my best.

Would be on a Dell USB>Yggdrasil>Loki>Lyr2. Also have a Valhalla2 downstairs.

Those plastic yokes are a joke, and they will break. I'd venture to say they'd break if you stared at them too long.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #194 of 4,239
They come with mildly angled pads. I'd like to think I have an average head shape and I've been listening to them for about 6 hours nonstop and I'm VERY comfortable. The pads are about the same "spongyness" as the HE-400i I have hanging up and about 1/2" as firm as the original HE-400 I've got.

It is honestly not a problem at all for me, and I was worried about it originally. If you are able to test them I might recommend it, but not because they feel odd on my head, but rather to prove that it's probably non-issue.

If I had to rank them I'd say the only more comfortable headphone I own is the Denon D7200. And that is 2x the price. I'd say comfort is a TIE for the HE-400i. HD650 is close after, but only because I think the HD650 squeeze my head harder.

I want to stress that it is something to NOTE, but not necessarily something to hinge a purchase on.

Does it flex forward or back at all?

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #195 of 4,239
Can someone comment on a sound comparison between the Sundara and the original HE 400 (not! the 400i or 400s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back