HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,218 of 1,984
With Andriod O round the corner, HWA will be introduced to Andriod and from what I've heard, BT feature of R2R2K is not a gimmick .
Those with Huawei phone can try it, it really sound as good as on board storage.

Issue is you really need to be near your BT source, less than 1 meter and the battery life with BT is not good. 3-4 hours max on Hifi, 4.4mm balance out.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,219 of 1,984
I just understood that Android 10 and p30 pro needs an app tweak to use Hwa with the r2r2000 it is not natively working and that a bit sad because the hifiman app is not really good for Tidal a'd the other apps like DA&T audio doesn't work with Tidal...

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,221 of 1,984
OK. This R2R 2000 red is a really excellent performer but it sounds super analog. If you want to compare it will be something like ak240 redwine or hm-801...basses are really heavy mids are fleshy and highs are very smooth, round.

This is a very unique sound signature on the market today.

In short it will match with iems or headphones who need a bass boost or less sparkle in highs. Absolutely not what I need with M5 haha

The design is super super cool this is amazingly small light and powerful. The building quality is excellent.

In bt hi rez there is no difference with wired sound. Actually on mqa I found the bt sound slightly better than with the cable. Problem is Hwa r2r2000 is not natively working on p30 pro it works on p20 pro natively but not on p30 because Hwa is 1.0 on the R2R and doesn't work with Hwa 2.0 of the p30 pro... Hifiman doesn't give a f. U. C. K about that and 'ever update the Hwa version on the R2R...

For me it's a excellent value even as a USB android Dac or bt dongle if your iems love its sound.

I would certainly not buy the black as far as it is too expensive for what it is. The red is a quiet good price performance ratio.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,222 of 1,984
OK. This R2R 2000 red is a really excellent performer but it sounds super analog. If you want to compare it will be something like ak240 redwine or hm-801...basses are really heavy mids are fleshy and highs are very smooth, round.

In short it will match with iems or headphones who need a bass boost or less sparkle in highs. Absolutely not what I need with M5 haha

The design is super super cool this is amazingly small light and powerful. The building quality is excellent.

In bt hi rez there is no difference with wired sound. Actually on mqa I found the bt sound slightly better than with the cable. Problem is Hwa r2r2000 is not natively working on p30 pro it works on p20 pro natively but not on p30 because Hwa is 1.0 on the R2R and doesn't work with Hwa 2.0 of the p30 pro... Hifiman doesn't give a f. U. C. K about that and 'ever update the Hwa version on the R2R...

For me it's a excellent value even as a USB android Dac or bt dongle if your iems love its sound.

I would certainly not buy the black as far as it is too expensive for what it is. The red is a quiet good price performance ratio.
Super analog sounding is like overly warm with rolled off highs or like vinyl which is bass shy or like live performance which is analog in real sense ?

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,223 of 1,984

Its all about the sound.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,224 of 1,984
Super analog sounding is like overly warm with rolled off highs or like vinyl which is bass shy or like live performance which is analog in real sense ?
I hope he means by super analog a timber perfect playback with real sense. The dap has very fast transients, so if you listen to something like speed metal sound can be very aggressive exactly were it’s needed. I think sound wise r2r2k red is the best price/performance ratio dap. If you choose the right iems it could sound better then TOTL daps.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #1,226 of 1,984
Tested this morning with se5ref and it's better still quiet analog but with k10 it's definitely great and sounds less analog with sparkle in high and less bass impact.

I think this dap can radically sound different depending on the iems... If you have a match it's really high level.

I think it is all about impedance...M5 are hyper low impedance 6.8ohm...so it sounds overshooted.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,228 of 1,984
Yes.
After testing it again and again I would say it's a chameleon dap.

Can sound super analog with some iems or super clean modern with others.

With se5 ref it was hard to tell the difference with sp1000 + amp... With the Earsonics grâce it's a total analog match win make me fell I should buy grace iems...

Really this dap is one of a kind.

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,229 of 1,984
for me R2R2K was too much of raw sounding DAPs with sharp edges which was rather unbearably fatiguing to listen on some IEMs like U18.
I got the perfection only when I matched with Leo 2 cable with Solaris. Excellent sounding dap indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back