1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last
  1. Tawek
    I see that you also have
    nwz x1061 for me is an amazing dap
    I also have wm1z and do not think with 1z is such a huge upgrade compared to x1061 obviously 1z is generally much more powerful and technically better, but I still think x1061 is more innovative dap, after all, is already over 9 years old, and the size is unbeatable. for this I really want r2r2000 sizes reminds me of x1061 :)

dhc0329 likes this.
  2. dhc0329
    Yeah, x1061 is the player I used longest exclusively. It is so compact and sounds awesome for its price.
    This one still sound best with MDR-Z1R.

quantumrush and Tawek like this.
  3. David Kleinfeld
    Hi All,

Just wanted to provide a quick update on comparing NW-WM1Z vs R2R2K on sound quality having reached a bit more than 400 hours of play time on my 1Z which I used more than R2R2K mainly because it's easier to operate with a large library.

The sound on the 1Z has improved over time being overall very smooth and relaxing for long listening sessions.

That being said and using on both devices with Solaris and the same cable (Alo gold 16), R2R2K continues to impress me most and not by a small margin.

R2R2K is just much more realistic and natural in the way it renders music which is really immersive.

I can work and listen to 1Z at the same time (which is why I spend more time on it), but I cannot do the same with R2R2K because it's simply too hard to focus on anything else than the music with it.

Just for the pure quality of its sound, I do not regret getting the R2R2K.

Yes the battery is a disappointment considering the huge gap between HFM's claims and actual play time but in practice I very seldom listen to music for more than 1 to 2 hours in a row and for long distance trips e.g. in plane it's always very easy to charge the device on USB.

As such the biggest flaw continues to be the interface and the lack of physical buttons but to echo what Audionewbi said, it is the kind of device that you can use on the go mainly to play and enjoy your favourite albums. Or else you can also use it combined with a more user-friendly player or laptop as source and the quality of the sound will not be lesser.

Cheers

DK

4. dhc0329
    Thanks for sharing your impression on r2r2k. Regarding gold 16 cable can you tell me how thick the cable is as compared to average 8x wire cables like janus d?

quantumrush likes this.
  5. David Kleinfeld
    Unless I am mistaken Alo 16 is thinner but cannot be sure as I do not have Janus with me. Here are a few pics comparing the 16 to super litz of Alo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus :

[​IMG]

dhc0329 likes this.
  6. twister6 Contributor
    You are OK with a hefty hissing level of Andro and Solaris on R2R2k?

7. David Kleinfeld
    Well yes to be honest because at the volume I am listening to, I simply don't notice it so much even if it is here.

I must say I do not listen so much anymore to Andro with R2R2K because I think the combo is a bit too dry or sharp to my taste.

And the presentation is so lively in comparison to 1Z especially on voices that I would rather trade off a little bit of black background.

My pioneer DAP that costs 4 to 5 times less than both 1Z and R2R2K has no hiss whatsoever but does it sounds entertaining or interesting in comparison ? not really.

[EDIT : I should add that it's not a question of power, if i listen to the various DAPs through my WA8 in Analogue mode, the difference in sound signature is still significant]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  8. dhc0329
    Thanks! this helps me a lot. Unfortunately, this appears to be a little thicker than how I would have liked it. I guess I will just have to be content with Leo II for a while.
    The cable looks soft though. To me CA IEMs are drier than other brands I tried but Solaris still sounds fabulous on R2R2K. It's the best combo I found.

quantumrush likes this.
  9. dhc0329

I decided to try out gold16 + solaris + r2r2k. How did this cable compare to stock cable or any other cables on r2rk solaris combo?

quantumrush likes this.
  10. David Kleinfeld
    Hello,

Compared to Super Litz, the Gold 16 with R2R2K and Solaris is warmer, smoother and provides more extended bass (without being overpowering), fuller bodied sound and perhaps (but this is not obvious) slightly wider stage. There is no loss in details but the separation is maybe less perceivable sometimes due to the more present bass. Overall I found Gold 16 more enjoyable because the sound with super litz may be a bit piercing to my ears at times.I would say the Gold 16 is more suitable for music of seventies and eighties or even Jazz but for classic I would use another cable.

I only compared it to two others cables, the first of which is taylor-made pure copper which I would consider to be an intermediate value between super litz and gold 16 with slightly more clarity and less bass than the latter.

The last cable I tried with Solaris on R2R2K is the labkable titan ag which is very neutral and to my ears delivers more micro details than Alo cables including gold 16. I am not sure though if it would not be a fatiguing on the long term though but otherwise very impressive cable.

DK

11. dhc0329
    Thanks for your feedback. I had the similar experience with slitz with some songs I listened to having emphasis on higher frequencies.
    I am a little concerned with the possible reduction in resolution (as compared to leo II) but overall presentation is important to me, so it sounds promising based
    on what you stated.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    quantumrush likes this.
  12. dhc0329
    To my surprise the cable doesn't feel thick at all but still has some microphonic. Not as bad as Ref 8 but there is a noticeable level of microphonics.
    Too early to tell but compared to leo 2 this cable sounds a little too forward (sense of 'boxed-in' feeling) although not necessarily congested.
    It took away some treble energy used to have with leo 2 on r2rk. Definitely not as holographic as leo 2 while providing bigger bass slam.

quantumrush likes this.
  13. twister6 Contributor
    I don't know for sure how R2R2k sounds and if it's a bright source, but to be honest, if you have IEMs which sound bright/harsh in pair up with this DAP, I don't think cable is going to help if you are expecting a drastic eq-like change (though the latest Dita Oslo could be an exception). Maybe you just need to look for IEMs with a different signature to pair up with R2R2k? Do you find everything to sound bright with R2R2k, even Mellianus?

14. dhc0329
    No, r2rk sounds perfect with solaris and leo 2 but just being me who's getting easily bored, wanted to test out something new like gold 16. So far I am not too impressed, but I am hoping some burning will change my mind.

I ordered Truth cable once but cancelled because of bulky interconnect parts.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    quantumrush likes this.
  15. audionewbi
    Has anyone tried the JH Layla with R2R2K?

First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last