HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #481 of 1,984
I was looking forward to hear R2R2k at CanJam NYC yesterday, but unfortunately the unit I tried only had a few classic rock songs which I'm not familiar with to judge the sound, and whenever I tried to scan to see what other songs are loaded in there, it was telling me there are no songs found. I had my own uSD with me, but I didn't have that pocker tool to open the flash card tray and they didn't have one at the table. It's a cute small device, with a rather buggy fw based on the unit I tested at the show and as other mentioned - a rather 10-year old type of interface. Most of the display screen is non-touch, you only have a few navigation touch buttons at the bottom (the unit I tested had poor touch sensitivity). Also, there is no hw play button, at least I didn't see one.

I might ask for a loaner to spend more time with it, just to figure out the sound with tracks I'm familiar with. Otherwise without a proper sound evaluation I don't know what to make out of this...

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #482 of 1,984
I was looking forward to hear R2R2k at CanJam NYC yesterday, but unfortunately the unit I tried only had a few classic rock songs which I'm not familiar with to judge the sound, and whenever I tried to scan to see what other songs are loaded in there, it was telling me there are no songs found. I had my own uSD with me, but I didn't have that pocker tool to open the flash card tray and they didn't have one at the table. It's a cute small device, with a rather buggy fw based on the unit I tested at the show and as other mentioned - a rather 10-year old type of interface. Most of the display screen is non-touch, you only have a few navigation touch buttons at the bottom (the unit I tested had poor touch sensitivity). Also, there is no hw play button, at least I didn't see one.

I might ask for a loaner to spend more time with it, just to figure out the sound with tracks I'm familiar with. Otherwise without a proper sound evaluation I don't know what to make out of this...

I thought all of their units had Joss’s playlist on the SD card, which has a wide variety of lossless music.

You could have tried it via Bluetooth with your own music.

A bulletin board pushpin or small paperclip also works as a Sim card ejector to get the SD card out. Or if it’s not too late you can ask them to connect the unit to a computer via USB-C

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #483 of 1,984
I had the same trouble getting the basic function to operate properly in the beginning but once get used to it
you would know how to maneuver through. I am afraid HFM not being really ready to present this device at the show
kinda suggests there may not be serious effort in making this to work. Not sure how long they will continue with the firmware
update. Their mobile app hasn't been updated since its first release with the basic nomadic features.
No doubt this device has a great potential but they are just not capitalizing it...or just not able to.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #484 of 1,984
As I'm spending more time with R2R2K i can say that the pentaconn connection and 3.5mm balance sound different, I find the 3.5mm balance to be the more musical sounding, quieter.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #486 of 1,984
As I'm spending more time with R2R2K i can say that the pentaconn connection and 3.5mm balance sound different, I find the 3.5mm balance to be the more musical sounding, quieter.

I assume with iems, right? Didn't see the spec, but balanced output probably has higher power here, perhaps more appropriate for demanding cans rather then iems (hfm megamini was the same story).

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #487 of 1,984
I assume with iems, right? Didn't see the spec, but balanced output probably has higher power here, perhaps more appropriate for demanding cans rather then iems (hfm megamini was the same story).
Perhaps, I’m currently using the lowest gain setting, sacrificing bass for complete quiet background.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #488 of 1,984
Usually improvement over different choice of cable is not easy to perceive but this time I could surely feel the difference
between super litz 4.4mm and leo II on solaris and r2r2k combo. Relatively small sound stage was a concern for me with r2r2k
but leo 2 really opened up side way. Now more holographic than ever with eerie instrument separation. I tried multiple
iems on r2r2k for best synergy but this could be it.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #489 of 1,984
Has anyone tested with 512GB sd card on this device? The HFM website states it can only support up to 256GB
but I am currently using 400GB so you can't really tell until you test it. Wonder what would be the max number of songs
this device will detect.

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #490 of 1,984
I had the 400 gb card and went back to 128Gb as I found navigation to be a pain. This dap is really for loading your favourite albums and enjoying them, it isn't really for mass transportation of your music, IMO.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #491 of 1,984
I’m still mostly using it as a USB jack amp for my MacBook, or via Bluetooth with my iPhone.

I have a 64 GB memory card in it with my favorite music, but because I’d have to rename all my song files that I dragged over from iTunes to add a the song number at the beginning, I could never convert my whole library for this.

It’s just easier to use iTunes on the MacBook or iPhone to control my music.

However it’s worth it, because it just sounds so good with all my Westone and JH Audio IEM, and not just good with my Edition-X or HE-1000se or V1, but also my HD800 and HD600. It’s amazing how good something this small can sound, that I rarely use my $8000 desktop headphone rig.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #492 of 1,984
I'm utterly fallen in love with my old music. I could have never believed a player of this size could bring about such much joy to me. It totally makes me forget my Hugo and mojo.

If only I could get a chord mojo+poly concept with pcm R2r2000 sound......

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #493 of 1,984
HFM came back to my inquiry stating that they could only officially support up to 256GB with max songs
upload of about 5888. A little disappointed but I could probably work with it. I agree on sound quality
of this device. While my N8 provides the very moisturous, organic warmth, r2r2k gives me joy of pure, unfiltered
sparkle for every genres. I never get bored between these two devices having a major contrast.

20190227_072244.jpg

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #494 of 1,984
I’m still mostly using it as a USB jack amp for my MacBook, or via Bluetooth with my iPhone.

I have a 64 GB memory card in it with my favorite music, but because I’d have to rename all my song files that I dragged over from iTunes to add a the song number at the beginning, I could never convert my whole library for this.

It’s just easier to use iTunes on the MacBook or iPhone to control my music.

However it’s worth it, because it just sounds so good with all my Westone and JH Audio IEM, and not just good with my Edition-X or HE-1000se or V1, but also my HD800 and HD600. It’s amazing how good something this small can sound, that I rarely use my $8000 desktop headphone rig.
I'd be curious to hear about the $8,000 rig this seems to trump.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #495 of 1,984
I'd be curious to hear about the $8,000 rig this seems to trump.

I’m not saying it blows away an $8K rig so much a s it’s just so much more convenient to use the R2R2K instead of my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC Mk2 with Eddie Current ZDT amp with upgraded tubes and partial Silver transformers and Nuforce CDP, with ALO audio interconnects and upgraded power cable, etc.

I can sit in my La-Z-Boy chair, with my MacBook Pro and R2R2K to listen to my HE-1000se, and enjoy it 98% as much as with my big rig. If I need to move into the kitchen or my bedroom I can just pick it up and take it with me without losing a beat.

Even better, I have 64 GB of lossless music on an SD card, so I can leave the MacBook Pro behind as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back