1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last
  1. David Kleinfeld
    I guess preferably it should be 4.4 to 4.4. cable and using the line in mode in the WA11.

2. audionewbi
    There are things not right with r2r2k but one things undoubtedly right about it is it’s sound.

I have a new reference sound, notice I didn’t say dap as it isn’t quiet there yet. But sound is undoubtedly the best I’ve heard. No fatiguing and Lossy BT streaming rivals so many so call lossless daps.

I hope some manufacturers revives r2r chips, why has this been stopped?

3. HeadphoneAddict Contributor
    I would like to know the same thing, as sound quality from the R2R2K is out of this world. Fang was brilliant to buy up the last of the worlds supply of these chips.

I’ve pretty much stopped using all of my other USB DACs with my MacBook Pro since I got this device. The only time I use by Centrance BlueDAC is when I need an ultralight Bluetooth DAC with my iPhone, even though it’s not quite as good it’s still very enjoyable

But it’s not just the R2R2K DAC that sounds phenomenal - it’s the built-in amp and it’s ability to drive the HE-1000se, RE2000, and any of my Westtone and JH audio in ear monitors like it was made just for them.

Even with lossie Bluetooth straight from the iPhone, not using their app, it’s the best BT I’ve heard, rivaling wired.

I’ve been so happy with the sound that I’ve been reluctant to update the firmware again, after going back to the version that came with it at CanJam 2018 last October. The last time I had updated, some of the features for selecting the output options for the line out had disappeared, and I wonder if those have been brought back in the latest firmware?

I will probably update it and check out the latest firmware, since I could always go back if I need to. If the Bluetooth audio wasn’t so good I would probably be more invested in the firmware for using it as a stand-alone digital audio player.

audionewbi likes this.
  4. gr8soundz
    Imo, R2R's near death is from too many consumers and manufacturers getting lazy. It's much easier and cheaper to produce products with off-shelf DS chips. Plus those products will 'measure' better and consumers who shop by numbers (instead of by ear) are convinced said products must be better.

It's similar to how audio is still recovering from downsides of the mp3 era. We're still fighting to get back lossless audio across the board. If consumers were ok with up to 90% of 'inaudible' data being removed from their music then who will complain about chips that process (then heavily oversample) only the Most Significant 1-Bit of data?

Now, with barely a handful of portable R2R products available, most people have no idea they still exist. Then there's the stigma that older tech isn't as good when in fact, especially with certain audio gear, the opposite is true. Finally, like the R2R2000, some R2R gear is priced far too high which is another issue in modern audio: pricing......

audionewbi likes this.
  5. HeadphoneAddict Contributor
    I guess that makes sense, although I’ve never been that person to buy strictly by the numbers. I almost never buy anything that I’ve never heard first.

6. audionewbi
    9E9711E2-FAA2-48DE-AC8F-0A28E421D1F1.jpeg So happy, who would have thought it can change my listening experience so much.

gr8soundz likes this.
  7. audionewbi
    BT sounds to me considerably better than the onboard SD.

8. noplsestar
    ah ... is that even possible?

514077 likes this.
  9. audionewbi
    I asked myself “how can this be possible?” So many times.

10. noplsestar
    Hifiman will be exhibiting at Can Jam NY, right? Can anyone (@twister6?) listen to this little beast and give us some impressions?

11. tjxism
    I’ve sold my R2R2000 and I’m regretting it everyday (staying with my SPKM since the divorce). That’s how good it sounds.

Why I sold my R2R2k in the first place? The firmware is so buggy. I tried using it as dap, through Bluetooth and as DAC with my iPhone, but the device reboots every 1 hour or so no matter which mode I put it in. The battery can’t last a day’s use. There’s audible hissing with most sensitive BA iems.

The SPKM isn’t bad. I thought I’ll forget the sound of R2R2k eventually, but I was wrong. I’m getting a another R2R2K.

noplsestar likes this.
  12. Brooko Contributor
    Think player UI from 10 years ago, with very few features, no touch screen, limited to ~6000 tracks etc. And yes - the firmware is buggy (incomplete)

But the sound is the best I've heard from any player.

13. noplsestar
    What does that exactly mean that it reboots every 1 hour?

I know (more or less) about the problems of the R2R, but am still interested because of the sound. The thing is, I don’t have a problem with „difficult“ DAPs as my go to DAP is the Calyx M, which I bought because of the sound only, and it has multiple problems :wink:
    That’s why I‘d like to listen to the R2R (or at least read a review of a known reviewer). Sound is what matters for me.

Edit: you haven’t reviewed it, have you?

14. tjxism
    It reboots/freezes/turns off on its own.

15. noplsestar
    sexy

First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last