1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. justrest
    @dhc0329 When you receive the R2R2000 please share some impression.

2. dhc0329
    I was going to submit my mini review of R2R2000 but am having some difficulties with the device I just got.
    I am flashing back with the previous firmware to see if it can boot up properly.

quantumrush likes this.
  3. dhc0329
    A question for R2R2000 owners...are you able to boot the device properly after sleep and/or power off state with the latest 1.9 firmware?

quantumrush likes this.
  4. HeadphoneAddict Contributor
    Yes. No power or sleep issues at all.

But I have not checked for any newer firmware since my review last week. If one was released since then I haven’t tried it, having only tried the late September revision of 1.9 and the late November revision of 1.9 (two v1.9 with different dates).

I think that if you have a problem with your memory card, that it might affect the power on off, or sleep mode. So have you tried it without a memory card, or tried with a freshly formatted card?

5. David Kleinfeld
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share few pics of my portable rig, made a few improvements including new Danacable Lazuli Reference for the utopias and campfire solaris + alo audio gold 16 for daily commuting.

The Danacable have been reviewed already, they deliver a much better sound that stock focal cable and the quality is very impressive.

Solaris is a great pairing with the R2R2000, the andromedas comparatively sound veiled to me... The Alo 16 is great also, makes the sound feels very fast, detailed but maybe a bit dry and could be more fatiguing on the long run.

I still need to spend more time with it to appreciate it more.

Cheers.

PS : when plugged on the Pioneer, the R2R2000 actually is charging itself. Starting with both the battery of the Pioneer and R2R2000 being full the rig itself can last up to 7.5 hours in Hifi Mode for me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    justrest likes this.
  6. twister6 Contributor
    Since you are testing it with Andro and Solaris, how is the hissing? I'm especially curious when you hit the play and turn the volume down to zero, to hear the noise floor of R2R2k.

7. David Kleinfeld
    When the volume is down to zero, there is perceptible noise with both Andro and Solaris, I would say slightly more on the Solaris but the difference is really hard to tell. It does not bother me much as I do not notice it during playing time at the volume level I use especially when i am on the move. At home I would generally use R2R2000 combined with WA8 Eclipse in line in mode and there is no noise at all with it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. Lunatic
    I've used Sandisk 64/128/200/256/400GB cards on the R2R2000 without any issues.

noplsestar likes this.
  9. David Kleinfeld
    Hi All,
    Just bought NW-WM1Z and tried to connect it in BT to R2R2000.

I selected the LDAC as sound quality preferred option in the NW-WM1Z. I am not sure if LDAC is actually used to transmit the data but so far it worked very well except for the fact, that the volume of R2R2000 cannot be controlled remotely (whereas it could using android devices) .

I am far from having completed the burn in period of the Z but having spent more time comparing both my view is that whereas the sound of the Z may be considered more refined , the R2R2000's sound is more lively and immersive, even using the Z as a source in BT mode.

Also wanted to report that having updated the firmware of R2R2000 few times, now being running the latest version UI2018-12-21 V1.9 beta, the UI is no longer behaving in a sluggish manner. This is really helping a lot in using the dap as stand-alone device. There is no longer Eco mode as an option (only Hifi is left) and the way the user may configure output ports has been updated to be more reliable.
    [​IMG]

DK

10. denis1976
    The 1Z needs to burn in to make comparisons, mine is on almost 500 hours and is way better then it was on 200, the last firmware is fantastic too the 3.01

David Kleinfeld likes this.
  11. dhc0329
    Anyone able to connect r2r2k to hibymusic app client? I am currently waiting on HFM for a replacement device but I was not able to connect it before.
    HFM seems to stand behind their product, which I appreciate!

quantumrush likes this.
  12. DarginMahkum
    I am in the market for a new (wireless) DAC/Dap and just realised that there is activity here - which I thought to be dead. I was eyeing the Cayin N8 but this also looks very interesting. Just wanted to ask you:

- How is the battery life? (Edit: OK, got the answer)
    - What about this LHDC? Is there a possibility that this will be supported by main stream Android phones? Or is there a possibility that the R2R2000 will implement LDAC?
    - What about the output power, for example, compared to SP1000 or even better N8? Can it properly drive, for example, LCD4 or HD800 SE?
    - Is it closer to Hugo2 or warmer devices? How is the sound quality?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. David Kleinfeld
    Hi,

Few thoughts quickly :
    - LHDC : I tried it with various sources including poorly performing Sony phones and the quality of the output on R2R2000 is always excellent. I also tried it with a NW-WM1Z as source set in LDAC mode and again, the quality was great. My guess is that it is not so much the signal which it receives but more the way it processes it which impacts the quality of the audio output ;
    - I cannot speak for LCD4 or HD800SE but i have tried it with Utopias and Final D8000, Utopias even if you use super low gain you may use only half of the power available whereas D8000 I use approx 70% of the power to listen at loud level. Comparing the D8000 on both R2R2000 and SP1000 i would say R2R2000 has more powerful output.
    - it is closer to warmer devices, sound quality is excellent but it does not mean that it sounds as well tempered as other TOTL DAP or portable DACs. It's the kind of device you may want to try several times before buying it because whereas the sound may be perceived as more lively and natural than other daps (including lpgt or SP1000) the sound can also feel less controlled or clean, which may be even more perceivable on sensitive iems due to the level of floor noise.

noplsestar and DarginMahkum like this.
  14. DarginMahkum
    Thank you for all the info. That's interesting that LDAC works. For having the LDAC label, it needs to go through a long authentication process from Sony. Possibility is it is implemented but not certified by Sony yet.

15. David Kleinfeld
    Frankly I am not sure if it can be said that LDAC works but it is a fact that R2R2000 can receive signal from the Sony while the Sony is configured in LDAC and that the sound is very good. Is it because of LDAC or again because of how the R2R2000 generally works, I cannot say honestly. At the end of the day, you would need to try it to judge by yourself.

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last