1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last
  1. Whitigir

Does he follow and believe int “it sounds good” ?

Thanks for the good picture, any impressions ?

2. musicday
    Sound was smooth, detailed, organic. Similar type as the Tera Player but not quite. Plenty of power to drive HE1000.
    Firmware was ok, but not stable. When selected HIFI mode battery life if around 8 hours.
    Many things were missing such as the contrast for the screen. Nice size, very portable, but expensive.
    20180721_171324.jpg

hqssui and Whitigir like this.
  3. noplsestar
    So it isn´t even possible to show the album art?

4. jasonho
    art?no way. I believe this is a self developed OS that has very small footprint.

noplsestar likes this.
  5. musicday
    What you see in the above photo is what is shown in the playing mode. So no album art. The screen is OLED, similar to the one on Clip+ but one colour instead of two.

noplsestar likes this.
  6. KT66
    I don't mind the lack of colours or artwork etc, I appreciate that getting the sound right is priority number one, but if you are
    going to have a text only screen at least get the layout right, fonts consistant etc. It can look better, at the moment this reminds me of
    a Hisound Nova dap or a Commodore 64. I get this is aimed at the no frills Terra customer, but just how big is that dap market?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  7. Lunatic
    R2R2000's 3.5mm output can be set to single-ended or balanced mode via a menu setting.

SteveOliver likes this.
  8. bayan
    I was excited to get this. The interface/usability limitations are a dealbreaker though. Looks like I'll be waiting for a better interface R2R dap

9. Cagin
    I've got a good amount to feedback to give on this DAP once I get back home today
    ps: I loved its sound tremendously. and its interface is tremendously stupid too

flinkenick likes this.
  10. musicday
    Tell me that you bought it, or you will:)

11. jwbrent
    Agreed. For $2,500, the UI should be consistent. Reminds me when I owned a Colorfly C4 Pro ... great sound, horrible UI and lack of expected functionality, e.g., 16 bit FLAC support only.

I don’t mind a utilitarian display and interface as long as it’s professionally done. I’m more interested in how it sounds.

Firmware upgrade should take care of the UI anomalies.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  12. bflat
    Very interesting DAP. How does it manage operating temperature stabilization? Every R2R DAC I've considered or owned requires hours if not days to reach stable temp and once it does, it is a no-no to power off. My experience is 100% desktop DACs though. It is my understanding that R2R does not suffer from jitter like DS, but temperature fluctuations cause distortion for R2R.

As @Mimouille mentioned the "raw" sound impression. That's similar to what went through my head when I first listened to my current R2R DAC and would love to have the same in a small portable package.

13. gr8soundz
    I was wondering the same.

My dac1101 (resistor ladder; transportable) needs a couple hours warm-up but not sure about a portable with old R2R chips.

Was hoping to find out for myself but the R2R2000's price is prohibitive. Searching for other options but not many choices (Tera Player?) and seems no affordable R2R DAPs exist.

14. musicday
    I don't know about R2R DACs but Tera Player stays cold no how long you use it 10--15 hours non stop.The old Hifiman 801 used R2R right? The choice for such portable music players is very limited.

15. bflat
    The temp question is not about how hot/cool it runs, but rather keeping the R2R DAC chips at a constant temp while in operation. Resistors value changes with temps changes (e.g. drift) and even minute changes in resistor value for an R2R ladder have negative impact on digital to analog conversion. Perhaps the TI integrated chip compensates temperature changes but it would be good to know for sure since portable use will have a pretty wide and frequent change in operating temps.

gr8soundz likes this.
First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last