Hifiman RE272: Review
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #121 of 273
Quote:

You reversed the last 3, I'm implying the RE272 has the most aenemia, the ck10 has the most sibilance, and the ck10 has the most stridency.

Musicality is not "totally subjective", it might be more subjective than most other variables, but a lot of people will agree on which IEM's are more musical and less musical than others.

I stopped listening to the RE0 and sold it for $35 because it's the most garbage hyped IEM on head-fi.

So what are the objective factors that necessarily makes an IEM more or less musical then in your opinion?

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #122 of 273
  Not necessarily. That statement is far too broad to be true. There are specific frequencies some may find more musical when accented while others may not. For everything you can perhaps get a concensus on certain things, but it really doesn't make the others "wrong" on liking other less popular signatures/frequency accentuations and finding them more musical. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #124 of 273
waiting a pair of e-q5 to copliment my 272

anyone here who has/had both these IEMs ?

Impressions ?

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #125 of 273
I had the 272's not too long ago, but for a rather short duration. I also just recently got the e-Q5's, and e-Q7's for that matter. All I can say at this point is that the Ortofon's grew on me instantly, while the 272 didn't 
eek.gif
 me to the same extent, though I'm not biased against either and think they're both exceptional in-ears. I'd do a comparison for you my friend, but it may be some time before I get my 272's back. When I do, I'll do a comparison since I sure as hell don't intend to get rid of my beloved Ortofon's! 
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #126 of 273
Quote:
waiting a pair of e-q5 to copliment my 272
anyone here who has/had both these IEMs ?
Impressions ?

I owned both. I have the RE272 now. I don't think I will get the e-Q5 again. I personally prefer the former, although they are both great. They are both quite balanced and neutral. I think e-Q5 has a slight edge in lower treble, where it has a sharper sound and better presence than the RE272, which sounds softer and somewhat recessed in this region by comparison. RE272, on the other hand, has more presence in the upper mids and upper highs. e-Q5 has more edge to it - it sounds more agressive with faster attack than RE272, but is never harsh. RE272 gives softer, more rounded edges to sounds. I guess you could say e-Q5 has faster attack.

The bass is fairly similar on these two IEMs I think. Not much impact on either, but very linear and detailed lows that extend deep. I feel that RE272 has an edge over the e-Q5 in bass realism though. I think RE272 has a better proportioned low end, with more tactility and better dynamics. e-Q5 may perhaps extend a bit deeper though.

The mids are superb on both, but whereas the e-Q5 has a pleasant hint of warmth and very good texture in this region, RE272 emphasizes clarity and timbre. e-Q5 engages you more readily in the mids I think, because they have a coloration that's easy to admire with a nice, warm tone. RE272 sounds colder, but not thinner. It has very rich mids as well and actually has more emphasis than the e-Q5 in the upper mids, giving some instruments like saxophone more presence. But RE272 sounds more analytical. It lays everything out on a plate before you, but expects you to engage yourself. RE272 doesn't color the sound pleasantly like e-Q5 does. There is no extra warmth added with RE272 - just pure realism.

Finally, moving on to the mid/upper highs, I feel that RE272 clearly has an edge here with better presence and detail than the e-Q5. Both extend quite well into the upper highs, although not quite as well as, say, the RE0. e-Q5 lacked a bit of presence in the uppermost treble for my tastes - a bit of shimmer on the very top - while RE272 produces nice sparkle, although not emphasized. If you want a lot of sparkle, CK10 or DBA-02 will probably be better for that, but RE272 highs are more neutral. e-Q5 upper highs are a tad recessed in my opinion.

Soundstage is better on the RE272. e-Q5 has OK soundstage, but it has a noticeable "3 blob in the head" feeling to it. RE272 sounds much more transparent - the left, center and right all blend together seamlessly with no abrupt transitions in between. Both have good soundstage height. RE272 sounds more open and airy. Both have good layering. I think e-Q5 may have an edge in layering, but I am not sure. I will have to AB the two to find out.

Personally, I feel RE272 has the technical edge over e-Q5. e-Q5, however, has a pleasant warmth in its sound that RE272 doesn't have. Overall, it really becomes a matter of preference. I prefer RE272 for its technicalities and realism. I can see how some people will find the warmer, edgier e-Q5 to be more catchy and seductive sounding.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #127 of 273

Quote:
... they are both great.

Agreed, just that RE272 is more finicky on the source / amp. It still sounds wonderful on most source, but the true nature of RE272 can only be revealed when balanced amped. Not that I mean you should get a balanced amp to compliment RE272, but those who own a balanced amp (or Stepdance) should really gives RE272 a try. The upcoming iBasso T5 might do the job as well as it is said to have BTL-like design.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #128 of 273
Hey Pianist thanx for your thoughts man - much appreciated

clieos , i am using a J3/arrow 1G combo - do 272 get better through use of a normal amp ?

what do you think ?

Quote:
Quote:

I owned both. I have the RE272 now. I don't think I will get the e-Q5 again. I personally prefer the former, although they are both great. They are both quite balanced and neutral. I think e-Q5 has a slight edge in lower treble, where it has a sharper sound and better presence than the RE272, which sounds softer and somewhat recessed in this region by comparison. RE272, on the other hand, has more presence in the upper mids and upper highs. e-Q5 has more edge to it - it sounds more agressive with faster attack than RE272, but is never harsh. RE272 gives softer, more rounded edges to sounds. I guess you could say e-Q5 has faster attack.

The bass is fairly similar on these two IEMs I think. Not much impact on either, but very linear and detailed lows that extend deep. I feel that RE272 has an edge over the e-Q5 in bass realism though. I think RE272 has a better proportioned low end, with more tactility and better dynamics. e-Q5 may perhaps extend a bit deeper though.

The mids are superb on both, but whereas the e-Q5 has a pleasant hint of warmth and very good texture in this region, RE272 emphasizes clarity and timbre. e-Q5 engages you more readily in the mids I think, because they have a coloration that's easy to admire with a nice, warm tone. RE272 sounds colder, but not thinner. It has very rich mids as well and actually has more emphasis than the e-Q5 in the upper mids, giving some instruments like saxophone more presence. But RE272 sounds more analytical. It lays everything out on a plate before you, but expects you to engage yourself. RE272 doesn't color the sound pleasantly like e-Q5 does. There is no extra warmth added with RE272 - just pure realism.

Finally, moving on to the mid/upper highs, I feel that RE272 clearly has an edge here with better presence and detail than the e-Q5. Both extend quite well into the upper highs, although not quite as well as, say, the RE0. e-Q5 lacked a bit of presence in the uppermost treble for my tastes - a bit of shimmer on the very top - while RE272 produces nice sparkle, although not emphasized. If you want a lot of sparkle, CK10 or DBA-02 will probably be better for that, but RE272 highs are more neutral. e-Q5 upper highs are a tad recessed in my opinion.

Soundstage is better on the RE272. e-Q5 has OK soundstage, but it has a noticeable "3 blob in the head" feeling to it. RE272 sounds much more transparent - the left, center and right all blend together seamlessly with no abrupt transitions in between. Both have good soundstage height. RE272 sounds more open and airy. Both have good layering. I think e-Q5 may have an edge in layering, but I am not sure. I will have to AB the two to find out.

Personally, I feel RE272 has the technical edge over e-Q5. e-Q5, however, has a pleasant warmth in its sound that RE272 doesn't have. Overall, it really becomes a matter of preference. I prefer RE272 for its technicalities and realism. I can see how some people will find the warmer, edgier e-Q5 to be more catchy and seductive sounding.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #129 of 273

Quote:

Agreed, just that RE272 is more finicky on the source / amp. It still sounds wonderful on most source, but the true nature of RE272 can only be revealed when balanced amped. Not that I mean you should get a balanced amp to compliment RE272, but those who own a balanced amp (or Stepdance) should really gives RE272 a try. The upcoming iBasso T5 might do the job as well as it is said to have BTL-like design.

Has anyone listened to them in balanced mode?

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #131 of 273

Quote:
clieos , i am using a J3/arrow 1G combo - do 272 get better through use of a normal amp ?

what do you think ? 

Having own neither before, I am not too sure. But generally speaking RE272 isn't really hard to drive so you should be alright with a rig like that.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 273
Quote:
wilzc listened to my RE272 today and he agreed with my they are totally lacking the high-end of an ER-4 or A2000X.

What do you mean by lacking? RE272 sure extends pretty well into the upper highs. ER4 sure doesn't extend further. Or do you mean that RE272 lacks the quality of ER4 treble? In that case, I disagree because to my ears, RE272 has smoother, more natural highs with at least as much detail as the ER4, but probably even more. RE272 is just more neutral, so the highs don't grab your attention as much as with the Etys.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #133 of 273
I think the RE272 are just lacking something to make them fun to listen to. In comparison to the q-JAYS I'm preferring the q-JAYS in every way, minus the sibilance which is working its way out with more burning in.

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #134 of 273
Q-jays are good - very good. Probably still one of my favorites. They are very musical indeed and have good technical ability as well. However, I think RE272 beats the Q-jays easily in technicalities, from top to bottom. The bass on RE272 is more realistic sounding - more linear and with better dynamics. Q-jays have a bit of a mid bass hump and sound a tad simplistic compared to RE272, missing some detail. In the mids RE272 is more full bodied, richer, smoother and has a more natural timbre. In the highs, Q-jays have lots of sparkle and good detail, but can sound a bit grainy, thin and harsh at times. The treble was their main weakness to my ears. RE272 has much nicer sounding highs with no grain or harshness to speak of, plus much higher detail resolution as well. Soundstage is more transparent, larger and more open on RE272 as well. The dynamic range is much wider on the RE272 - Q-jays sound quite compressed, although acceptable for most music. Overall, no contest to these ears, but I can see how some may prefer the Q-jays due to a more fun sound signature and also much nicer ergonomics (very small size, comfy fit providing great isolation). I actually wish I had Q-jays again. They really are very nice and very handy for using on every day commutes to work and while doing anything active as they stay put in the ears very well. And they do have a sound that's much easier to accept and get used to than that of the RE272. They do sound very musical. RE272 is certainly more specialized and won't appeal to the average consumer as much. But for someone looking for sound accuracy above all else, RE272 wins hands down IMO.

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #135 of 273
I agree that the RE272 have better highs, but the mids were just too lean for my liking. The bass I disagree with you though. The bass on the RE272 I found to simply be one of the worst I've ever heard, and that's comparing it to the Ad700 and RE0. It's not bad quality, but the severe lack of quantity made the RE272 horrid for electronic music. The only thing I really dislike about the q-JAYS is the sibilance, but as time goes on it's less and less. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back