1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMAN RE-600 Review

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. Hi-Fi'er
    Well I just received my pair, I purchased these direct from HIFIMAN via Amazon. I love the sound but as good as the sound is, the cable's lower part after the split is the worst thing I have ever seen. It looks and feels like it has been through hell or it's just really bad quality control or a returned refurbished unit.

CAM01175.jpg

It has 9 kinks/bulges in it that I counted. I can’t believe this is normal?  If you slide your hands across the cable it’s not smooth but you hit/feel these bumps. I looked closely and they appear to be the cable beneath sticking out though the sleeve. Some look like burns. This is only on the lower part after the split to the jack. The upper part after the split is fine.

I have email this to picture to HIFIMAN's support to see what their reply is. 

2. mark2410 Contributor
    thats unusual an unfortunate, though asa  company they are pretty helpfull so id hope it all gets sorted for you pretty promptly

3. Hi-Fi'er
    Thanks. They are sending a new one.

4. mark2410 Contributor

ahh, isnt it always nice when a co is so helpful and responsive like the

5. Hi-Fi'er
    Yes.

6. mark2410 Contributor
  7. Hi-Fi'er
    Yey! Should have a new set tomorrow. Per USPS: Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, December 17, 2015. I'll post if they are better or worse

8. Hi-Fi'er
    Well I received my replacements yesterday and they are much better! Hats off to HIFIMAN!

9. Hi-Fi'er
    I can't believe this. After 3 months of only using them 2-3 times and keeping them in a IEM case, the left side has failed. These are horrible. Love the sound but horrible build quality. I can't recommend them as I baby my audio equipment insanely well. Is there something else that is equal to the RE-600 so that when they fail again I can exchange for them?

10. jirams
    When I recently bought a set of HiFiMan RE-600 I was well aware of the bad reputation these had for cable problems.

The sound from them I agree is outstanding and I got them on this reputation.

However I expected the cable to last more than a week!  It started cutting out if pressed about half way along the fabric covered length.

These RE-600 are so good that I decided to re-cable them with a spare Senn IE 80 cable I have.  This was difficult to work with as the conductors are litz wire wound with a superfine polymer thread. Any way I managed to crack open the casings and solder in the replacement cable. They sound even better now as I reckon the original cable was changing impedance when moved, eventually packing in.

It's hard to understand how these were fitted by such a crap cable when they have such outstanding performance.

The IE 80 cable was an additional cost but it was part of my recovery strategy if the original failed - which it did with only around 20 hours use.

11. xKazelynn
    Mine has sound cutting out on the left as well. Would u be able to spend time for the replacement works or a tutorial? I would like to fix mine and have a side bonus for an upgrade in sq as well. Unwilling to let it go as they sound really fantastic to me

12. Hi-Fi'er
    Someone posted a tutorial on here how to do it. Have to search for it.

* Update: Here is it: http://imgur.com/a/1v9kE

xKazelynn likes this.
  13. xKazelynn
    Thank you so much!!!

14. mark2410 Contributor

holy crap, that looks epic.  i dont know if i could do taht but it does have me thinking, wouldnt it be lovely if HiFiMAN stuff (400 and 600) came with removable cables.

15. Hi-Fi'er
    I agree. I keep wanting to open the shells and recable them, but keep fearing they would get scratched. ~*sigh.

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last