HIFIMAN: Looking for the Best Reviewers
Sep 16, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #16 of 55
I think this very well have enough juice to do the HD600 sufficiently. I'm hoping to find out.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 55
I don't know about y'all, but DAP review opportunities don't come every day. Hope everyone gets a chance to try one
jecklinsmile.gif
Got a quick turnaround email as well :) 

I think this very well have enough juice to do the HD600 sufficiently. I'm hoping to find out.

Did you see the headphone chart on the SuperMini webpage? They say it should drive the HD600 very well.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 55
  I don't know about y'all, but DAP review opportunities don't come every day. Hope everyone gets a chance to try one
jecklinsmile.gif

Did you see the headphone chart on the SuperMini webpage? They say it should drive the HD600 very well.

Yeah, I think this one is intended for more demanding full size cans, not sensitive IEMs/CIEMs :)  Though, I hope it has a gain switch.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 55

Yeah, I think this one is intended for more demanding full size cans, not sensitive IEMs/CIEMs :)  Though, I hope it has a gain switch.

Not yet as far as I know, though I'm hoping for one in an update as well. To be fair, AFAIK the only IEM mentioned so far that were too sensitive was the FitEar 334, which I think is more sensitive than most IEM's.

I'm wondering how these would sound with the Pinnacle P1. Low sensitivity and relatively high impedance should make the pair a winner.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 55
jecklinsmile.gif

In my experience, there are a lot of DAPs that claim they can drive 600 ohm cans, and they don't get even close. I've also tried the HD600 out of a number of DAPs and they usually don't have the power. The HD600 needs at least 3 Vrms to sound it's best, and more is better. The SuperMini has 3.2 Vrms, so it should be able to do it. The Echobox Explorer has 3.3 and does well. The Geek Outs (1000 and V2) have 4 Vrms.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #24 of 55

What is a difference between this SuperMini and Megamini on Indiegogo ($199, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/megamini-by-hifiman-battery#/) ?

A different button layout on the front plus side and the MegaMini's lack of a Balanced output are the first two things I noticed.

Why do you need balanced output? Do you expect interference from powerful radio signals and/or strong electrical currents running in parallel with the audio cables of your set up? As long as there's no interference, balanced output is about as useful as a pair of sun-glasses in the night. I.e. a complete waste of money if you ask me.

Well, I guess I could be misinformed. If so, please enlighten me. Thanks!

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #25 of 55
@Aero Dynamik

Personally, I do not need the HiFiMan's Balanced output (which is also rated at more than 30 Ohms output impedance if I recall correctly).

I was just purely objectively replying to Alex's question what the difference between the SuperMini and the MegaMini was, without any judgement at all. In fact, I am also not even interested in the SuperMini, so I also did not apply for a review of it.

So there's no need to get offensive between the lines.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 55
  @Aero Dynamik

Personally, I do not need the HiFiMan's Balanced output (which is also rated at more than 30 Ohms output impedance if I recall correctly).

I was just purely objectively replying to Alex's question what the difference between the SuperMini and the MegaMini was, without any judgement at all. In fact, I am also not even interested in the SuperMini, so I also did not apply for a review of it.

So there's no need to get offensive between the lines.

I'm simply trying to be a helpful Head-Fi:er to those who might be led to believe they need to spend hundreds of dollars on balanced output to achieve the best possible sound. So no, I'm not offensive!

Mentioning the lack of balanced output could possibly be perceived as a product disadvantage between the lines. I guess especially when it is written by someone with the prestigious title of "contributor".

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 55

I'm simply trying to be a helpful Head-Fi:er to those who might be led to believe they need to spend hundreds of dollars on balanced output to achieve the best possible sound. So no, I'm not offensive!

All right, there's no problem with that, but then there wouldn't have been a need to refer to me in the first place as I was just replying to what the two first obvious differences are that I noticed.

I could have of course written "the button layout is different between both players and the SuperMini has got an additional Balanced headphone output next to the single-ended socket", which would have been basically the same however with avoiding the term "lacking" which initially wasn't meant in any negative or judgemental way at all.

Anyway, it's true of course that way too many users, especially the new and un-experienced, might automatically assume that a Balanced output is superior to a single-ended, similar to how many people also automatically assume that Hi-Res and DSD files are superior to 44.1/16 Bit Redbook ripped files although in about every case it is the master that's different and not the file format itself, but I don't want to start a flame war here.

beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #28 of 55

Mentioning the lack of balanced output could possibly be perceived as a product disadvantage between the lines. I guess especially when it is written by someone with the prestigious title of "contributor".

Balanced itself should not theoretically make a difference for most personal audio purposes. However it is the superior implementation of these balanced systems that often makes them better.

I'm not sure why you've decided to take the so-called moral high road and gone on what I consider an uncalled for rant against Chris here. He's deserving of contributor status and has been very helpful in my past experiences. If this is your way of demonstrating your knowledge and thus vying for the reviewer position I believe you should take another approach.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 55

All right, there's no problem with that, but then there wouldn't have been a need refer to me in the first place as I was just replying to what the two first obvious differences are that I noticed.

I could have of course written "the button layout is different between both players and the SuperMini has got an additional Balanced headphone output next to the single-ended socket", which would have been basically the same though but with avoiding the term "lacking" which initially wasn't meant in any negative or judgemental way at all.

Anyway, it's true of course that way too many users, especially the new and un-experienced, automatically might assume that a Balanced output is superior to a single-ended, similar to how many people also automatically assume that Hi-Res and DSD files are superior to 44.1/16 Bit Redbook ripped files although it is the master that's different and not the file format itself, but I don't want to start a flame war here.

beerchug.gif

And neither do I (I'm much too old for that)!
beerchug.gif

The fact that I referred to you was basically just by chance. I guess I could just as well have picked twister6's reply (or someone else's). Anyway, thank you for informing the "new and un-experienced" in clear language! Well put!

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 55

Balanced itself should not theoretically make a difference for most personal audio purposes. However it is the superior implementation of these balanced systems that often makes them better.

I'm not sure why you've decided to take the so-called moral high road and gone on what I consider an uncalled for rant against Chris here. He's deserving of contributor status and has been very helpful in my past experiences. If this is your way of demonstrating your knowledge and thus vying for the reviewer position I believe you should take another approach.

Unfortunately, sweeping statements of the kind "superior" and "better" - which are far too common on Head-Fi - isn't helping anyone, quite to the contrary!

No, it is my way of trying to tell the "new and unexperienced" not to spend their hard earned money on balanced output. I'm quite satisfied with my current DAP (FiiO X3 II) and I don't wish to review anything right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back