Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,441 of 3,507
Quote:
I'm relatively new as compared to some of you old-timers here and for the most part, Ive only been following the threads on the RE-400's.   My question is this.   Is it typical for threads to be inundated with conjecture, along with personal slaps here and there with other IEM's, or is it just the RE-400/600's that spur this kind of debate?    Is it something that, typically, the mods stay on top of to keep a thread on track or do they typically let it go as far as they have?   In my opinion, it's kind of shame for those who come here looking for info about these IEM's to have to wade through a lot of this stuff to get to the meat and potatoes of it all, and believe me, I'm fully aware that my inquiry here just adds to all this..................stuff, but I had to ask.

Welcome to head-fi, enjoy your stay!

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,442 of 3,507
Quote:

So your sidekick Inks is at the forefront of casting this "degree of suspicion" as you call it, then you come on and offer to "clear their name" before it's "amplified any further" if they send you a sample. Does anyone else find this at all sketchy or is it just me?

Yep.

Hifiman has nothing to clear, there is no valid suspicion.

Notice the "suspicion" comes from a guy who hasn't heard the re-600.

Hifiman, I would advise you to avoid sending a sample to Rin Choi. He can buy his own set if he likes just like everyone else.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,443 of 3,507

Quote:
So your sidekick Inks is at the forefront of casting this "degree of suspicion" as you call it, then you come on and offer to "clear their name" before it's "amplified any further" if they send you a sample. Does anyone else find this at all sketchy or is it just me?

Wow, whats up with the hostility my friend.. Chill out. First of all, Inks is my friend, not my sidekick, along with Flysweep, James, Gnarlsagan, vwinter, kimvictor, and many other friends. Second, as much as Inks and I agree on certain things, there are disagreements among us as well, and this so-called "doubt" is one of those disagreements recently popped up. Comprende?

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,444 of 3,507
Quote:
Hifiman, I would advise you to avoid sending a sample to Rin Choi. He can buy his own set if he likes just like everyone else.

Thnx a lot LOL

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,445 of 3,507
Quote:
Wow, whats up with the hostility my friend.. Chill out. First of all, Inks is my friend, not my sidekick, along with Flysweep, James, Gnarlsagan, vwinter, kimvictor, and many other friends. Second, as much as Inks and I agree on certain things, there are disagreements among us as well, and this so-called "doubt" is one of those disagreements recently popped up. Comprende?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I comprehend.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,446 of 3,507
Yes.  Goes in waves.  When the RE-600 comes out they'll be more active discussion about sound quality of RE-600 vs RE-400 vs other IEMs.  Until then the void is being filled.  I'm guessing the first 50 pages were less confrontational 
wink.gif
 and mostly about the RE-400.   Are you thinking about buying the RE-400?  

Quote:
I'm relatively new as compared to some of you old-timers here and for the most part, Ive only been following the threads on the RE-400's.   My question is this.   Is it typical for threads to be inundated with conjecture, along with personal slaps here and there with other IEM's, or is it just the RE-400/600's that spur this kind of debate?    Is it something that, typically, the mods stay on top of to keep a thread on track or do they typically let it go as far as they have?   In my opinion, it's kind of shame for those who come here looking for info about these IEM's to have to wade through a lot of this stuff to get to the meat and potatoes of it all, and believe me, I'm fully aware that my inquiry here just adds to all this..................stuff, but I had to ask.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,447 of 3,507
Quote:
Um...  This is something that's best done privately.  Inquiring, responding to a sample in public really isn't a professional thing to do IMO.  That said, the only people who have listened to, or have, the RE-600 are either resellers or people who picked them up in person.  To my understanding, no other RE-600s have been shipped yet to any sort of press. 

I try to keep the communications that I have with companies open as much as possible, unless the manufacturer specifically requests for confidentiality. I don't like secrecy- Nuff of that big-brother-NSA-watching-my-ass. Everybody here should already know well-known reviewers are constantly supplied with product samples, and their reviews are pre-verified by the companies prior to publication. :wink: 

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,448 of 3,507
Quote:
Yes.  Goes in waves.  When the RE-600 comes out they'll be more active discussion about sound quality of RE-600 vs RE-400 vs other IEMs.  Until then the void is being filled.  I'm guessing the first 50 pages were less confrontational 
wink.gif
 and mostly about the RE-400.   Are you thinking about buying the RE-400?  

I already did, about 3 weeks ago.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,450 of 3,507
Quote:
I try to keep the communications that I have with companies open as much as possible, unless the manufacturer specifically requests for confidentiality. I don't like secrecy- Nuff of that big-brother-NSA-watching-my-ass. Everybody here should already know well-known reviewers are constantly supplied with product samples, and their reviews are pre-verified by the companies prior to publication. :wink: 

Just out of curiosity, how did ya suppose your measurements would clear anything that tyll's measurements didn't? Your measurements would probably just show the RE-600 measures similarly to the RE-400, as in the case of Tyll's measurements. Pretty much the only difference you can provide in terms of perspective is the compensation curve you would use. Unless you can add something more onto the table, such as a CSD plot, I honestly don't see how it would be necessarily contributory for you to receive a pair, especially since Peter had already announced the 600's will be available for sale next week. Not knocking you or anything. Just curious.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,451 of 3,507
For those that were asking about the casing material of RE-600 and RE-400, I confirmed it is aluminum. RE-600 has a black gloss finish on it while RE-400 is au naturel.

Peter 

Quick question. Could you find out the weight of the 400 and 600? The 600 is lighter from my and an owners account, but that doesn't really make sense.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,452 of 3,507
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how did ya suppose your measurements would clear anything that tyll's measurements didn't? Your measurements would probably just show the RE-600 measures similarly to the RE-400, as in the case of Tyll's measurements. Pretty much the only difference you can provide in terms of perspective is the compensation curve you would use. Unless you can add something more onto the table, such as a CSD plot, I honestly don't see how it would be necessarily contributory for you to receive a pair, especially since Peter had already announced the 600's will be available for sale next week. Not knocking you or anything. Just curious.

No knocking taken. CSD, step, square wave, binaural synthesis, IMD, what not.. you name it, as long as it is not klippel-analysis or FEM, I can pull it off. Might send you a personalized data if you happen to know me personally haha

It's not that I would care if they won't lend me a sample.. I am an independent reviewer: I'll just borrow/purchase one as usual, and do an analysis as I see it fits. If I ever do an official review of RE-600, HiFiMAN will be able to govern whatever the criteria I'll be covering. It's as simple as that.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,453 of 3,507
Quote:
No knocking taken. CSD, step, square wave, binaural synthesis, IMD, what not.. you name it, as long as it is not klippel-analysis or FEM, I can pull it off. Might send you a personalized data if you happen to know me personally haha

It's not that I would care if they won't lend me a sample.. I am an independent reviewer: I'll just borrow/purchase one as usual, and do an analysis as I see it fits. If I ever do an official review of RE-600, HiFiMAN will be able to govern whatever the criteria I'll be covering. It's as simple as that.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your data and analysis. Not that I would trust it more than my own ears. :)

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,454 of 3,507
Jul 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,455 of 3,507
Quote:

It comes and goes.  Depending on the product really.  Some will get this odd type of conjecture (I like that description) while others will just sit and run more normal.  What really spurred this one was the frequency response charts that were released. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back