Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #406 of 3,507
I do like the RE-400s. Word of caution though: they are very unforgiving with bad recordings.

I am currently using them with the ALO Continental V3, Cypher Labs Solo (not the newer -dB).

I will see if I can post a review soon.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #407 of 3,507
you mention gr-10 in your signature

can you do a small comparison between re-400 and gr-10 ?
Quote:
I do like the RE-400s. Word of caution though: they are very unforgiving with bad recordings.

I am currently using them with the ALO Continental V3, Cypher Labs Solo (not the newer -dB).

I will see if I can post a review soon.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #408 of 3,507
Quote:

I didn't find this to be the case for me at all.  They are so overly polite.  Nothing sounded harsh or bad.  Just boring, to me; similarly to how I found the Rockit R50.  In fact I'd say these would be a good all rounder for any type of music, quality or bitrate.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #409 of 3,507
My purchase history goes as following:

apple in ear
fischer audio dba 02
audio technica ck10
jvc fx700

Each purchase has gotten better from the previous. Can anyone compare them to the RE 400? It would be very helpful. My RE 400 should arrive by next week but I always like to compare notes with other, more skilled users. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #410 of 3,507

My review of the RE-400 has been posted at my site, Musical Musings.

Quick sum up:

"The result is a tonally neutral, linear presentation that is absolutely phenomenal. Yeah, I know this sounds like hyperbole but it isn’t. It has certain seductive qualities that belie its true abilities, luring you in with its completely inoffensive sound signature and allowing the detail to sink in rather than shoving it in your face the way the Rock-It Sounds R-50 does. The RE-400 doesn’t try to impress with aggressive detailing or a presentation that errs on one side of neutral or another or emphasize one frequency range (mids, treble, bass) at the expense of the others. But, oddly enough, it’s because the RE-400 doesn’t try to sound great that it actually does. This is one of the few IEMs in my collection I’d truly say sounds “effortless”. It doesn’t try to sound as good as it does, it just…does."

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #412 of 3,507
Quote:
My purchase history goes as following:

apple in ear
fischer audio dba 02
audio technica ck10
jvc fx700

Each purchase has gotten better from the previous. Can anyone compare them to the RE 400? It would be very helpful. My RE 400 should arrive by next week but I always like to compare notes with other, more skilled users. 

I can compare to DBA-02, which is the same as my Brainwavz B2, which I will mark as (A) vs Hifiman RE-400 (B).
Brainwavz B2/Fischer Audio DBA-02 Hifiman RE-400
Deep fit for best sound Shallow fit for best sound
Bent nozzle means only one type of wear is comfortable (over-the-ear for me) Straight nozzle allows for comfortable wear over the ear and straight down
Small shell Small shell
Cable doesn't harden Cable might harden
V-shaped with some focus on highs Neutral, balanced sound
Has some midbass boost (3 dB, 200 Hz central, wide) (Maybe?) Has some low bass boost?
Low end rolloff starts at 70 Hz, gentle (3 dB/oct) Low end rolloff starts maybe at 35 Hz, gentle (4 dB/oct?)
Medium speed bass Fast bass
Smoothened bass Neutral bass smoothness
Medium-low bass impact High bass impact
Midrange cut (800-2kHz, central 1 kHz, 5 dB) Neutral midrange
Midrange sounds slightly recessed. Midrange sounds balanced
Highs sound presence-boosted, shimmering. May exaggerate sibilance if present. Highs sound sometimes slightly crunchy. (a'la electric guitar)
Highs boost in presence region, (5-10kHz central 6.5 kHz, 6+ dB) No highs boost
No upper end shelf. Slight upper end shelf (2 dB?)
Upper end rolloff starts at 15.5 kHz, steep No upper end rolloff. (19kHz+)
Medium decay in bass Medium/fast decay in bass
Fast decay in mids Medium decay in mids
Fast decay in highs Medium/long decay in highs
Sounds dampened (a'la highly foam dampened room) Sounds bit reverberated (a'la plate reverb/concrete walls)
No bass bleed No bass bleed
Somewhat flattened soundstage Correct soundstage depth
Good soundstage height rendition Excellent soundstage height rendition
Slightly wider soundstage than perfect Slightly narrower soundstage than perfect
Small center hole in left/right soundstaging Perfect smoothness in left/right soundstaging
Slightly inversely arced soundstage (edges further than center) "Linear" soundstage
"Surround" effect causes front/back confusion if highs are present "Surround" effect only widens soundstage
Gets cold sounding when loud (odd order harmonic distortion) Gets super-reverberant when loud (decay gets longer)
Gets more neutral with high output impedance amps Output impedance does not affect sound
Medium-high sensitivity for IEMs
(110 dB/mW, 40 Ohm)
Medium-low sensitivity for IEMs
(102 dB/mW, 32 Ohm)
High isolation (~22 dB) Medium isolation (~15 dB)

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #415 of 3,507
Just ordered the RE-400! Very curious! I found myself without a quality pair of iems; its been a while since getting into over ear headphones and trying to build a good portable set up. In the end of the day, a good iem is just so convenient when you're out and about. Everyone seems to be saying this is the bang for your buck iem now, so we'll see. I expect good things though! 

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #416 of 3,507
Difference table of RE-ZERO vs RE-400:
Hifiman RE-ZERO Hifiman RE-400
Bit nasal tonality (5k bump), too forward mids Neutral tonality, mids neither forward nor recessed
Shimmer cut (8.5k null) Neutral shimmer
Much more pronounced highest end shelf
(6 dB)
Very slight if any high end shelf
Slow highest end rolloff
(17kHz; better than B2, similar to GR07)
No highest end roll off
(can hear up to 19.5k)
Somewhat gritty feel to the sound
(mids distortion?)
Smooth sound with only a hint of extra crunch or midbass boost
Very long mids reverberation Less reverberation in mids, more in highs
Very solid bass impact Slightly softer bass impact, but felt more
Definitely rolled-off subbass, a bit wide-band boosted bass (2 dB) No apparent subbass rolloff, perhaps even a neglible low bass boost
Best performance only with aftermarket tips
(hard to get Fostex elliptic single flange for me)
Best performance with stock large biflange (crunch & reverb) or Comply Ts400 (midbass, non-reverbed, analytic)
Medium depth insertion (reference plane?), "just" achievable with single flanges Shallow insertion (-3 mm?); deeper cuts highs, upper mids and boosts midbass a tiny bit
Somewhat uneven decay Very even, smooth decay
Trapezoid soundstage (sides noticeably closer to head) with slight hole in the middle Linear soundstage, superbly coherent
Decent soundstage height rendition Very good soundstage height rendition
Uneven soundstage depth rendition - "in the face" vocals, bass sometimes in-head Very good soundstageome depth rendition
Definitely hardened cable Probably the same cable at the top
Flat wide minijack (not exactly Macbook friendly) Tapered minijack
Balanced cable with adaptor Normal unbalanced wiring
Does not work that well with Comply T400/Ts400 in any form
Reduced "nasal" feeling, grittiness, and reverberation, but also much reduced bass impact and subbass amount
Works extremely well w/ Comply Ts400 normally mounted - faster bass impact, notably less reverb (almost like B2 anechoic room), no extra crunch, wider soundstage, warmer?, superbly extended subbass
Generally way more analytic (not brighter!), but warmer
Not too sensitive wrt insertion depth, but picky about tips Not picky about tips, but instead about insertion depth
Medium-high sensitivity for an IEM
(100 dB/mW, 16 Ohm)
Generally half (-3 dB) as loud (102 dB/mW, 32 Ohm)

Note: corrected sensitivity value, all actually were at dB/mW @ 1kHz.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #417 of 3,507
Hmmm.... Considering it..... I'm in the market for an IEM to 'downgrade' so to speak from my FXZ200s which I'll be posting in the FS Foprum shortly after I figure out which IEM wil replace them.

Does anyone have any comments between the RE-400 and the FXZ200? I know they're two diffferent beats and price range but SQ wise, what are the differences?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #419 of 3,507
Yes, we should have a whole section of Head-Fi where-in you'd enter simple impressions like:
Like X, Y, Z more than W. And perhaps each with some abstract "scale", say like it more by 1-5.

Then one could easily distill the consensus opinion of that product.

Personally I'd need 2 sections for the opinion - out-of-the-box and equalized to perceptually flat frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back