Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #556 of 666
Yes, I have noticed this too. Basically the "all songs" selection is useless IMO.

Even the genre selection is not really useful since you get ALL tracks in that genre instead of a list of albums in that genre that you can choose from.
I have my folders ordered like you, but have genres > artists > albums > tracks.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #557 of 666
  Yes, I have noticed this too. Basically the "all songs" selection is useless IMO.

Even the genre selection is not really useful since you get ALL tracks in that genre instead of a list of albums in that genre that you can choose from.
I have my folders ordered like you, but have genres > artists > albums > tracks.

it really beats the purpose of 'all songs' if the tracks are still sorted first by the way you have it in folders..

in addition to that, when SHUFFLE is ON, i can still hear the tracks previously played (like 2days ago if 8hrs continuous play each day)...
this is despite the fact that the 901s still recalls the last track you played b4 you shut it OFF..

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #558 of 666
Regarding the database / library function of the HM901S

I have noticed that sometimes it rescans the entire SD-card after changing cards - even though there isn't any changes done to it.

After some testing, I have discovered that if I remember to play a track (even just shortly) and then use the "Eject SD card" function, the DAP will in fact keep the library and just read the database the next time I insert the card. If I on the other hand boot up the player completely until "Now Playing" is displayed, but without playing a track before ejecting the SD-card, the DAP will rescan the card the next time I insert it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #559 of 666
i have not tried the 'eject SD card' yet and was still clueless about its purpose until that observation...
nevertheless, it still seems to be useless though...

after clicking the 'eject SD card', would you be still able to switch it OFF entirely?
and if yes, does the whole library comes back after turning it ON again?

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #560 of 666
  i have not tried the 'eject SD card' yet and was still clueless about its purpose until that observation...
nevertheless, it still seems to be useless though...

after clicking the 'eject SD card', would you be still able to switch it OFF entirely?
and if yes, does the whole library comes back after turning it ON again?

Yes, you can switch it off completely after removing the SD card.

The whole point with the "Eject SD card" function seems to be when you either change cards (having two or more cards with music on), or when you remove the card in order to add more music to it (with the SD card plugged into a computer).

If you only use one SD card and add music to it sitting in the DAP via the USB / data cable, then the "Eject SD card" function probably isn't of any use.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #561 of 666
now i placed all my songs into ONE folder only...
all functions (ARTIST, GENRE, FOLDER) seems to be OK except again for the ALL SONGS...
it is still sorted by artist > songs..

i ended up using the function FOLDER since the songs are sorted exactly the same with what the ALL SONGS function should be...

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #562 of 666
Hello
Lotto paw gold vs hm901s with amp mini box gold ?
Thx

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #563 of 666
Do you think Andromeda and HM901s make a good match?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #564 of 666
Hello
Lotto paw gold vs hm901s with amp mini box gold ?
Thx

The 901S and LPG are very close in overall tonality. Forward, stimulating, dynamic. Neutral, with enough sparkle. I always listened to the 901S with the balanced card, then the stage is more spacious, while it can be a bit smoother with certain iems. The LPG on the other hand is more intimate, but has better resolution. With the minibox gold card the 901S' stage is more intimate and similar to the LPG, and it is brighter compared to the balanced card with more clarity. I'd have to listen again to see how it compares to the LPG.

Quote:
Do you think Andromeda and HM901s make a good match?

Both are a 'fun' version of neutral, I'd say they match well. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #565 of 666
LPG to my ears has the most beautiful tones over all DAP I've tried...great resolution too...but I feel the stage is too intimate...the width is too narrow, but the depth is good...it feels like "tunnel" shape stage..

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #566 of 666
LPG to my ears has the most beautiful tones over all DAP I've tried...great resolution too...but I feel the stage is too intimate...the width is too narrow, but the depth is good...it feels like "tunnel" shape stage..

That's true; I'm not going to lie, I felt closed in in the beginning. But after about a two weeks or so I adjusted to it, and it's fine now. But the 901S with balanced card definitely has more standard dimensions, even without a balanced cable.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #567 of 666
  The 901S and LPG are very close in overall tonality. Forward, stimulating, dynamic. Neutral, with enough sparkle. I always listened to the 901S with the balanced card, then the stage is more spacious, while it can be a bit smoother with certain iems. The LPG on the other hand is more intimate, but has better resolution. With the minibox gold card the 901S' stage is more intimate and similar to the LPG, and it is brighter compared to the balanced card with more clarity. I'd have to listen again to see how it compares to the LPG.
Both are a 'fun' version of neutral, I'd say they match well. 

with what card are you referring to for andromeda bro?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #568 of 666

with what card are you referring to for andromeda bro?

I did most my litening with balanced card.. But I think Andro pairs easily, it isn't overly bright or warm. If you prefer the brighter presentation of the MBG, it would also work with Andro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back