HiFiMAN HM650 Portable Music Player Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #391 of 493
HM650 has exactly the same or similar firmware as the 802/901/802u/901u/802s/901s. If you can't live with one of them, you won't like the others. Actually without the wheel, HM650 might have less problem than the 802/901.

I have both HM650 and 901s now, I like both.

I coudn't care less about it has the same or simillar firmware. I don't have 901 and just 901 IEM card. The thing is, the firmware on 650 get crashed several times whilst playing several of my flac files and get rebooted.
Not to touted about battery drain..

I have 603 before and although it is simple, it does work without hiccup. Oh.. and it used standard charger by the way.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #392 of 493
I coudn't care less about it has the same or simillar firmware. I don't have 901 and just 901 IEM card. The thing is, the firmware on 650 get crashed several times whilst playing several of my flac files and get rebooted.
Not to touted about battery drain..

I have 603 before and although it is simple, it does work without hiccup. Oh.. and it used standard charger by the way.

im on latest firmware and playing flac with level 3 and 5. has been using this 650 daily for 3 months and i never have a single crash before. ui performance is fast

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #393 of 493
well, when I was sold it, There is no firmware upgrade. If you look at my post, I was asking about firmware upgrade before too before. And even if now it get resolved, there is still propetiary line out and charger. Really... I never think hifiman really want this dap to sell too well, just like what sony used to be with their first mp3 player.... purposedly make it awfull so people will stick with non mp3 player. In this case clearly hifiman people buy their 802 and 901 line rather than this low margin one

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #394 of 493
There is a firmware upgrade available, it improves stability and (usually) allows gapless playback.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #395 of 493
Until 10th of March there is a special deal on the hifiman HM-650

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hm-650-portable-player.html

$279 with Classic II card
$299 with Power II card

Even though I have a 901 I am thinking of picking one up for this price.....

Cheers.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #396 of 493

$299 with Power II card

Cheers.

Thinking of picking one up since I don't have a HFM DAP in my collection. Has anyone used the Musical card with the HM650? Any thoughts?

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #397 of 493

$299 with Power II card

Cheers.

Very very tempting....this got me really interested and made me read through the whole thread plus some reviews by Mark2410 and Headfonics.
I don't care about the 250g weight, the 'short' 9 hours battery life...BUT using proprietary charger (and LO)???.....I think I will pass 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #398 of 493

Very very tempting....this got me really interested and made me read through the whole thread plus some reviews by Mark2410 and Headfonics.
I don't care about the 250g weight, the 'short' 9 hours battery life...BUT using proprietary charger (and LO)???.....I think I will pass 

Yes, here you can really see the limit resources hifiman has to work with. They can't utilize an enormous infrastructure like on the iRiver/AK.

On a recent trip, I just couldn't get myself to take the 901 with me - just because I didn't want to schlepp around the charger. Used my AP100 instead that can be charger via USB like so many other things.

However, the quirkiness and retro-ness is actually quite charming in many ways. And the sound quality justifies a lot of compromises.

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #399 of 493
I couldn't resist at this price with the Power II.  The charger size is a bummer, but I'm already accustomed to dragging a laptop with 9-cell battery around.  Hoping it works well with the Fostex/Massdrop X00 cans I bought.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #401 of 493
Which amp module did you go with @Koolpep? I'm wondering if the Power II will give enough play on the volume pot for sensitive, low impedance IEM and/or hiss.

Didn't buy it yet....still time until 10th of March....

The Power II has output power of 85mW per channel, less than the balanced card due to single end construction. 

So, it should be quite ok for sensitive IEMs, it's not too powerful, despite the name...

But since I have the classicII card already, I probably will go for the PowerII.

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #402 of 493
This is make up appearance upgrade from HM650 to 802u. But also says improve sound by around 30%

Pretty cheap just around 100usd without tax and shipping.

Must use agent because domestic shipping only

anyone want to try?

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #403 of 493
  This is make up appearance upgrade from HM650 to 802u. But also says improve sound by around 30%

anyone want to try?

Hmm, very interesting indeed. Can you provide a link?

cheers!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #404 of 493
Didn't buy it yet....still time until 10th of March....

The Power II has output power of 85mW per channel, less than the balanced card due to single end construction. 

So, it should be quite ok for sensitive IEMs, it's not too powerful, despite the name...

But since I have the classicII card already, I probably will go for the PowerII.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply KP!

The ad copy specifies Classic II gives tubey sound. That sounds good. Any thoughts from HFM DAP owners on whether sound signature differs much between Classic II vs. Power II?

anyone want to try?

Hmm, very interesting indeed. Can you provide a link?

cheers!

Yes, link please :L3000:

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #405 of 493
I do have the link. But since this is not official hifiman product, I don't know if it is appropriate if I post it here.. hence just the picture

They have around 60 stocks left.

What makes me curious is, how the hell the can make such unofficial mod that precise. It takes official specs from original factory to do stuff like this.

hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back