Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
Mar 29, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #152 of 584
You can use the 3.5mm as a ground, but you need a special cable made.
What would this even look like? A 4.4mm male to 2.5mm male cable with an extra 3.5mm “dummy” attachment that acts purely as a ground? Do you know who would even make a cable like this?

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #153 of 584
What would this even look like? A 4.4mm male to 2.5mm male cable with an extra 3.5mm “dummy” attachment that acts purely as a ground? Do you know who would even make a cable like this?

Took a moment to find but knew I'd seen a cable like that before. A bit short, only in Japan, and seems to be out of stock but Amazon Japan appears to be taking back-orders:

EDIT: Not cheap but I have a couple of PW cables for my Oriolus amp and they are very well made. There's also a 4.4 to 4.4mm version (at bottom of 2nd link) which I assume is for use with an ungrounded 4.4 to grounded 4.4 connection.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/2-5mm-4-4mm-oriolus-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07R6C8Q81

https://www.cyras.jp/104515.html

OriolusPWcable.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #154 of 584
Took a moment to find but knew I'd seen a cable like that before. A bit short, only in Japan, and seems to be out of stock but Amazon Japan appears to be taking back-orders:

EDIT: Not cheap but I have a couple of PW cables for my Oriolus amp and they are very well made. There's also a 4.4 to 4.4mm version (at bottom of 2nd link) which I assume is for use with an ungrounded 4.4 to grounded 4.4 connection.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/2-5mm-4-4mm-oriolus-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07R6C8Q81

https://www.cyras.jp/104515.html

OriolusPWcable.jpg
Awesome, thanks for the help, and at least now I know what to look for! This should be a good stop-gap measure until I actually update my amp section to (hopefully) have balanced 4.4mm input.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #156 of 584
Glad I could help.

Btw, does your HM1000 charge light turn green when fully charged?
Yes, it just takes a while if charging from a USB port on my PC. Have you (or anyone else who owns this thing) been able to update the firmware? I downloaded the file from Hifiman's site, formatted my micro SD card correctly, and took all the right steps, but mine is still running the firmware it shipped with, which is definitely a less current version.

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #157 of 584
Yes, it just takes a while if charging from a USB port on my PC. Have you (or anyone else who owns this thing) been able to update the firmware? I downloaded the file from Hifiman's site, formatted my micro SD card correctly, and took all the right steps, but mine is still running the firmware it shipped with, which is definitely a less current version.

Thought I replied to your question but guess I was too distracted sending my HM1000 back to Hifiman (waiting for a replacement; hopefully next one takes a full charge).

EDIT: I assume your card is formatted in exFAT (just for the update; otherwise FAT32 for regular use)

Version is misleading as it shows March 16 but the actual file inside the zip is from January (which the Remote app also confirms).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #158 of 584
Thought I replied to your question but guess I was too distracted sending my HM1000 back to Hifiman (waiting for a replacement; hopefully next one takes a full charge).

EDIT: I assume your card is formatted in exFAT (just for the update; otherwise FAT32 for regular use)

Version is misleading as it shows March 16 but the actual file inside the zip is from January (which the Remote app also confirms).
Yeah, I actually followed up with Hifiman and they confirmed what you posted. I'm sorry you got a lemon, I hope the next one works well for you!

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #161 of 584
this is my set info.
i dunno is it lastest firmware.

Mine had the same version. AFAIK, it's the latest; couldn't find anything newer on either Hifiman site.

Anyone know what the fastest way to scan the media.I only able to use my mobile wireless scan it and took quite some time.

I ended up using OTG which was about twice as fast as wireless. However, OTG starts out wireless (which took about 5min for me with a 128GB card and over 4K songs) then you connect otg cable when prompted and it's done 30sec later. IIRC, wireless took over 10min. Also tried "Manual" but gave up after waiting few minutes so no idea why it's there.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #162 of 584
Mine had the same version. AFAIK, it's the latest; couldn't find anything newer on either Hifiman site.

I ended up using OTG which was about twice as fast as wireless. However, OTG starts out wireless (which took about 5min for me with a 128GB card and over 4K songs) then you connect otg cable when prompted and it's done 30sec later. IIRC, wireless took over 10min. Also tried "Manual" but gave up after waiting few minutes so no idea why it's there.
So, how does one actually load songs on the micro SD card on the HM1000? I’m really baffled, because you all seem to be having good luck. I have an iPhone and use a Windows 10 PC. I thought it was simply drag and drop when the HM1000 was connected by USB to my PC, but that’s clearly not the case. And Hifiman customer service confused me even more when I contacted them and they responded that the TF card was for firmware updates only.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #163 of 584
So, how does one actually load songs on the micro SD card on the HM1000? I’m really baffled, because you all seem to be having good luck. I have an iPhone and use a Windows 10 PC. I thought it was simply drag and drop when the HM1000 was connected by USB to my PC, but that’s clearly not the case. And Hifiman customer service confused me even more when I contacted them and they responded that the TF card was for firmware updates only.
You maybe can try use manual in hm1000 let it update the media after done you try connect to your pc.
1. Please click "MANUAL" then operate as the operation guide
2. Please wait for the update of the mediahub, when it is finish, connect your phone and HM1000 to your computer and copy the generated file "HIFIMAN.DAT" to the folder "hifiman/incoming"
i use my android phone to get it work by wireless.
i put DAT file inside my phone folder inaide hifiman. incoming and same DAT to sd card

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #164 of 584
You maybe can try use manual in hm1000 let it update the media after done you try connect to your pc.
1. Please click "MANUAL" then operate as the operation guide
2. Please wait for the update of the mediahub, when it is finish, connect your phone and HM1000 to your computer and copy the generated file "HIFIMAN.DAT" to the folder "hifiman/incoming"
i use my android phone to get it work by wireless.
i put DAT file inside my phone folder inaide hifiman. incoming and same DAT to sd card
Yeah, I copied the DAT file into iTunes on my PC since I'm using an iPhone with the app to control the HM1000. What I don't understand is where to load my music files on the HM1000, and how to get the app to recognize them.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #165 of 584
Yeah, I copied the DAT file into iTunes on my PC since I'm using an iPhone with the app to control the HM1000. What I don't understand is where to load my music files on the HM1000, and how to get the app to recognize them.
you try my way. u need to install remote apk. then choose wireless on hifiman remote with bt on and pair it. it will auto scan ur sd card in hm1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back