Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
May 3, 2020 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 585

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay my unit arrived, and as I promised I will create its own dedicated thread once I've the unit to talk about it. I no longer have the R2R2000, as I had to trade mine in with some cash on top, so no this is not a free unit. As always I will be as honest as I can regarding my impression, but those who owned or used the R2R2K, they know it is not a complete product. Yes, I love the sound that I had to see what else Hifiman can do with this new DAP.

Official website: http://hifiman.cn/products/detail/279
Current version: Golden copper case (32,800 RMB), Standard case (29,800 RMB)

20200423112802_57859.jpg

May 3, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 585
Disclosure: Comments below are my finding, under my test environment, for you things might be different. Please test it yourself first before you take my word for it.

Update 1: 9-May-2020
When I first tested R2RK with my FW10000, it was love at first sight, so to speak. R2R2K got the vocal so right. With HM1000 I cannot say it is the same case. For start, using microSD is not active yet, which is fine as I knew that was the case. I relied on my Bluetooth and phone/laptop to listen to music.

First of all, I'm having issue with Bluetooth so I cannot evaluate it. I used the Bravo-HD driver on my windows 10, and to be honest, it does not sound good. I was so worried as I thought I made a mistake trading in my R2R2K and some money for HM1K.
I turned into my note10+ as a source, things sounded better, a lot better! It is twice better than R2R2K, I don't know, at least not yet.
Going from WM1A to DMP-Z1, the jump was quiet noticeable to me. I know why I was paying more for the DMP-Z1. With HM1K, it is not as obvious.

So far the strenght of HM1000 is how much more detail it can retrieve from live recording. Its current weakness for me is that it is too source sensitive, needs top-notch recording and perhaps lack a bit of punch and dynamic. It bass really reaches low, but doesn't hit hard.

Update: 10-May

I've begun letting the battery discharge and recharge, testing the battery life claim of HM1000. In getting 8.5 hours via blue tooth streaming. Call me crazy, but recharing and discharging the unit has opened up the sound a little.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 585
Disclosure: Comments below are my finding, under my test environment, for you things might be different. Please test it yourself first before you take my word for it.

Update 1: 9-May-2020
When I first tested R2RK with my FW10000, it was love at first sight, so to speak. R2R2K got the vocal so right. With HM1000 I cannot say it is the same case. For start, using microSD is not active yet, which is fine as I knew that was the case. I relied on my Bluetooth and phone/laptop to listen to music.

First of all, I'm having issue with Bluetooth so I cannot evaluate it. I used the Bravo-HD driver on my windows 10, and to be honest, it does not sound good. I was so worried as I thought I made a mistake trading in my R2R2K and some money for HM1K.
I turned into my note10+ as a source, things sounded better, a lot better! It is twice better than R2R2K, I don't know, at least not yet.
Going from WM1A to DMP-Z1, the jump was quiet noticeable to me. I know why I was paying more for the DMP-Z1. With HM1K, it is not as obvious.

So far the strenght of HM1000 is how much more detail it can retrieve from live recording. Its current weakness for me is that it is too source sensitive, needs top-notch recording and perhaps lack a bit of punch and dynamic. It bass really reaches low, but doesn't hit hard.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 585
The question is: is this really a complete product?
Answer is: not yet. They were up front with me when they were selling it. They are selling it for those who are eager to get it, despite the product not been fully ready.

You can use it as a USB dac/amp. BT is not quiet stable, too many drop out.

Also tonality is very different compared to r2r2k.

May 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 585
It is usb dac amp with BT right?

May 5, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #12 of 585
May 5, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 585

Users who are viewing this thread

Back