HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Nov 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,061 of 3,445
You are welcome!

When you say that you don't like the sound from your 250 Ohm headphones out of the HM-901 with IEM amp card, I am not surprised since the IEM amp card only has a max voltage swing of 1.4 Volts. This is far from good for high impedance headphones. High impedance headphones need a lot more voltage (but needs just a little Ampere).

Now you have two choices:
1. Keep the 250 Ohm headphones (but only for use with desktop / home amplifier).
2. Get a headphone with lower impedance (like the HE-560) and be able to use it with both the HM-901 and via desktop / home amplifier.

Again you are right, at the miment I already ordered external desktop/home Amplifier Hifiman EF5 for my Hifiman901.
But I have one day to abort this order without any problem. And I cannot make up my mind.
You see I have never used tube home amplifier (actually EF5 is hybrid, but you know what I mean). And I am not sure that I need it. Will it make music quality better? Is there any difference?

As the owner of two hi end home amps what would you recommend? Buy it and try it?
I can afford this amp as it is not expensive. And I cannot try such things at a store somewhere in a shop as I cannot concentrate there, I feel properly relaxed only at home.

* I will buy HE-560 in any case. And I can give away my 250 OHM headphones to my brother for free as a gift :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,063 of 3,445
Again you are right, at the miment I already ordered external desktop/home Amplifier Hifiman EF5 for my Hifiman901.
But I have one day to abort this order without any problem. And I cannot make up my mind.
You see I have never used tube home amplifier (actually EF5 is hybrid, but you know what I mean). And I am not sure that I need it. Will it make music quality better? Is there any difference?

As the owner of two hi end home amps what would you recommend? Buy it and try it?
I can afford this amp as it is not expensive. And I cannot try such things at a store somewhere in a shop as I cannot concentrate there, I feel properly relaxed only at home.

* I will buy HE-560 in any case. And I can give away my 250 OHM headphones to my brother for free as a gift
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I haven't heard the EF5, so I can't answer your question about sound quality. However, high impedance headphones need more voltage than low impedance ones and this means that you probably will need a good desktop / home amplifier to get the best of your 250 Ohm headphone.

If I was you - which I am not (!) - I would cancel the order on the EF5 and rather save up for HE-560. jamato8 has a lot of experience with headphones, and when he says it's his favorite, then I would go for that first.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3,064 of 3,445
What do you think - can I use them with my hifiman-901 with IEM amp card?
having in mind that I do not need too much loudness in my phones, just the quality of sound.
Or would you recommend buying external home desktop amplifier hifiman EF-5?

You need more power out than the IEM card to make them come to life. You could run them balanced from the 901 with the balanced card. I also like the Lyr 2. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,067 of 3,445
Ok the discrete card is awesome soundwise but it's RF noise fiesta. Anybody compared with Minibox?

Not sure we have the same. Because this card is reputed to have this issue. It is just sometimes, but when it happens it is annoying.

I've been bitching about this to everyone ever since I got the discrete card. It can get really loud too. Part of the reason I use the other cards more often than the discrete. The Angel is the most silent in this regard thus far for me.

Let me know if you ever find a way to reduce the damn noise short of putting the 901 into a radiation bag whenever it's going to be used within 6 feet of a cellphone.  

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3,069 of 3,445

I've been bitching about this to everyone ever since I got the discrete card. It can get really loud too. Part of the reason I use the other cards more often than the discrete. The Angel is the most silent in this regard thus far for me.

Let me know if you ever find a way to reduce the damn noise short of putting the 901 into a radiation bag whenever it's going to be used within 6 feet of a cellphone.  

gawd yes 

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3,071 of 3,445
Hi , just received the HM650 with Minibox this is so good that i decided to upgrade to his big brother the HM901 with Standart card , will put the Minibox Card on the HM901 , and the Classic one on the HM650 , this one will be my back up player . Have some questions , does the HM901 have a Line Out ? , because i have a Portaphile 627 Micro that i would like to use with the 901 , i wonder if the Portaphile as external portable amplifier is as good as the Balanced card . Talking about the HM650 ,  HIFIMAN said it have no Line Out function , i hope that the 901 have one true LO, that can bypass the Amp card . Another thing , is it easy to change the Amp card on those player ? Thanks in advance       PS : Sorry for my English , i'm in France

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3,072 of 3,445
I don't know how come the guy/girl at Hifiman would have told you that. HM650 does have line out, same as the HM901. You can either use the included line out cable (dock to RCA) or get something similar to this one (which I have and use to pair my HM901 with SR71A):

https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=171

The only function the HM650 doesn't have is the USB-DAC feature which you need to get the dock station to use anyway.

It's is very easy to change amp card. Take less than a min for me now, and most of the time is because the player power up  a bit slow (takes around half a minute).

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,073 of 3,445
You sure he is busy? I thought he is at home most of the time even when working :p

Oi! I saw that! However, I fear that my charmed life is coming to an end before the end of the year... Let's try to do lunch one of these days? Same place. :)

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,075 of 3,445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back