HiFiMAN HM-901 Amplifier Cards
Jun 7, 2014 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

drweincpa

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any impressions on all the amplifier cards for the HM-901? I have the balanced and was wondering if there is a different sound to the Minibox. Also would it be worth looking into the IEM card if I have higher end earphones?

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 20
  Does anyone have any impressions on all the amplifier cards for the HM-901? I have the balanced and was wondering if there is a different sound to the Minibox. Also would it be worth looking into the IEM card if I have higher end earphones?

Bump.  I, too, would be very interested in a comparison of all the available amplifier cards - before making an initial purchase of the HM-901.  Thank you!

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 20
Bump again, if anyone can explain the differences that would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 20
There are differences in sound. Absolutely  For example, I recently tried one of the older standard cards with discrete transistors and it is notably superior to the balanced card.  It would be really helpful if the manufacturer provided some guidance as to generations of its product.  I recently looked at the standard card on the new 650 and it is very sparse in componentry. The balanced card sounded better than that one. The minibox card was available to me to try (thinking of getting) and it was also superior to the balanced card (a disappointment)  So far, the old standard card wins the day.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 20
Most prefer the balanced card here. I use and love Minibox but don't dismiss the current standard card which does sound very good, enjoy that for a while before changing it.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 20
didn't find threads with card differences, especially the standart-balanced-elfidelity, and discrete cards.
I would find wich one is the most neutral, with the strongest treble response( frequency, not power)
I checked the standart and the discrete( yellow color board), the discrete has a serious lack of treble for me, very good with my 1+2, but too weak with my main display, I mean my oppo PM-3,so I use the standart card.
If the balanced or elfidelity brings better treble, and not a too warm sound ( as warm as the standart is correct for me) , I will be interested in.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 20
The MiniBox Gold card sounds considerably better if the buf634's are stacked to double. This would increase the buffers from 8 to 16. I have not noticed much of a difference in battery life either.

Overall the amp sounds much less veiled.

DIY intsturctions:
1. Glue the new bufs atop the old ones paying attention to orientation.
2. Wait for the glue to dry... 
3. Bend the pins of the new buffers down with pen knife.
4. Purchase 28-30 gauge wire. Strip off a section and tin the exposed section with very little solder. Just draw the wire through a blob on the iron.
5. Put a small drop of solder on tip of iron. Then while holding wire, touch the wire and iron to the pins to be attached. (It helps to have the card taped to a surface and your eyes at level with the pins)
6. Use a clipper to remove exess wire to be used on the next pin.

Overall the DIY requires condsiderable patience as there are 64 pins within close proximity.

You will hear the difference.

Sorry, no photos as mine is now encased in candlewax. No way am I putting a 3rd level...............

Xin, please make us something that can really unleash the OPA627/637.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 20
Dr xin?

From what I know balancd card if run single ended is sound same as Iem card cause only half of the components in the amp card used. I comparing balanced out with single ended out using balanced card now.. After burning in the circuit then would share mine findings.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 20
Try both yrself.. But if u intend to run balanced in future the balanced card is the best.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 20
Try both yrself.. But if u intend to run balanced in future the balanced card is the best.

Mini box gold vs balanced amp ? Or other module. I only use sub 100 ohm headphones and iems that are unbalanced. Currently i use audeze isine 20, k3003 and other headphones thrown in.. I have the power 2 stock card. I want something that improves on its sound.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 20
Both balanced and minibox gold should improve in term of SQ. I do not have minibox gold but listened to it before.. It sound quite like paw gold but less digital and aggressive. It sound muddy compared to balanced card. Thus I prefer balanced card and since got my TG334 balanced no looking back. Balanced sound the best of all that's IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back