Hifiman HM-801 RMAA Tests
May 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #46 of 795
Quote:
So we're suppose to sit here and let people throw out attacks at our purchases and not retaliate? Would you like if someone went about bashing why you don't just use iPod earbuds and music sounds the same through any speaker? No, you would defend yourself.

Why do you feel the need to defend a purchase you made? You are an ignorant fanboy whos opinion is purely based on the fact that you refuse to look silly for spending $800 on a brick of a player that doesn't perform better than any other player on the market.

You are silly.

May 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 795
Headphones are quite a different animal as well.  I trust measureabators even less with headphones.  There's as much art as science in high end audio.  The much beloved JH Audio JH13's do not measure ruler flat.  A ruler flat frequency response would sound terrible.  They are well known to have a rather noticeable bump in very specific area in the bass spectrum.  It was done on purpose by Jerry Harvey since kick drums seem to dominate that particular area of the frequency spectrum.  It's adds the "oomph" to the bass in that area without causing unnecessary distortion. 

I tried firing up my old RME sound card Win XP rig, and it's not going well.  I tried the latest RMAA v.6 on it, and the results weren't pretty with anything I tried.  Something is definitely wrong.  LOL.  I'll have to look into it further.

-Ed

May 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #48 of 795
While I appreciate criticism and those who are skeptic, dfkt really just ends up sounding like a Clip+ fan. His point against UI-functionality are given, but damn, he must've been using porta pros if he isn't hearing a difference. Or has clogged ears as he himself mentioned..
I haven't heard the Sansa, but after long listening to my 160gb classic and Sony A816, the difference is substantial favoring the HM-801. I'm actually hearing this and I was very sceptical towards the upgrade myself first. Couldn't care less about the money involved. Can't lie to myself..
I've been using the srh840s mainly with this player and while I'm longing for better portable cans, can't say that I could ask anything more from a portable player. The on-board amp is not bad when comparing to my voyager, but that's probably because the Shures arent' that amp-dependent but improved by switching to a better source greatly.

Oh, and straight lines don't mean a thing when talking about the ability to play music and make "good sound".

May 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #49 of 795

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to defend a purchase you made? You are an ignorant fanboy whos opinion is purely based on the fact that you refuse to look silly for spending $800 on a brick of a player that doesn't perform better than any other player on the market.

You are silly.

And you know that the HM-801 does not sound any better than other players because you, yourself have listened to them and compared?   Or you're just simply basing your opinion on someone else's, unlike dfkt who took the time to listen, measure, and come up with his very own conclusions?

So which one is it?

May 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #50 of 795

Quote:
While I appreciate criticism and those who are skeptic, dfkt really just ends up sounding like a Clip+ fan. His point against UI-functionality are given, but damn, he must've been using porta pros if he isn't hearing a difference. Or has clogged ears as he himself mentioned..
I haven't heard the Sansa, but after long listening to my 160gb classic and Sony A816, the difference is substantial favoring the HM-801. I'm actually hearing this and I was very sceptical towards the upgrade myself first. Couldn't care less about the money involved. Can't lie to myself..
I've been using the srh840s mainly with this player and while I'm longing for better portable cans, can't say that I could ask anything more from a portable player. The on-board amp is not bad when comparing to my voyager, but that's probably because the Shures arent' that amp-dependent but improved by switching to a better source greatly.

Oh, and straight lines don't mean a thing when talking about the ability to play music and make "good sound".

When you have a chance, try your SRH840's with a Pico Slim and the HM-801.  I was quite surprised at what I heard (good things).  I was skeptical at first, until I heard a friend of mine heard the difference as well.

-Ed

May 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #51 of 795

Quote:
And you know that the HM-801 does not sound any better than other players because you, yourself have listened to them and compared?   Or you're just simply basing your opinion on someone else's, unlike dfkt who took the time to listen, measure, and come up with his very own conclusions?

So which one is it?

I have no opinion on the matter, what i am commenting on is the blind idiocy of those who believe the hifiman is the second coming of Jesus Christ.

dfkt is a skilled and respected reviewer and i trust his opinion when it comes to these issues, i am not basing my opinion on his conclusions but I unlike you respect differing opinions.

If you like the hifi man that's great, but don't act like it is the be all end all like some ignorant shmuck.

May 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #53 of 795

Quote:

I have no opinion on the matter, what i am commenting on is the blind idiocy of those who believe the hifiman is the second coming of Jesus Christ.

dfkt is a skilled and respected reviewer and i trust his opinion when it comes to these issues, i am not basing my opinion on his conclusions but I unlike you respect differing opinions.

If you like the hifi man that's great, but don't act like it is the be all end all like some ignorant shmuck.

Yeah, I like the HifiMan HM-801, but it's not I who is ignorant.  I actually have experience with the HM-801 and other players.  You do not.  So who's ignorant then?  When you have an actual, real opinion get back to us.  Until then, you're just regurgitating others posts without a clue.  Who's the fanboy then?

May 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #54 of 795

Quote:
That's exactly what I was after, a flat DAP ( HiFiMAN ), a flat AMP ( RSA The Protector ) and a flat earphone ( JH13 Pro ). I'm experiencing audio nirvana everyday.
biggrin.gif

For what that gear all cost, it better sound good!
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #55 of 795

Quote:

Yeah, I like the HifiMan HM-801, but it's not I who is ignorant.  I actually have experience with the HM-801 and other players.  You do not.  So who's ignorant then?  When you have an actual, real opinion get back to us.  Until then, you're just regurgitating others posts without a clue.  Who's the fanboy then?

Well said...
smile.gif

May 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #56 of 795
@Fang, 

Post the AA of the 801 unloaded/loaded, with whatever "professional" audio analysis tools that you use, so that way we can see exactly what you mean. 

however, posting the AA of an unrelated product that is neutral under no load at 0.0db while the 801 is not neutral (~0.3db) under no load, and comparing the roll-off is misleading. 

May 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #58 of 795
@Fang, its not a problem but the fact that, the freq response curve is elevated means that theres a sharper roll off for the highs than would normally be associated with a neutral unloaded response. all im saying is that if i can read both (dfkt/nankai) graphs which appear identical, the roll off for the 801 starts at 2kHz, where the 861 that you used a reference earlier began the roll off at 7kHz (unloaded). im just playing devils advocate i have no pony in this race, but if all of our ears are subjective the only objective measurement we have, that we can all observe are these AA results then theres a stark reality when it comes to the fidelity of the device. in the end the conclusion about the 801 is that its up to the listener, however the data would lead me elsewhere. 

edit: thank you for your response btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back