Hifiman HM-801 help
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

musicbased

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, i really hope somebody can help me with this.

I bought a hifiman HM-801 a while ago from somebody on here, and it was all good!-I really loved it, but a couple of weeks ago the headphone port broke so the jack just wobbles about and only has sound sometimes...

I didn't think it was too serious at first, but after lots of emailing, i can't find anyone to repair it here in the UK, as they don't have the parts.

Head direct refuse to help because i don't have a receipt...

So,does anybody know where else or anyone i can contact to send it for a repair?

This was a massive purchase for me, and took me a long time to save up even for a used one, so i'm pretty worried!

Secondly, if i really can't get it repaired, using the line out, what amp would people recommend for recabled er4p?-If i could make a nice home listening setup from it, maybe i wouldn't feel quite so bad!-I love lots of detail, and a bass boost would be nice too...

Please, someone help me!!

Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 68
Another option is to sell it to me, I can count my quarters
biggrin.gif

For line out I prefer Pico Slim.

You mean Head direct won't repair the 801 even if you offer to pay?  Wow, that will depreciate the 801 big time in resale value.  Who dare to buy a use one if it happen to need repair?  Are you sure?

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 68
Yeah i offered to pay, but they wouldn't do it, quote:

"It is mandatory that we receive a transaction page in order to fulfull your request."

"Unless you are purchasing a new product, if you are requesting an upgrade, a replacement, an exchange etc., you are required to send your transaction page to us for reference."

Thanks for the amp recommendation, i will look at that!

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 68
Ok. It looks like there is no way i can get this fixed.

This post was my last hope!-(unless there is still somebody out there who can help?...
triportsad.gif
)

So, same question. Using the line out instead, what amp would you recommend for recabled ER4P, to make a nice home listening setup instead? ...
redface.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 68
What's really bad about this is the fact that if you somehow lose the information you had when you bought the 801 (or 601/602 presumably) you will also be unable to get any sort of service done on the device.  I just purchased a 601 from Headroom and now I'm seriously contemplating returning it before my return window is up since I might not be able to get service done if I lose the information on the device or they decide to change their policy regarding out of warranty devices.  This is very disconcerting...

btw, I sent a message to their customer service asking about out of warranty service from them, and if I get a response saying that their policy is not to offer out of warranty repairs I will likely be sending my purchase back, who wants a device that you can't get fixed out of warranty, especially a specialized audio device without a giant budget for research and development.  I would expect an iPod to last upwards of 5 years, and although I might not expect the same from hifiman, I would at least expect them to fix it (even at my expense if need be) out of warranty.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 68
I wonder why the local electronic shop won't want to repair the jack. As far as I know, HM801 use a very common headphone jack so sourcing a new one should be very easy actually. If they can't find it locally, they can still order it online from Farnell or Mouser. It makes me wonder if those local repairman doesn't want to take this type of job because it doesn't pay enough. Hmm.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 68

Quote:
I wonder why the local electronic shop won't want to repair the jack. As far as I know, HM801 use a very common headphone jack so sourcing a new one should be very easy actually. If they can't find it locally, they can still order it online from Farnell or Mouser. It makes me wonder if those local repairman doesn't want to take this type of job because it doesn't pay enough. Hmm.

Money is not usually the first concern. The problem is, they don't have the service manual; no one wants to break something when opening the device.
I saw some photos from Nankai showing the steps of opening the device. I think I can find those photos for you, if it will help...
I really don't like the situation so far... Have you PM Nanki?

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 68
Service manual? It barely has an official full user manual.... and the whole player is held together with less than 15 screws and the screw driver is actually included in the box. All an repairman needs is a consensus from the owner to take it apart. BTW, the picture of the PCB is on Head-Direct sub-forum, should it be of help.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 68
Deac311, i would be very interested to know how they respond to your question about out of warranty repairs. You do have a receipt though, so i think you will be ok. It seemed to be that as long as you can show them a transaction page, they will help no matter when you bought it. Yeah just make sure you don't lose it!

ClieOS, about the local electronics shops. I contacted all the ones i could find, and all of them wrote back saying they couldn't get the parts so they couldn't do it, except one of them, who said they could repair the jack for £60. So i sent it to them, and it all looked promising until i got an email back saying:

"The Technician has inspected your device and found it requires a new Main Circuit; unfortunately this part is not available, therefore we cannot offer a repair on this occasion."-Very disappointing!

I have no idea if that is true or not, it seems a bit weird just for a headphone jack, but it pretty much leaves me out of options!

It is frustrating to know that it is possible to get it fixed, but the people who can do it won't,even if you offer to pay. 

David1978jp, Thanks for your suggestion, thats a good idea. I will PM Nankai today to see if he can give me any info...

Thanks everyone for your help!

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:
ClieOS, about the local electronics shops. I contacted all the ones i could find, and all of them wrote back saying they couldn't get the parts so they couldn't do it, except one of them, who said they could repair the jack for £60. So i sent it to them, and it all looked promising until i got an email back saying:

"The Technician has inspected your device and found it requires a new Main Circuit; unfortunately this part is not available, therefore we cannot offer a repair on this occasion."-Very disappointing!

I have no idea if that is true or not, it seems a bit weird just for a headphone jack, but it pretty much leaves me out of options!

It is frustrating to know that it is possible to get it fixed, but the people who can do it won't,even if you offer to pay.

If it really need a new PCB, that'll be something really mess up inside beyond a headphone jack (and HM801 only has one PCB, so you are basically replacing the whole player with one PCB replacement -  and this could be expensive). It could very well that the soldering join breaks off and damage the PCB. I think at this points you should wait for Fang (Nankai) reply first. Also, you should ask the seller if (s)he has the Paypal receipt or Credit card receipt or not, which might be useful in your situation.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 68
Thanks ClieOS, i have sent a PM to Nankai, so i hope he will reply soon.
That sounds very bad and expensive if thats what has happened.
After sending it, a new PCB,and return shipping cost plus import tax, i'm already nervous! ...

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 68
Boy, this is a troubling situation. 

It seems as if someone local ought to be able to install a new headphone jack.  Maybe a company like ALO could help you or give you some direction.  Maybe you could order the part and diy?

Head-Direct really seems to be a struggling entity.  Their "Customer Service" seems to be comprised of a single person and she doesn't seem to know very much.  From all accounts, Fang is responsive but a company's customer service should not depend on tracking down a single individual.  They seem to be operating without much business awareness and their unwillingness to fix your 801, even when you offered to pay for the service suggests they may not have much concept of how to build brand loyalty by serving customers and standing behind their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back