Hifiman HM-603
Jul 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:
Theres similarities between that seller and stuff on alibaba.com... I'm staying away from it...
Thanks Jamato.
Suspicious that theyre not being sold by head-direct yet. So these are too good to be true and probably fake.
Also I wouldn't expect any warranty if I bought something from them off ebay...

I doubt there would be any warranty and I doubt at that price it is real unless they were gotten from the back door, which happens. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #47 of 82
Having a used hifiman 603 several month ago. I already have 601 at that time. 603 does offer quite a lot of improvement from it's 601/602 sibling. The most pronounce thing is in it's power department. Coming straight from hm801 department, 603 does have a lot of reserve power. The second is it bass. The bass have more a bit more impact and more quantity than it's predecessor. The highs department , although more detailed and extended than it's sibling, still have the veiled analog feeling hifiman like. The roll off is still there. Imaging is taking a next step further. The overall sound is a very nice musical sound. Because I'm used to 601 sound, I like the sound of the hm 603 when I listen to it. If you not used to listen to HM series before, just forced yourself to listen to it about a day. You'll get used to it, and engulf yourself to it's musical sound capabilities :)

May 28, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #49 of 82
I just bought a brand new HM603 slim from Penonaudio's ebay auction, $160 shipped 
biggrin.gif
 I'm ready for some multibit dac goodness, who needs resolution when you can have musicality 
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #51 of 82
^ The 60X range were never known for their build quality lol. I'm listening to and enjoying my new 603, it's quite enjoyable in it's own right, it's a nice change from the sound of modern dap's. Anyone know what the latest firmware is for the 603 slim? Mine came with fw 0.7.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #56 of 82
Here's the mod I did. I change the original LT opamp with opa627 opamp using adapter.
The sounds really great. trade off with a bit decreased bass thump and decreased battery live.

But you can change the battery too with higher capacity.
Here's the battery dimension

2800mAh

Thickness 7.5mm, Widht=55mm, Lenght=60mm

Here's the mod

This is the original board with the opamp that I was replacing

Here's the adapter for opamp OPA627, since opa627 is single channel, whilst the opamp we replace is dual

Here's the final mod

Beware, HM60x series has really bad build quality. Be careful when screwing/unscrew the bolt. Don't too tight. Otherwise it will get loose.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #57 of 82
I would easily go for the hm650 over hm603slim, I have the latter and while it certainly sounds unique it cant compete on sq with other daps over $200.

Perhaps I should've added some context. I've got several DAPs. I'm looking to add in a HFM DAP with "classic HFM sound", and the HM603S and HM650 are very good deals right now. Does that change your recommendation to go with HM650?

You really should try the mod I did for 603. Really improve it's sound. Trade off with a little decreased bass thump

What's the mod?

Nevermind. You beat me to the punch :wink_face:

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #58 of 82
Perhaps I should've added some context. I've got several DAPs. I'm looking to add in a HFM DAP with "classic HFM sound", and the HM603S and HM650 are very good deals right now. Does that change your recommendation to go with HM650?
What's the mod?

Nevermind. You beat me to the punch
wink_face.gif

HM650 has hybrid sound from the newer 901 sound with the 60x sound. You have elevated detailed high and soundstage, yet still have the sweet mid and touch of analog vocal like the 60x series but without the roll off treble and some might say veiled sound.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #59 of 82
HM650 has hybrid sound from the newer 901 sound with the 60x sound. You have elevated detailed high and soundstage, yet still have the sweet mid and touch of analog vocal like the 60x series but without the roll off treble and some might say veiled sound.

You're not making it any easier :wink_face:

Might try to get both :blink:

Wife will not be happy :eek:

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #60 of 82
You're not making it any easier
wink_face.gif

Might try to get both
blink.gif

Wife will not be happy
eek.gif

The HM650 does sound good. I actually like it. But i have to let it go. Mind you.. it has propetiary charging connector and line out. Not to mention the battery only last around 5-6 hours if playing Hi res file. And you have to carry the you can't call small charger block... sigh....

If Hifiman back to it's senses and releases HM650 with normal LO and normal charging port I will reconsider but it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back