HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Feb 18, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #346 of 673
I understand the reflections part (except that it might take a lot of tries to get it right with damping material I can imagine).  But for the overall sound reproduction:  wouldn't it be possible to do before/after hardware modification measurements over the frequency range and then to construct an equalizer 'profile' function that could be loaded into software?  Granted, that won't happen with my Amarra equaliser which allows for the changing of a finite and limited number of frequencies, the attenuation and the Q (which I understand to be the distribution or 'smearing' of the dialled-in attenuation over frequencies surrounding the targeted frequency) but I can imagine professional gear and qualified operators to be able to achieve this?  Would surely take more work to establish than a single empirical modification but once -if it can be done- you have it, it's just a matter of distributing the profile.  

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #347 of 673
  I understand the reflections part (except that it might take a lot of tries to get it right with damping material I can imagine).  But for the overall sound reproduction:  wouldn't it be possible to do before/after hardware modification measurements over the frequency range and then to construct an equalizer 'profile' function that could be loaded into software?  Granted, that won't happen with my Amarra equaliser which allows for the changing of a finite and limited number of frequencies, the attenuation and the Q (which I understand to be the distribution or 'smearing' of the dialled-in attenuation over frequencies surrounding the targeted frequency) but I can imagine professional gear and qualified operators to be able to achieve this?  Would surely take more work to establish than a single empirical modification but once -if it can be done- you have it, it's just a matter of distributing the profile.  

You can, but that still doesn't deal with distortion and the like. 

Look at this:

What you see is 2 resonances, 1 at 4kHz and one at 7.5 kHz. This is the beyer t70 btw.

You can fix the very hot treble with the equalizer, but you can't fix the 2 resonances. Just one example..

Simply put, you can't EQ in the time domain. You can't EQ distortion away either.

What about this severe bass distortion of k701?

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #348 of 673
Ah, of course....time.  Totally overlooked that.  Thanks for explaining!

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #349 of 673
Yes what you say is true. But modding does change things . But I would make a assumption that before a headphone is released to sell a barrage of chNges to make it more appealing are done. And given some companies like a sennheiser have millions invested in research and testing. So given all products have consessetions I choose to EQ a little to make it more custom for me. Modding headphones makes many changes not just the one you are looking for. And most all here have no way other than to hear what changed with the music we have or know. And as the music changes so does the needs to what we modded. That is the point I am making. I had someone at my office over the weekend and we both have the hd800 and he 6. Mine were not modded. His hd800 were , and I do not what mod was done. The pint is they sounded vailed not correct. He failed to tell me they were modded and when I put mine on wow it's sounded so much better. The point is mods change the whole headphone sound instead of just trying to rid a painful peak.

Does this sound like a better idea now .

Al

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #351 of 673
I am not saying it's no good to try , I am saying there is no correct way to accomplish a mod , just like EQ . Only with EQ
It is so much more detailed in adjusting. EQ is fast and simple. Modding is time consuming and very detailed of how you do it. And in the end you are the only judge . And when the next person does it how can we be sure it's the same.
EQ is a db up,or down. We all can do the same.
My purpose here was for people to post there EQ setting s for other to try. That's all.

I very much would like the audeze pads on my he 6 they look cool and would feel better. But I would rather just leave them alone and play in other ways. Just my choice .

Al

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #352 of 673
For both the HE-400 and the HE-4 I use a slight treble roll-off. Take about 3dB from 16kHz and 2dB from 8kHz for the HE-4. Take away a little more than that for the HE-400. Never EQ'd the HE-500.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #353 of 673
Know about CSD (waterfall plots) and distortion figures? EQ can't help that..

Lol, be glad you weren't here when hifimanrookie raved about his evil one :p  (no offence)

Not to be a a pain in the ass or something..but U DO KNOW xenophon has my amp now right? And he uses him to drive his he 6,

So ALL i said in the past, as u call it 'raving about', is all true... it hurts right? when something turns out to be the hard truth and u were wrong..so wrong.. No pun intended ofcourse :xf_eek: but i understand u will be listening to a standard 339 soon? Well..maybe just maybe u will be surprised.. Dont know what tubes that amp will have and i know the 339 sounds a bit warmer then a 337 and a tad slower i understand from ultrainferno who listened to my 337 and owns a 339 himself.
Just Ask xenophon...my modded 337 was/is better then anyone expects...a modded one.. U should listen to it if u had the chance..maybe u then would buy one too for ur he500..and then mod the hell out of it :wink:

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #354 of 673
(To those on the US East coast, don't laugh) It's still bloody cold here, temperatures should normally be about 30 centigrade during daytime but we barely hit 20.  I have my AC in heating mode if you can believe it.  I've gotten used to the heat here after 6 years, coming back to Europe in september (for a couple of years I hope) will be grim. But I've got an F3-amp coming up that will do very nicely as a space heater.  Pity that the DV 337 AND my HE-6 are in Europe right now (HE-6 without proper amp is just not a good idea and regrettably, all my good gear is  heavy and/or fragile so I have to make do with my HE-500 and a puny O2 dac/amp).  How are things with your blue circle and what is it exactly that you're getting?

Well..its still not here..as u know its solely handmade by the owner and senior engineer of blue circle audio..but while i am waiting i keep on adding/upgrading stuff that he comes up with (see my stats) :D
Hope i will get it all (5 components in total) second week of march.. :xf_eek:

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #355 of 673
It should be pretty epic when you do finally get it! I might have a day with my HE 4 and hm801 today. my 4pin xlr to 6pin Hirose arrived today. Non the less

my funds have vanished recently and I'm wondering if I still am going to get a new cable for my HE 4... I think I will... 

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #356 of 673
hey guys,
I'm interested in purchasing an HE-400 for listening to EDM music (90% EDM and 10% afro and pop/commercial), can you suggest me if I have to go ahead with grabbing HE-400 or the extra paying for HE-500 worth the money?
Because I've a limited budget :frowning2:

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #357 of 673
  hey guys,
I'm interested in purchasing an HE-400 for listening to EDM music (90% EDM and 10% afro and pop/commercial), can you suggest me if I have to go ahead with grabbing HE-400 or the extra paying for HE-500 worth the money?
Because I've a limited budget :frowning2:

HE-4.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #358 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #359 of 673
True, if you truly cannot afford the he500 you could shoot for the he-4, or wait for the he-400i.

The he4 together with the he6 must be longest model in production in the hifiman range..and knowing they will kill the he500 one day soon i expect the he4 to be next on the killing block..as sad it may sound. :xf_eek:
Or get a secind hand he5 or he5le if u can get ur hands on one :wink:

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #360 of 673
The he4 together with the he6 must be longest model in production in the hifiman range..and knowing they will kill the he500 one day soon i expect the he4 to be next on the killing block..as sad it may sound. :xf_eek:
That doesn't matter, why does everyone seem to think that just because something isn't in production that it's inferior, like seriously What? He-4 has great reviews and I believe it would beat the he-400 at its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back