HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #181 of 2,647
I recently got the he6se v2 from adorama and been enjoying it so far. I am experimenting with different type of amp. I have been using headphone out from my integrated amp yamaha a-s801 https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S801SL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00N30M2DW. I also been AB testing with THX 887 and honestly i cant really tell any difference between the two. I been reading and seem like consensus that headphone out on integrated amp usually dont perform as well as their speaker out counterpart. I am thinking about trying speaker tap but wasnt sure if it worth the effort and the risk, since I never done speaker tap before and dont want to destroy my new headphone. Anyone have any insight?

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #182 of 2,647
On the budget front of the amplifier scene, here is the lowdown on the amps for the HifiMan HE6se V2;

Schiit Magni - NO
Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - NO
JDS Labs Atom - YES! This little gem kept up with the Singxer SA-1 on some attributes. Slightly less resolution and less open of course but it drove them pretty darn close. Definitely performed admirably for a budget amp. The HE6se is the first headphone to have me pick this amp over the other budget amps.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #183 of 2,647
I recently got the he6se v2 from adorama and been enjoying it so far. I am experimenting with different type of amp. I have been using headphone out from my integrated amp yamaha a-s801 https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S801SL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00N30M2DW. I also been AB testing with THX 887 and honestly i cant really tell any difference between the two. I been reading and seem like consensus that headphone out on integrated amp usually dont perform as well as their speaker out counterpart. I am thinking about trying speaker tap but wasnt sure if it worth the effort and the risk, since I never done speaker tap before and dont want to destroy my new headphone. Anyone have any insight?
Do you Love what you are hearing? Or is it just OK or good?
If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #184 of 2,647
Hey guys quick question.Did anyone NOT get a HiFiMan User Manual with the Adorama?
I got cans,cable w/SE adaptor & Warranty Card but don't see a manual?Thanks much..
Edit:found it,no hard manual,download only..
share the download link?

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #185 of 2,647
I do have a current EQ that works for me (rev ~647) for my v1 (no v2 yet). If you would take a look at the 4 letter site on the HE-6 w/ about 10 pads tested you can see that the pads alone make a huge difference. Our equipment is different. Cables. You don't have my mods. The chances my formula works for you is nil.

However I will give you something much more useful. How I got here. Used Oratory for a baseline (and promptly dumped the recommended bass settings - (I have commented on this wrong headed idiocy elsewhere). Cut all + and - you have in half. Toss out anything under .5db. Look for a waterfall plot where the ringing is worst. My guess ~4.25kHz and ~9kHz. Neither should be set less then -3db on the EQ. You'll be close at this point. Isolate each one and change, then do adjacent pairs.

Let us know.
haven't used Oratory before, I'll look into it (checking it now actually) - thanks! always love learning something new..

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #186 of 2,647
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #187 of 2,647
I’m using Roon’s parametric EQ which gives me very fine control if needed - is there an EQ profile you like and can share? (realizing my ears will be different, but may be nice to have a starting point to test out)

I do think you are all onto something - my source amp is probably, for the first time, not up to the job… the most plausible explanation

that said, are there any pads you recommend with the seV2?
I do have a current EQ that works for me (rev ~647) for my v1 (no v2 yet). If you would take a look at the 4 letter site on the HE-6 w/ about 10 pads tested you can see that the pads alone make a huge difference. Our equipment is different. Cables. You don't have my mods. The chances my formula works for you is nil.

However I will give you something much more useful. How I got here. Used Oratory for a baseline (and promptly dumped the recommended bass settings - (I have commented on this wrong headed idiocy elsewhere). Look for a waterfall plot where the

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #188 of 2,647
On the budget front of the amplifier scene, here is the lowdown on the amps for the HifiMan HE6se V2;

Schiit Magni - NO
Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - NO
JDS Labs Atom - YES! This little gem kept up with the Singxer SA-1 on some attributes. Slightly less resolution and less open of course but it drove them pretty darn close. Definitely performed admirably for a budget amp. The HE6se is the first headphone to have me pick this amp over the other budget amps.
JDS Atom driving any HE-6*? Whats it put out at 50 ohs? About .7 wpc. No. Can't believe it. According to everyone here the 6's need 2 wpc @ 50 ohms minimum. I feed the HE-6 and HE-6se v1 15 wpc @ 50 ohms, and that's enough. My advice is 4 wpc at 50 ohms - of Class A power.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #189 of 2,647
haven't used Oratory before, I'll look into it (checking it now actually) - thanks! always love learning something new..
My 6se v1 needs a raise at 35 Hz +2.4 db at a Q of 1.1 - far less then the nutty settings on Oratory.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #190 of 2,647
JDS Atom driving any HE-6*? No. Can't believe it. All the 6's need 2 wpc @ 50 ohms minimum. I feed the HE-6 and HE-6se v1 15 wpc @ 50 ohms, and that's enough.
Yeah, I should probably clarify my mess. I wouldn't use the JDS Labs Atom. I also wouldn't use the Singxer SA-1.

However, if someone only owns the JDS Labs Atom amplifier already, it surprisingly heads towards the direction of the Singxer SA-1 in performance at probably seventy percent of the performance at only $100. In other words don't upgrade to a Singxer SA-1 from the JDS Labs Atom for the HE6se V2. Minimal improvement and a lot of wasted money. I only recommend the four amplifiers that I enjoyed from my write up that I linked to; Questyle CMA Twelve, Rebel Audio RebelAmp, Schiit Jotunheim 2, and Schiit Jotunheim 1. I don't recommend any other amplifiers from my write up as they were not up to the task.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #191 of 2,647
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #193 of 2,647
I'll be joining the club pretty soon as I've bought a used pair from a fellow enthousiast. It should arrive next week.

Anybody here replaced their Sundara with the HE6se? I wonder if the flavours are different enough to keep both.
I have kept both. However, the HE6se V2 paired with the RebelAmp headphone amplifier spanks the Sundara. The Sundara is not too amp dependent, so it remains a viable good sounding choice for budget minded enthusiasts that don't have a headphone amp or are working with a $100 entry level amp. If one owns both, perhaps the Sundara becomes an office or vacation headphone playing from a phone or dap.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #194 of 2,647
I have kept both. However, the HE6se V2 paired with the RebelAmp headphone amplifier spanks the Sundara. The Sundara is not too amp dependent, so it remains a viable good sounding choice for budget minded enthusiasts that don't have a headphone amp or are working with a $100 entry level amp. If one owns both, perhaps the Sundara becomes an office or vacation headphone playing from a phone or dap.
Which is brighter/harsher or less forgiving of music?

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #195 of 2,647
Thanks for the input!
I love my Sundara and the prospect of having another pair that spanks it is very... interesting lol.
But I'm afraid I have to buy a new amp (THX 789 probably). Topping L30 may not be enough, but I'll try the pairing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back