HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
May 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,206 of 2,647
I will say also that @bagwell359 mentioned some of these issues with the 500 and I never noticed them - they sounded perfect to me and were my favorite. It was only after I got my 6SE and spent enough time adjusting to this new sound that I can now hear that the 500 isn't "quite" as amazing as before. :)

They still do their thing and I love their sound too but the 6SE is simply, masterful.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #2,207 of 2,647
I recently scored a good deal on another modern monster receiver, the Onkyo SR875. 160W@8ohms, and it has a bloody massive toroidal transformer at the front:

The transformer itself has got to weigh 40 pounds, let alone the rest of the receiver also being pretty tanky.

I took some DC offset measurements yesterday to see what kind of shape it's in, across all 7 channels the highest offset was 15mV. So, it may be 15 years old, but it still measures basically like new. *chef's kiss*

Hooked up my HE6se V2 via a speaker-tap-to-4-pin-XLR adapter I made, did some quick testing, sounds tremendous. Pretty much the only complaint I've ever heard about this receiver is that it tends to run very hot, but that might be if you're powering all 7 channels. Powering just two channels, temps were typical for me.

Excited to put this head-to-head against my other monster Onkyo, the NR727. The DC offset on my NR727 is more like 50mV, which isn't bad, but it's not 15mV, so I may keep the 875 and sell the 727 on that basis alone.

Either way, both of these receivers only cost me about $150 each, so they're phenomenal ways to power the HE6se V2 for cheap.

Ultimately, I'd love to pick up a good vintage receiver from the days of the wattage wars, namely I've got my eyes on getting a Luxman R-117 if I can find one recently restored for a good price. But until then, either one of these two monster Onkyos will do juuuuuuuuuust fine. And I wouldn't be surprised if the value on these shoots up as they age into "vintage" status, as well. Just good ol' brute-force audio.
No question that planars (speakers and headphones) really take on authority when they have lots of reserve power, even if you never get close to using it. Unless you are a collector of vintage stuff and/or handy with repairs, I would not recommend folks to be buying amps/int amps/receivers from before 1995 due to cap issues (dry/leak) because they are throw aways in most part - and could kill your cans also if they flame out.

But a lot of the better Class AB discrete equipment as those Onkyo/Denon/etc. types for ridiculous prices are a fine alternative to the current crop of desktops. Not painful to toss, and not painful to buy.

My Denon whatever from about 1985 just croaked quietly, no reason to fool with it, since my list of mods/repairs on deck is already too long. So, back to the to the boards to find a $150ish boat anchor!

Plus your new toy is running cool because its just running above "ON".

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,208 of 2,647
Just my .02 regarding cables, if you are going single ended then a great inexpensive option is Performance Audio. You just have to make sure you choose the Rean NYS226 connectors for the headphone side, as the Amphenol & Canare connectors don't work with the recessed plugs on the V2. If using a TRS on the amp side I'd also recommend the Neutrik NP3X over the other available options. Just be sure to match the metal type on both the amp and headphone sides (gold to gold, or knickel to knickel-- I'd recommend the gold).

The overall sound is warm, rich, and full. Perhaps even a bit too full. If you are comfortable with soldering then you can replace the amp side connector with an Aeco pure copper TRS. That opens up the sound stage compared to the Neutrik, and adds more clarity really balancing the sound out wonderfully.

-- Edited to remove pad discussion. Giving more time before recommending pads as I'm having a good time experimenting.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,209 of 2,647
I will say also that @bagwell359 mentioned some of these issues with the 500 and I never noticed them - they sounded perfect to me and were my favorite. It was only after I got my 6SE and spent enough time adjusting to this new sound that I can now hear that the 500 isn't "quite" as amazing as before. :)

They still do their thing and I love their sound too but the 6SE is simply, masterful.
I still prefer the 500 for the 'life' I feel like it has vs the 6se's steadiness, but agreed that the 6se does offer greater refinement.

May 3, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #2,210 of 2,647
HE-6 SE v1 stock is good? My stock cable and the twin I got with the HEX v2 are not up to snuff sonically and they are not trouble free in terms of handling them physically. What have you compared them with in a blind AB?
No A/B test. My way doing cable things is just pluging in and listening to all my favorite tracks/albums which i know by heart. 6SE v1 + stock cable so far (one week) are so good, could not stop listening to my favorite tracks (midnight every day). HD800S with silver cable also did the same, almost reached perfection untill the 6SE v1 which added noticeable and impactful 'weight' to the music.

May 3, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,211 of 2,647
I still prefer the 500 for the 'life' I feel like it has vs the 6se's steadiness, but agreed that the 6se does offer greater refinement.
By 500, i was thinking to get a feel of the legendary HE-6. 500 is probably the closest thing to it and still affordable.

May 3, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #2,212 of 2,647
Just my .02 regarding cables, if you are going single ended then a great inexpensive option is Performance Audio. You just have to make sure you choose the Rean NYS226 connectors for the headphone side, as the Amphenol & Canare connectors don't work with the recessed plugs on the V2. If using a TRS on the amp side I'd also recommend the Neutrik NP3X over the other available options. Just be sure to match the metal type on both the amp and headphone sides (gold to gold, or knickel to knickel-- I'd recommend the gold).

The overall sound is warm, rich, and full. Perhaps even a bit too full. If you are comfortable with soldering then you can replace the amp side connector with an Aeco pure copper TRS. That opens up the sound stage compared to the Neutrik, and adds more clarity really balancing the sound out wonderfully.

Regarding pads, +1 to @bagwell359 recommendation of the DCA Ether and Voce angled pads. I was quite happy with my V2's then I tried an old HE-400 and heard how much more alive they sounded comparatively. Another head fi member once said that the newer Hifimans sound 'more sterile' compared to the old, and I agree. I wanted the old hifiman sound in the V2's, so I started down the path of grill mods and along the way got those DCA pads. The pads fixed the issue, the V2's sound more alive then before and are much more enjoyable to me. I'm still planning on doing some grill mods, but I'm quite happy with those pads.
Definitely will try some of the cables/pads you mentioned. These will be my projects for a while 😀😀

May 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,213 of 2,647
No A/B test. My way doing cable things is just pluging in and listening to all my favorite tracks/albums which i know by heart. 6SE v1 + stock cable so far (one week) are so good, could not stop listening to my favorite tracks (midnight every day). HD800S with silver cable also did the same, almost reached perfection untill the 6SE v1 which added noticeable and impactful 'weight' to the music.
Thats cool, but how do you know it's a good cable? Now that's my opinion. It's also my opinion that the hierarchy of changes to improve sound is:

1. Parametric EQ
2. Pad change AND rear screens off/space maximized) - they enhance each other

3. dynamat to cut bass vibrations
4. fuzzor mod (much less key than for OG HE-6 or 500 which its my #1 ahead of EQ and pads/screen, but still a plus
5. cable change to DIY O2 free or better

May 3, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,214 of 2,647
By 500, i was thinking to get a feel of the legendary HE-6. 500 is probably the closest thing to it and still affordable.
500 is as often stated a lot easier to drive (but still not good < 2 wpc @50 ohms). It's also got the midrange featured a bit, but better than the small slightly V shaped OG 6. Also the OG 6 has a very pointed almost brash treble - seems much more defined, which it is, but also more fatiguing. The bass impact however is 4 aces for the OG 6, and two pair (jacks and 6's) for the 500. Nice, but not dynamic under 35 Hz, and with that slight over warmth (Q more than ideal) in the mid bass. EQ, dynamat, pads gives you maybe Kings and 10's, but not in same class as the OG 6 bass impact which is justifiably legendary.

May 3, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,215 of 2,647
500 is as often stated a lot easier to drive (but still not good < 2 wpc @50 ohms). It's also got the midrange featured a bit, but better than the small slightly V shaped OG 6. Also the OG 6 has a very pointed almost brash treble - seems much more defined, which it is, but also more fatiguing. The bass impact however is 4 aces for the OG 6, and two pair (jacks and 6's) for the 500. Nice, but not dynamic under 35 Hz, and with that slight over warmth (Q more than ideal) in the mid bass. EQ, dynamat, pads gives you maybe Kings and 10's, but not in same class as the OG 6 bass impact which is justifiably legendary.
more like wine tasting....😀

May 3, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #2,216 of 2,647
Thats cool, but how do you know it's a good cable? Now that's my opinion. It's also my opinion that the hierarchy of changes to improve sound is:

1. Parametric EQ
2. Pad change AND rear screens off/space maximized) - they enhance each other

3. dynamat to cut bass vibrations
4. fuzzor mod (much less key than for OG HE-6 or 500 which its my #1 ahead of EQ and pads/screen, but still a plus
5. cable change to DIY O2 free or better
So, for a guy that is very happy with his stock (except for Dekoni Nuggets and grill mod) V2's, do you think I would be impressed with the different pads? If so, which ones exactly?
The Dekoni pads are stupid expensive in Canada.

Thanks.

May 3, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,217 of 2,647
So, for a guy that is very happy with his stock (except for Dekoni Nuggets and grill mod) V2's, do you think I would be impressed with the different pads? If so, which ones exactly?
The Dekoni pads are stupid expensive in Canada.

Thanks.
DCA Ether and VOCE Angled Lambskin period. Ironic that the Voce is my favorite can bar none...

For all: To really ignite them, take the rear grills off. If worried, or cats or kids around - get those pretty hex jobs with more open space.

No fan of fenestrated, fabric, or glued on pads with these - leather angled please. Now go figure I dislike the lambskin ZMF's Ori's worse of all 14 pads I've tried. Miniscule stage size, blumpy mid bass, depressed low treble - 2 samples. Rancideous.

May 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,218 of 2,647
DCA Ether and VOCE Angled Lambskin period. Ironic that the Voce is my favorite can bar none...

For all: To really ignite them, take the rear grills off. If worried, or cats or kids around - get those pretty hex jobs with more open space.

No fan of fenestrated, fabric, or glued on pads with these - leather angled please. Now go figure I dislike the lambskin ZMF's Ori's worse of all 14 pads I've tried. Miniscule stage size, blumpy mid bass, depressed low treble - 2 samples. Rancideous.
Thank you. And do I need connectors or rings? I have never tried to pull these pads off.

May 3, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2,219 of 2,647
Thank you. And do I need connectors or rings? I have never tried to pull these pads off.
Yeah, rings, get two pair if you expect to try others, and have pads others on hand.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #2,220 of 2,647
I just wanted to chime in on the 500 vs. 6SE thing - the HE-500 runs great off my Macbook M1 headphone out port.

It sounds fantastic without any additional amplification and volume is good too.

HE 6SE is not versatile in that way - you get no volume if you try and run it that way - gives a nice advantage to the 500 as I'm not TIED to my desktop setup.

The 6SE is actually one of the only headphones I've had you really cannot use integrated as there isn't any volume.

Absolutely amazing headphones, but they have their requirement for power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back