Hifiman HE6-SE
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,996 of 3,876
I ordered these off Amazon. They arrived today. Now I'm just waiting for my "lost" HE6 SEv2 headphones to arrive...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7S4ZK9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_C0DVWZJ4WSB2FZJMYD0R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dekoni Audio Memory Foam Replacement Ear Pads Compatible with HiFiMan Sundara, HE400i Headphones and More (Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin)​

If worse comes to worse I can always just throw them onto my Sundaras and see if I like them!
I find on most open headphones, fenestrated pads significantly lower the bottom end and increase treble. Interesting fit on Audeze, not so much hifiman.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,998 of 3,876
Seems I'm out of luck... Local post office called me to let me know that they can't find my package, and that I should open a claim. No HE6 SEv2 for me. (They're out of stock again at HiFiMan.) Though a very nice lady at HiFiMan said to give it a couple of weeks, as this happens all the time, and if the post office still can't find my package, that they'll work with me, which I truly appreciated!

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,999 of 3,876
Seems I'm out of luck... Local post office called me to let me know that they can't find my package, and that I should open a claim. No HE6 SEv2 for me. (They're out of stock again at HiFiMan.) Though a very nice lady at HiFiMan said to give it a couple of weeks, as this happens all the time, and if the post office still can't find my package, that they'll work with me, which I truly appreciated!
They are on sale for 599 @ adorama right now.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,000 of 3,876
Does anyone know where I can buy a Yoke kit to convert the se2 into a audeze suspension headband? I can buy the headband and rods but no kit to be seen.
I haven’t seen any yoke kits around maybe try contacting a local Audeze dealer.

FYI: My friend loved the V2 headband, I got hurting hotspot. Liked the V1 headband better. And the OG HE6 I liked even more. Here are AliExpress links to V1 and OG HE6 style headband that fits the HE6SE.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqfO5PD
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMVrcP5

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,002 of 3,876
Bought from the links I posted, no issues here. Takes 3-4 weeks with postage tough

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #2,006 of 3,876
Adorama has the HE6 SE V2 for 599 now and I just bought one. Can't wait to try it.

It is such a great headphone whatever the price.

You can’t really find fault to him: very balanced, lifelike sounding, nothing standout, a great sense of rythm and dynamics (but never tiring) so music can be enjoyed without frustration, quick bass, soundstage above average but not so big to the point that music becomes etheral (hd800s, he1000 v2).

Properly amped it is a wonderful headphone because it is so good at everything with no obvious missing points.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,007 of 3,876
Is the HE6SE a substantial upgrade to my Sundara?

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,008 of 3,876
Sep 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,009 of 3,876
Just thought I would share my "adventure" with the HE-6SE V2...may help someone with their HE6SE V2 adventure...your mileage may vary.

Not a "true" audiophile...just like to listen and enjoy music of all kinds...jazz, classical, musicals, operas, KPOP, classic rock, hip hop, old school, heavy metal, etc, etc...you get the idea. I'm not a "technical" listener so I don't understand charts and don't look at them because I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyways. Tried to get into eq but because I don't understand charts and don't have the patience to understand the different bands and etc, I don't use it.

I've been using the HE-6SE V2 for about three weeks now with the Geshelli JNOG DAC to Liquid Platinum, Audio GD Compass 2, and IFI Zen Can. I've recently hooked up the headphones to my Music Hall integrated amp using speaker taps.

Prior to hooking the headphones up to the Music Hall, I was ready to send these back. Each of the 3 headphone amps had their strengths and weaknesses and it was a hit or music depending on the music I was listening to. One was better with rock and metal, but weak on hip hop or bass was missing. Another was great with hip hop and bass music, but weak with everything else. I was playing musical chairs with the headphone amps and the music I was listening too.

Then I tried different pads...Dekoni Elite sheepskin for Fostex X00 with the attenuation ring was recommended. Listening experience improved, but still not an improvement over what I already had...he-500, senn hd-650, Emu Teaks, Gold Planar GL2000, etc. Besides they were fatiguing to me after about 15 minutes...had to adjust every few minutes because of the leather sticking to my skin feeling was bothersome to me. Other pads weren't better than the Dekonis to me...only tried two others. The original pads were the most comfortable to me but the musical experience was better with the dekonis and the headphone amps.

Original headband is comfortable for my big head. Much better than the HE500...pressure on the top because the headband is too small for my big head.

Like I mentioned before, I was going to send these back to Hifiman since I was still in the 30 day return window. Since I had a couple of weeks to return, I ordered the pieces I needed for the speaker tap to the Music Hall. This amp powers my desktop JBL 530s and both are awesome for my desktop setup. Since the amp will be doing double duty, I also bought a splitter box that has a A/B output switch, mute button, and volume control. I'm also going to hook up the headphones without the switch box just to see if it makes a difference at a later time.

WOW what a difference. From my experience, it's NOT a volume thing...but rather the quality of the power you put into these headphones. With the Geshelli DAC on "High" gain - The IFI (balanced)is loud enough...gain on the 2nd level (6db) is plenty loud enough for me but the audio experience (quality?) is like night and day compared to the Music Hall. Liquid Plat (balanced) is also loud enough - volume knob at 4PM - but the amp gives me a much better musical, audio experience...same with the Compass 2.

What is the difference? Please excuse my lack of description: The highs are "tamed"? No "shrills" at the highs that I experienced with headphone amps. Bass is much cleaner and stronger. Separation is more distinctive. Stage is more "3d" like? Vocals are "comparable" to the HE500. Much improved and a HUGE step up in overall experience. Not play musical chairs anymore with the amps and pads.

Needless to say I'll be keeping HE-6SE V2 now but they'll be hooked up to my Music Hall...or until I get the itch to try/buy the FLUX - heard great things about the amp.

I did take the original grills off and put in my DIY "open" grills. Bought a grill sheet for cars and cut them using scissors and original grills as template...I think my grills may be a little too thick for the rings that go on top of the grills, so I don't use the rings...just the grill. Hasn't fallen out yet.

Hopefully this will help someone with their experience/adventure with these headphones.

(Not going to proof read or check for mistakes so forgive any mistakes you see on this post.)

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,010 of 3,876
I haven’t seen any yoke kits around maybe try contacting a local Audeze dealer.

FYI: My friend loved the V2 headband, I got hurting hotspot. Liked the V1 headband better. And the OG HE6 I liked even more. Here are AliExpress links to V1 and OG HE6 style headband that fits the HE6SE.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqfO5PD
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMVrcP5

He6se is one of those headphones that are more enjoyable the less of a seal you got. Much like the abyss flagship. These lohb strap setups would increase the clamp and be unideal in my opinion.
The headband it comes with holds the cups stably in position, minimizing clamping.

I would ideally find a novel headband like a Verum-1 mkii headband or a abyss headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back