Hifiman HE6-SE
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,771 of 3,880
Still haven't heard the v2. The v1 has better instrument definition/speed than my very modd'ed HE-500. However the sound stage width and depth is well behind the 500. It's easily the worst thing about them. They are softer/easier to listen to than the HE-6 six screw. They need EQ - that hole around 1750 Hz is ridiculous. The bass isn't nearly as impactful as the 6 screw on transients.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,772 of 3,880
I love my V2, but after hearing a number of people say they prefer the OG, I decided to see what I'm missing and bought a pair of near mint used HE-6. They are shipping from the other side of the Atlantic, I'm excited to hear them and compare them to the V2 with my Ragnarok 2. It seemed like the only way to kill the FOMO.

After I've spent some time with them, I'll likely have either an OG HE-6 or HE6SEV2 to sell here.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,773 of 3,880
I love my V2, but after hearing a number of people say they prefer the OG, I decided to see what I'm missing and bought a pair of near mint used HE-6. They are shipping from the other side of the Atlantic, I'm excited to hear them and compare them to the V2 with my Ragnarok 2. It seemed like the only way to kill the FOMO.

After I've spent some time with them, I'll likely have either an OG HE-6 or HE6SEV2 to sell here.
Can you try to compare bass slam of the OG HE6 with just holding the drivers of HE6SE a few millimetres over your ear?

I had the OG before, and the first thing I noticed missing on the HE6SE was the slam, but after some experiments (sealed the ear pads, deeper pads…) I realised that the slam was hitting much harder whenever I removed the headphones. And just "hovering” the drivers over my ears gave me some resemblance of my memory on the OG slam.

I went with installing permanent fixed “bass port” to the plastic that hold the ear pads in place. Just used some empty wire insulation, 3 ports was my sweet spot, you can try with 1 or 2 first and see. When I applied some low shelf EQ, the slam was as good or better in my memory compared to the OG.
4 ports was to much with EQ and experienced some diaphragm “flapping” (hitting magnets because it moved to great distance)

Easy to check if you like it before going on with the mod, just “hover” the drivers over you ears.

39B47AB4-8EEF-4402-98B3-7E76C8C294EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,774 of 3,880
Can you try to compare bass slam of the OG HE6 with just holding the drivers of HE6SE a few millimetres over your ear?

I had the OG before, and the first thing I noticed missing on the HE6SE was the slam, but after some experiments (sealed the ear pads, deeper pads…) I realised that the slam was hitting much harder whenever I removed the headphones. And just "hovering” the drivers over my ears gave me some resemblance of my memory on the OG slam.

I went with installing permanent fixed “bass port” to the plastic that hold the ear pads in place. Just used some empty wire insulation, 3 ports was my sweet spot, you can try with 1 or 2 first and see. When I applied some low shelf EQ, the slam was as good or better in my memory compared to the OG.
4 ports was to much with EQ and experienced some diaphragm “flapping” (hitting magnets because it moved to great distance)

Easy to check if you like it before going on with the mod, just “hover” the drivers over you ears.

Yeah, I've been intrigued with your bass port mod. Which pads did you do that with? I've not removed the pads before, and I'm not sure the mechanism that holds them in place. I might practice with a pair of HE-4XX I have here. I'll definitely try that when the OG arrive.

I've definitely noticed after reading your posts that when I hold the SEV2 a bit away from my head, the bass seems more impactful. Does your bass port technique damage/stretch the pads in any way?

I'm trying to get something that works great without EQ, since I split time listening between digital and analog sources.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,775 of 3,880
Yeah, I've been intrigued with your bass port mod. Which pads did you do that with? I've not removed the pads before, and I'm not sure the mechanism that holds them in place. I might practice with a pair of HE-4XX I have here. I'll definitely try that when the OG arrive.

I've definitely noticed after reading your posts that when I hold the SEV2 a bit away from my head, the bass seems more impactful. Does your bass port technique damage/stretch the pads in any way?

I'm trying to get something that works great without EQ, since I split time listening between digital and analog sources.
It's not uncommon that moving drivers ever so slightly further away from your ears can boost/pronounce the perception of bass, but I did notice this happening in very favourable ways with the HE6se. As such, I've just ordered a much thicker pair of pads to see how this might change the sound signature. I'll report back once I have my replacement headphones and the pads have arrived.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,776 of 3,880

Nice! Look forward for your comparison!

The pads and plastic do not take any damage from being bent over the wire insulation in my experience. But if you are afraid you could try heating the plastic a tiny bit before the installation, be careful not to heat it up to much so the glue gets broken.

The only damage would be done if you superglue the insulation (like I have done) to the plastic ring, and later want to remove it. Recommend to cut the insulation I little bit longer than mine (easier to install) and just tape it in place to experiment with how many bass port you need.

C640C9A6-9EC2-4C14-8DEE-AAD6D04ADBE8.jpeg

It is more difficult to attach the ear pads after the mod, but just use some force, they can handle it. Also try to install the insulation in the middle of the clips

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #1,777 of 3,880
It's not uncommon that moving drivers ever so slightly further away from your ears can boost/pronounce the perception of bass, but I did notice this happening in very favourable ways with the HE6se. As such, I've just ordered a much thicker pair of pads to see how this might change the sound signature. I'll report back once I have my replacement headphones and the pads have arrived.
I tried with Audeze Vegan pads and Mr. Speakers Ether pads, but didn’t notice the big impact improvement that the bass ports made. I actually prefer the stock pads, the are comfy for longer listening sessions

EDIT: I didn’t mean to say anything negative about your purchase, most people prefer pad swap on the HE6SE, I’m just the rare case of the one who didn’t.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,779 of 3,880
I am thinking to buy new cable for my 6SE V2. I couldn't decide if I go with copper or hybrid. Now I am using my headphones with EQ, -3db 3k , +1db 1.5k and +3db for the sub bass area. I am open to any suggestions. I couldn't decide if I go with Forza HPC Noir or Hybrid Noir. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,780 of 3,880
I am thinking to buy new cable for my 6SE V2. I couldn't decide if I go with copper or hybrid. Now I am using my headphones with EQ, -3db 3k , +1db 1.5k and +3db for the sub bass area. I am open to any suggestions. I couldn't decide if I go with Forza HPC Noir or Hybrid Noir. Thanks.
If you want bass, try hover your headphones a few millimetres over your ear. Like it? Go with the bass port mod I posted earlier.

People who believe in audible differences from cable material say Silver for treble, copper for warmer bass and mids, hybrid for a mix of both.. Litz can have it’s advantage if you run longer cables, other than that, I would chose the cable you most like the look of. Read reviews about their soft-ness and how easy the tangles before you buy. Canare Kable based customs are a safe bet.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,781 of 3,880
Any OFC copper cable - from DIY to some crazy $800 pair will crush the stock cable.

Were you asking for help with EQ? Some of the newer outfits give nice FR results. But they all recommend a ridiculously high setting under 100 Hz because of totally inept and wrong headed logic. They only do FR. All planars ring. Check into waterfall plots and be ready to do a very narrow deep dip on the two worst areas. You need a parametric EQ with 10 bands to get into that. 6 band is OK too, but it has to be parametric to actually serve the 6se decently.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,782 of 3,880
The problem with very deep pads is that they act almost like a horn. Some frequencies enhanced (a-musical and not controlable) others frequencies cancelled. Overall sound esp in the mids - echos, veiled sound.

Increasing bass on a very good bass can to the point where the music is sacrificed for some goose bumps makes no sense to me, never has.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,784 of 3,880

You will need to jump to the Abyss to quell the FOMO. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,785 of 3,880
Any OFC copper cable - from DIY to some crazy $800 pair will crush the stock cable.

Were you asking for help with EQ? Some of the newer outfits give nice FR results. But they all recommend a ridiculously high setting under 100 Hz because of totally inept and wrong headed logic. They only do FR. All planars ring. Check into waterfall plots and be ready to do a very narrow deep dip on the two worst areas. You need a parametric EQ with 10 bands to get into that. 6 band is OK too, but it has to be parametric to actually serve the 6se decently.

Thanks, so instead of going with silver/copper hybrid cable , pure copper would be better match for he6se? I was thinking to order pure copper but then I thought if I sacrifice the details and separation.

I’ve provided my eq settings to highlight my sound preference. I find he6se v2 little bit bright with flat eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back